Could Ned have used Mance & Others as an excuse for not being Robert's Hand

ANDYJTArrant

Hi, I've been on this forum for a while and I don't think I've seen this before.

We all know that Ned Stark really didn't want to go south to KL to be Robert's Hand. So could he have used Mance's wildling army and the others as a way of not having to go?

Ned states early in AGoT that he will eventually have to go north to deal with the king beyond the wall. Also, when executing Gared he implies that he believes the white walkers may have returned.

I realise that Robert like most people wouldn't believe that the others are real, but if Ned had said to him that he needed to stay at Winterfell to deal with an invasion would it have got him out of the handship?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

He did not want to be Robert's hand. But I think the letter from Lysa changed it all & from then on going south & investigating the whole thing became his priority. Being a hand is also the perfect position to investigate about the former Hand's death given that the Hand is second only to the King.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

He did not want to be Robert's hand. But I think the letter from Lysa changed it all & from then on going south & investigating the whole thing became his priority. Being a hand is also the perfect position to investigate about the former Hand's death given that the Hand is second only to the King.

I dont think that neede to be the hand to investigate it would have been beter off if he had told robert about the investigation and tell him to help.and him being hand didnt give him enough power to do anything becouce littlefinger and varys had even more power than him

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
Absolutely not, Ned could explain to Robert until blue in the face the suspected threat of the others advancing, Robert does not come from a culture that reveres the nights watch and their TRUE purpose. If Ned had tried to use mance as an excuse to not go south Robert would have said, "that's what the nights watch is for," and keep stride. That's all in addition to the fact that Ned is one of those people that can't bullshit someone very well because he would be bullshitting himself. Ned knows the truth, and that's that there isn't really anything STOPPING him; not wanting to go is another question.

Hm I had the impression that potential Hands have the option to decline the position and that Ned was half-considering it until Lysa's letter. I had the impression most of Ned's inner conflict about the whole Hand business was how he should stomach to refuse a request to his oldest and best friend.

Archived