Edinburgh Book Festival - GRRM attending

GRRM has been announced as "headlining" the EBF this year, although I doubt that means any more than he is doing a signing and a panel or two. Even so, anyone in the UK or between August 9th and 25th may want to check it out.

the actual event schedule will be published in June, according to the website

https://www.edbookfest.co.uk/

Apparently the events are now known - he is doing two presentations/discussions, one at 8pm on Monday 11th and one at 3pm on Tuesday 12th.

See pages 15 and 17 of the brochure -

https://d3v4sx4i2y2qe1.cloudfront.net/cdnstatic/4ad48ebeb9cc891277cf40b82153b726d1915b8a/uploads/programme_pdfs/2014_edinburgh_international_book_festival_brochure.pdf

[mod]

Rarely has a thread so quickly gone off-topic. This is about the Book Festival. Discussion of Scottish people taking control of their strategic haggis reserves should be done in General chat. thanks

[/mod]

[mod]

Rarely has a thread so quickly gone off-topic. This is about the Book Festival. Discussion of Scottish people taking control of their strategic haggis reserves should be done in General chat. thanks

[/mod]

From The Guardian ( who are sponsoring one of his appearances)

The festival takes place just weeks before Scotland's independence referendum on 18 September, and Barley said that speakers from "all points of view" would be tackling the topic. "The political discourse has been a bit one-dimensional on the subject so we have historians, academics and novelists all addressing it," he said. "What's at stake here is the future of these islands we're about to make a decision which affects them. And the book festival has become a really important forum for public debate."

Barley said the festival was taking place in the context of the Scottish referendum, the Commonwealth Games in Scotland, and the first world war centenary, as well as the rise of the extreme right in Europe. "Really important writing takes place against a backdrop of what's happening in the world, so all the authors will be talking with that in the background. For me, writing makes sense of what is going on," he said. "And book festivals are a place of thoughtfulness a place to reflect on where we are in the world."

It would be astonishing if GRRM was not asked his opinion on the referendum

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[mod]

[/mod]

I'd like to say that, as a Scot, I find this very offensive. Haggis is not mined. They are wild animals only found in the highlands of Scotland that are hunted. Not only is the Haggis Hunt a key part of our economy but it is a very significant aspect of Scottish culture. Please check your facts before posting in the future to avoid more offensive comments.

Archived