Stannis' Kingsguard

Alexei

Why Stannis doesn't have his Kingsguard? Does he think he doesn't have enough good knight or he just doesn't wanna bother with it? Or do you think he will do something similar that Renly did, make his own "Fireguard"? All dressed in red with a burning heart to signify their devotion to the Lord of Light,

Doesn't want to bother with it, and recognises that it is pretty pointless. He has many knights around him that he trusts, and that protect him - without being in a fancy kingsguard - Massey, Horpe, Suggs etc. It could block some potential marriages, that could benefit Stannis - for example, as he is hoping to marry Justin Massey to Asha.

He might be waiting until he gets on the Iron Throne, but even then I don't see him forming a Kingsguard.

He is no true king.

I bet it's something to do with Mel. Stannis trusts the bare minimum of his followers, and I reckon Mel just wanted him all to herself. More privacy. More influence.

Plus, Stannis seems so disillusioned with any notion of chivalry, grandeur or brotherhood. That's pretty much what KG stand for. He'd probably say something like ''Why should I have 7 knights sworn to die for me, when all my knights are sworn to fight to death for me?'', albeit in actual Stannis-speak.

He believes himself to be the true king (rightfully imho), that would be all the reason you need to have a kingsguard (see Renly)

I think his most trusted knights are the ones he took with him to march on Winterfell, the ones he cares less about he left at the Wall. Also i think the Kingsguard has something to do with the religion of the Seven (knighthood, 7 persons), which is not Stannis religion anymore. I'm sure he has his most trusted men, like Horpe and Massey, close to him. If i remember well, they were the ones that convinced him to retreat at the Blackwater, so they would have been near him during that battle.

I think he will eventually make a kings guard but at the current time he is fighting a war… needs allies (so marriages are important) and again although i support stannis… he doesn't have many allies… or troops…

So if he named a kings guard only for them to die, i don't think he would waste his time… if he wins the war different story…

He might think there should only be one Kingsguard, the one who serves the King on the IT. If he makes his own Kingsguard before he is crowned, he looks more like a usurper.

This.

Stannis believes that he is the rightful king of the 7k and thus the KG of the IT belong to him.

Stannis is at war he is fighting for the realm he is only one who is doing anything he knows the WW are the real threat .Stannis doesn't need a Kingsguard at the moment but if he takes kings landing he will pick seven swords to protect his family .

Perhaps he feels his guards should earn their cloaks. I dont believe even Robert named all them at once. Arys Oakheart for example seams to fresh.

Probably Robert started with two and then he added the other guys, most of them probably as political favours.

The difference with Stannis is that he would probably want to make it right.

Only Renly is stupid enough to give his cloaks because of nothing.

He believes himself to be the true king (rightfully imho), that would be all the reason you need to have a kingsguard (see Renly)

I think his most trusted knights are the ones he took with him to march on Winterfell, the ones he cares less about he left at the Wall. Also i think the Kingsguard has something to do with the religion of the Seven (knighthood, 7 persons), which is not Stannis religion anymore. I'm sure he has his most trusted men, like Horpe and Massey, close to him. If i remember well, they were the ones that convinced him to retreat at the Blackwater, so they would have been near him during that battle.

Excellent point about the seven.

Isn´t kind of blasphemist to use the sacred number of the "faith." Surely a fireguard of a different number would be more appropriate. Or nothing at all. Are Rhollorist really into celibacy that much to begin with.

Also, I doubt Stannis ever met a KG he liked.

Isn´t kind of blasphemist to use the sacred number of the "faith." Surely a fireguard of a different number would be more appropriate. Or nothing at all. Are Rhollorist really into celibacy that much to begin with.

I'm sure he Atleast respected Selmy. Who does Stannis truly like? Davos is the only

Person one could argue, but that didn't stop LB from almost taking off his head.

- You don't need a KG to have an effective force of bodyguards.

- KG roles are quite rigid, and Stannis doesn't have competent knights to waste on permanent bodyguard duty. How he uses Horpe and Massey, for example, is quite variable. He used them both to meet with northern nobles, he has Horpe leading the vanguard of his march, he has Massey as an envoy to the Iron Bank, and he considers marriage pacts for the both of them. While he could always make them his KG and still use them in most of these ways, it defeats the purpose of having them be KG anyway.

- The whole ceremonial aspect is something I can't see him wasting his time on while there's still a war to fight. The guy doesn't even wear fancy clothes, I doubt he's going to spend time recreating his own elaborate order of fancy knights.

- Limited stock to choose from. Richard Horpe is the only one I would actually consider, and he seems to have his eyes set on a lordship.

Cart meet horse.

I imagine Stannis would appoint a Kingsguard if he won his war. Then he has time to scour Robert's old guard of traitors and appoint those who have served him in a leal manner.

:agree: Considering the fact that he is not Renly, a man hung up on ceremony, he neither wants to establish a new order of knights or appoint a new Kingguard if there since one technically exists. As he believe himself to be the "one true king" he probably views that there is only one KG. If he were ever to come into the throne he would probably dismiss the members or disband it entirely.

We can't be sure, but i bet he liked Ser Barristan. If Barristan came to him instead of Daeneris, i think he would create his own KG and make Barristan Lord Commander.

We can't be sure, but i bet he liked Ser Barristan. If Barristan came to him instead of Daeneris, i think he would create his own KG and make Barristan Lord Commander.

No. Chances are that Barristan would be the Lord Commander and the only member of Stannis´ Kingsguard.

Unfortunately Princess and Queen does NOT say what happened to Cargyll twins - specifically, when they met and killed each other.

But when Kingsguard split, 4 (old Lord Commander ser Criston Cole, Arryk Cargyll, Rickard Thorne, Willis Fell) for Greens, 3 (Lorent Marbrand, Erryk Cargyll, Steffon Darklyn) formed Queensguard, then neither party was in a hurry to complement their team. Greens appointed no new white cloaks till ser Marston Waters (by which time ser Criston Cole was confirmed dead, and so were Cargyll twins and the whole Queensguard). Blacks promptly appointed Lord Commander (Steffon Darklyn), but actual new members are first attested during the riots at King´s Landing.

But blacks DID exceed the complement of 7. They may have confirmed the deaths of Arryk and Criston, but they never caught the false knights Rickard Thorne and Willis Fell. And their own complement was 6 by the riots - Lord Commander Lorent Marbrand, members Glendon Goode, Lyonel Bentley, Harrold Darke, Adrian Redfort, Loreth Lansdale. So including the false knights that were legitimate old Kingsguard, it makes 8.

Yet, while Barristan is missing, Stannis WOULD have the vacancies of Preston Greenfield and Mandon Moore. And Arys Oakheart. Does he consider refilling these?

Archived