Lady Stoneheart's state of mind.

Mr. James

I understand why her character is where it is at this point & that Brienne appears as if she has broken her oath. I was just saying that given the same circumstances before this I think Cat would've dealt with it differently that UnCat. Whether that is because she has been brought back to life or it is because of all the hardships she's had I'm not sure. My guess would be a little of both. It is still hard, as a reader, to not get angry about how Cat is dealing with Brienne because we know she is anything but an Oath breaker.

Brienne is very much an oath breaker. She swore to obey Catelyn then refused a straight forward order from her. Textbook oathbreaking.

Note that despite all the material evidence against Brienne she was still given a chance to prove her innocence by obeying the order. But she refused.

Before reaching the Twins and even after the Starks and their men arrive..we see that Catelyn feels that something is wrong. She asks for salt and bread( a custom of hospitality from the host that grants protection for the guests) and after that she keeps having a bad feeling. Call it female instinct or motherly awareness...but she does feel something bad is going to happen.

There are two other hints while she is traveling:

1. She talks about some powerful houses that perished and their castles became ruins.=> I see it as a way of foreshadowing the 'death' of the Starks.

At that point Bran,Ned,Rickon, Arya were dead, Sansa was married with a Lannister and Jon Snow was a bastard at the Wall.

2. She sees that the Mormont women are strong fighters and she wishes she could fight with a sword to protect her children.

As Lady Stoneheart she finds the strenght to avenge the wrong that was done to her family.

I wish I could provide the exact quotes..but my books are in Romanian.

Lady Stoneheart lost all. She might not be entirely Catelyn, but her former self is in there somewhere. The Catelyn in her remembers, Lady Stoneheart is the one after revenge.. I am not judging her for her wrath. She has suffered in the worst way. It's never easy for a mother to lose her children and ...well the last memory she has is of Robb being murdered.

I think it is understandably that she will seek revenge. But revenge is never sweet, as it is a double edged sword..so I think it will take a toll on her eventually.

Is she crazy? I don't know. She was dead for 3 days in water. Her brain might be damaged. And also the whole reanimation might have changed her a bit too.

I have 2 questions for you. I am curious how she would react in the next situations:

1.Will she have a change of heart/mind when she is reunited with her kids. She knows Sansa is alive...but how would she react if she would know that Rickon and Bran are alive too?

2. If the R+L=J theory is true and at some point UnCat finds out about it. Would she be able of feeling remorse for 'accusing' Ned of infidelity? Would she regret treating Jon the way she did?

Archived