Fashion - for The Children edition

Fragile Bird

It's so cold in KC and only getting colder! I have been on the hunt for a long puffer that doesn't look frumpy yet still gives me a good range of motion. My boyfriend grew up out here and is fine with a hoodie. Not me.

Are you looking for down filling? I would. The others are not very warm.

It just so happens that Talbots is running a 50% off one item sale (or 40% off the rest of the things) and they have a pretty nice puffer coat.

Linky: http://www.talbots.com/online/browse/product_details.jsp?id=prdi34064&N=11334&selectedConcept=

$100 isn't a bad price for a good down-filled coat.

I've had good luck with LL Bean winter coats. I am not sure if they're sufficiently unfrumpy, but then again I don't really care about that when it's below freezing. For style, I wear a sleek wool coat, which will serve me well until it dips below 25F. When I go out somewhere fancy and need a warm coat over a cocktail dress, I bust out the vintage fur I inherited from my grandmother.

• 4 weeks later...

I ended up getting a wool one from Target. It's warm enough for mow and has a good fit. I had been at Marshall's next door and the long North Face parka I had my eye on was sold out...meaning a lady heard me tell my daughter I needed to get the North Face since it was half off (250) and the last one. She literally went over to that section and picked it up. there were 3, only 1 in my size...and hers. I was so pissed. But I did save 200 bucks, lol. Mid January is when it gets REALLY cold, so I figured I would wait to see what Santa brings and then order one if needed.

On the otehr hand, I did get 2 pairs of the Sam Edelman Penny boots and some leather Sporto snow boots that I am in love with. I have the tall suede snow boots that someone posted on here last year or the year before...the Joan of Arc Sorrell ones, but they are hard to wear.

• 2 weeks later...

It is nice to be buying "regular" clothes. First I have a picture of is a sweater dress with ribbed knit leggins and short boots (and believe it or not, the dress and leggings are from Wal-mart. I think it is one of the best $25 outfits I have ever had)

Got the boots at Belk during the after Christmas sale, 40% off!

There was a fancy dress I posted a while back that I wanted, and I got it and had pictures taken in it. Will post soon (well, it was a cheap similar dress to the one I posted, but pretty close)

More to come soon...

Lany, you look fantastic. :thumbsup:

I also really like the dress you linked, I would totally want to wear something like that, only I would not have any opportunity to wear it. :P

I got two dresses for New Year that are a bit less formal and I am going to wear though. One. Two (looks a bit like the curtain dresses from The Sound of Music. :leaving: I like that it has a wavy whirly skirt though).

Lany, you look fantastic. :thumbsup:

I also really like the dress you linked, I would totally want to wear something like that, only I would not have any opportunity to wear it. :P

I got two dresses for New Year that are a bit less formal and I am going to wear though. One. Two (looks a bit like the curtain dresses from The Sound of Music. :leaving: I like that it has a wavy whirly skirt though).

Thanks

those dresses are both very pretty!

Today I am wearing a Benetton sweater I got in 1986. I'm pretty sure this sweater came to my knees when I got it but now it comes to my hips! It was so completely cool and in when I got it but now its so completely unfashionable that it goes beyond being unfashionable and is just eccentric at this point. But it is sooo warm! What is what really matters when its sub zero weather. Probably the only reason I don't mind a week of sub zero temperatures is the chance to revisit these Benetton sweaters from my youth. I keep them around for this week of nostalgia every year.

I'd like to start wearing skirts over my leggings. As a slightly bigger girl, I've always felt self-conscious wearing skirts, even though more of me will actually be covered up :laugh: I want some short-ish, flattering skirts for someone short and size 14-16 (UK). Think I'll brave the shops tomorrow. I'm also going to look for a flannel shirt while I'm at it.

I'd like to start wearing skirts over my leggings. As a slightly bigger girl, I've always felt self-conscious wearing skirts, even though more of me will actually be covered up :laugh: I want some short-ish, flattering skirts for someone short and size 14-16 (UK). Think I'll brave the shops tomorrow. I'm also going to look for a flannel shirt while I'm at it.

Drac, you'll find this to be the most comfortable and practical outfit for cold weather. I have a whole pile of short skirts for winter that I wear with boots and leggings. At 35, I said to hell with the "No Miniskirts Over 35" rule. They're comfortable and they keep my butt warm.

Speaking of boots, santa picked these up for me:

Good luck with the skirts, Drac!

I find I like the combination of a black/dark grey skirt or dress and a brightly coloured pair of leggings/tights. I wanted to try it out with my new dresses, but they are both patterned and adding another colour on the legs does not seem like a good idea (I will probably wear a shirt of some colour under them, so I will not exactly look like out of a black-and-white movie).

Drac, you'll find this to be the most comfortable and practical outfit for cold weather. I have a whole pile of short skirts for winter that I wear with boots and leggings. At 35, I said to hell with the "No Miniskirts Over 35" rule. They're comfortable and they keep my butt warm.

Speaking of boots, santa picked these up for me:

I used to worry that I didn't have anything to wear on the top, but I mostly wear oversized shirts with designs on them now. I can totally rock a t-shirt and skirt, right? Plus military boots.

Drac, you'll find this to be the most comfortable and practical outfit for cold weather. I have a whole pile of short skirts for winter that I wear with boots and leggings.

I will second, third, and fourth this. Seriously, skirt + leggings + knee-high boots is much warmer than trousers. I've done the R&D.

I will second, third, and fourth this. Seriously, skirt + leggings + knee-high boots is much warmer than trousers. I've done the R&D.

Ditto on this. Plus it looks really cute without being bulky.

I've got a hankerin' for leggings and boots too - with a skirt, of course.

I've got a low hip-length deep purple merino wool open sweater/jacket that I've been dying to wear but can't come up with a skirt to wear with it. I'm sick of wearing pants all the time!

I'm not a skirt person, but I tend to wear dresses with leggings a lot, and I picked up these.

Although I'm pissed that I bought these at £47.50 instead of the current price.... :o they are really bloody comfy though, and my calves are a little too wide to fit into regular boots like these, but these have like a slit at the top so my legs fit in. :D

Archived