How would you rate episode 410?

Ran

How would you rate episode 410?  

1,081 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

Never got that impression in the books , in the fight with Biter and Rorge things got nasty , I did not get the impression that Brienne had a 'genital heart' then, well she's a little one dimensional in the books, in the show she has been less so.

Actually, I'm glad you brought that up. How she acts in the fight with Biter and Rorge is a desperate act of self-defense against these creeps who are literally eating her face off. It's Brienne pushed to her absolute brink. This was just a cheap, dirty, Mike Tysonesque move in a fight that she started.

It really was in joint place with episode 7 as the finest of the season, and one of the best so far in the series. I was really worried about where the Sandor, Brienne and Arya scene was going but it worked out narratively and dramatically perfect. I'd have preferred the full list of grievances of Tywin towards Tyrion being made more apparent, because he really is one of the worst characters in the whole series and deserves worse than what he gets. Let's hope we don't get cheated out of Gregor's full gruesome fate through mortification. Apart from that, the only thing they got wrong was the anticlimactic Bloodraven revelation, so I hope they actually do justice to the transformation of Bran. Anyway, it came at the end of a thrilling build up that has been so far the highpoint of Bran's travellling far North. The scene with Dany letting go of her dragons was genuinely heartbreaking, incidentally, though I was underwhelmed by the way that Martin treated that in the books.

9/10. Loved it for the most part. No LSH didn't bother me; I think D&D want to keep that card available to play next season as there will be fewer opportunities for Big Reveals and other such events than there were this season.

Positives:

- Qyburn going all frankenGregor had me cackling. The actor does such a fine job of conveying Qyburn's...enthusiasm for his work.

- All the stuff with Mance, Jon and Stannis was superb. The decision to make the change from "Stannis! Stannis!" to the more subtle reveal of Stannis and Davos riding in to an especially thunderous Warrior of Light musical cue was a fantastically bad ass moment. Mance's refusal to kneel, Jon's words in his defense - it was all outstanding. The later scene with the funeral pyre of the black brothers and the wordless glance between Jon and Melisandre was excellent as well.

- Brienne and the Hound - yes, I realize what a major departure this was from the book. I don't care. It was a fantastic scene that made perfect sense in the context of the story.

- Daenerys chaining Rhaegal and Viseryon - This scene affected me more than I thought it would. Emilia Clarke's acting this season has been uneven and at times very wooden, but I felt she nailed the importance of this pivotal scene perfectly.

Negatives:

- I thought the Bran action scene was a bit lackluster and confusing. Leaf tossing fireballs registered high on the WTF-o-meter. Bloodraven reveal was OK but I expected more dramatic/scary makeup and prosthetics. As another poster implied, he just looked like an old man sitting in a throne made out of roots. The mystery is still there but could have had greater impact. I had no issue with Jojen's death as the book makes it quite clear that he's a goner anyway.

- This is just a personal nitpick, but I've been waiting since Charles Dance was first introduced as Tywin in S1E7 to hear him disdainfully utter the line "Wherever whores go." Dammit! And obviously, excising the Tysha bit from Jaime/Tyrion's interaction made that entire sequence (and Tyrion's story going forward) a lot less interesting than it could've been for reasons previously discussed in this thread.

Ignorant Bog Woman,

I haven't updated all the episodes to their latest scores, but most of them should be pretty close:

Episode 1: 8.18 (of 661 votes)

Episode 2: 8.41 (of 595 votes)

Episode 3: 6.98 (of 597 votes)

Episode 4: 7.78 (of 633 votes)

Episode 5: 7.40 (of 509 votes)

Episode 6: 8.76 (of 666 votes)

Episode 7: 8.28 (of 802 votes)

Episode 8: 8.12 (of 744 votes)

Episode 9: 8.00 (of 840 votes)

Episode 10: 7.53 (of 436 votes)

I don't know how to interpret this except to say that the union of this forum and HBO viewers has a lot of disjointness.

It looks to me that ~18.4 HBO (gross) paying viewers are voting with their pockets books vs <1000 forum commentators voting a number.

If the season average for HBO is ~ 18 million per week (god know what it is worldwide)... HBO has hit on their hands.

I am gonna guess those 38 voters who voted a 1, will be watching all 10 episodes next year.

An easy 10 for me and one of the best of the series so far. My friends also loved it. I did think that the Tyrion scenes seemed a little rushed, but it didn't ruin my enjoyment of the episode. I would have liked to know how Shae got back to King's Landing though. Did she go back on her own and betray Tyrion when she found out he was on trial? Was she forced to betray him? I had originally thought it was the latter, but then she tried to kill him without saying anything...

I have seen some complaints about Arya not getting into The Vale, but it makes sense to me. I think she'd rather be on her own at this point (Or with Jon) than stuck with strangers she doesn't know and can't trust. My only real complaint was that the episode seemed too short :)

Actually, I'm glad you brought that up. How she acts in the fight with Biter and Rorge is a desperate act of self-defense against these creeps who are literally eating her face off. It's Brienne pushed to her absolute brink. This was just a cheap, dirty, Mike Tysonesque move in a fight that she started.

It's hard to day where Sandor was going with his end of things , looked like when push came to shove , he was gonna push. So Brienne just decided to short circuit the whole thing.

Anyway isn't that why the UFL is beathing Boxing in the ratings right now?

Edited by boojam

I don't think the episode was a "1" by any means. That's ridiculous. The acting, costumes, and sets have always been superb on this show. For the show to be a "1," I'd have to see actors struggling to deliver lines, watches left on characters' wrists, and cheap props for a set.

Just as dumb as voting "1," however, is voting "10." Sorry, but I don't see how anyone could honestly rate this as "100% - perfect," unless they're just asininely trying to counter asinine "1's." For any fan, seeing HBO mangle the events at King's Landing alone (Jaime's regression rather than progression, Cersei's whitewashing, a rushed rescue of Tyrion, the removal of Tysha and the revelation of that betrayal, Tywin's final confrontation with Tyrion being weaselly and weak instead of proud and defiant) should take it out of "perfect" eligibility.

Edited by Anarchosaurus Rex

I voted 7. What I liked:

-Brienne vs the Hound: They did make the fight nice to watch, even if this never happened.

-Season 4 Arya's ending: It's rather faithful to the source material and I can't wait to see show Braavos.

-Peter Dinklage and Nikolai Waldu performances: Like always, Peter is just a treat for the eyes and the ears and Nikolai is getting better and better even if he is already a great actor.

-Jon and Melisandre first encounter: It's good foreshadowing.

-Sandor's fate: Nice to see they left ambiguous his status. It also reinforce that one theory that he is the Grave Digger.

What I didn't like:

-No Tysha: I mean c'mon! They even mentioned her in season 1 (or was it 2?), why didn't they mention her here? People will start to be less sympathetic to Tyrion and they'll think he killed his father on a whim. Would it really have been that difficult to mention her a couple times more throughout the season and then make Jaime show some regret for that one event? This really pissed me off way more than anything else that has happened in this season.

-No Lady StoneHeart: Obviously...Such a waste. Even if D&D were to show her in Season 5 would it matter anymore?

Her reappereance should've been the typical "WTF!?" ending. Bah.

-BloodRaven: ...Sooo that's Brynden? An old man with both eyes and a Merlyn beard?So cliched...

-Jojen's death: I can get why they killed Grenn, Pyp, Mago and similar characters. But Jojen!? He's way too important to kill him off like that and then get away with an Harry Potter line such as "I didn't want anyone to die for me".

-Gregor scene: Why did they show him being alive? Why did they have to make it obvious that he can be saved? What's left now for season 5? Nothing.

This episode felt rushed, poorly planned and I really hope they'll stick more to the source material in season 5. I know it's foolish to hope something like that but I really don't want the show to become bad.

This season was a 7.0 or a 6.8 for me. It has great episodes and great scenes but also a bad pacing and a worse structure.

Edited by Daemon I Blackfyre

Master and Commander - A two! Good grief! That's really brutal. And I thought I was bad for giving episode 6 a 7 because I hated Asha's botched Dreadfort rescue, but that was more than just a mild divergence: that was actually plain bad.

Edited by The Killer Snark

As soon as i saw the skeleton wights I had a feeling they reminded me of something - now I know: they are taken right out of Tomb Raider 4. Well, it was the best TR out of the first 6.

Regarding the questions how they became skeletons and how skeletons move with out muscles and sinews:

1. I assume they are very very old wights. The White Walkers probably positioned them there to prevent people from getting to the COTF hundreds or maybe even thousands of years ago.

2. Age old skeletons come to life and attack people and you worry about plain mechanics???

Edited by BlackTalon

I give it a 3. For me it was the biggest disappointment out of any episode in the series so far. I liked the parts at the wall but everything in Brans story was terribly executed. Killing off Jojen and then to not even show Bran be upset about it, the sketchy CGI for the wights that made them look like the Draugrs from skyrim, and the fireballs all felt out of place. There didn't seem to be any sense of wonder or amazement at actually meeting one of the children of the forest. Also BR didn't look like I had hoped for. It seemed like the show runners are now trying to set up every character interaction possible. Adding the fight between the hound and brienne was a prime example of this. Tyrion and Jamie was a real let down and the rest of Tyrions parts were a bit underwhelming. Also no Lady Stoneheart was upsetting. I am seriously considering giving up on the show at least till the books are done. Maybe after I've read everything in a few years I can go back and look differently on the show.

I don't think the episode was a "1" by any means. That's ridiculous. The acting, costumes, and sets have always been superb on this show. For the show to be a "1," I'd have to see actors struggling to deliver lines, watches left on characters' wrists, and cheap props for a set.

Just as dumb as voting "1," however, is voting "10." Sorry, but I don't see how anyone could honestly rate this as "100% - perfect," unless they're just asininely trying to counter asinine "1's." For any fan, seeing HBO mangle the events at King's Landing alone (Jaime's regression rather than progression, Cersei's whitewashing, a rushed rescue of Tyrion, the removal of Tysha and the revelation of that betrayal, Tywin's final confrontation with Tyrion being weaselly and weak instead of proud and defiant) should take it out of "perfect" eligibility.

Exactly, 1/10 is ridiculous and unfair (a tantrum) however, the 10 mark having the most votes is really irritating me. The episode was very good but given the material it was based on, it could have been much better. I don't understand how any book reader can rate this as a 10? Yes, I know the show and books are different but the show is still based of the books and when they alter things- usually to simplify- it gets frustrating when the book version is much more raw and complex. With the right portrayal and build up (less talk on beetles and more on Tysha for example) things could be cinematic gold.

GRRM has made a world full of complex characters and it saddens me (although, I expect it) when the show favours fan favourability over making a character more complex. Yes, I am talking about Tyrion.

It could have been much better (LS being blaringly obvious as the PERFECT final scene) but I will re-watch it and try to focus on not what my expectations were, but what is being presented to me. However, setting the books and show apart is not something I can do. The show is an adaption of the books and the source material. Of course I am going to compare the two and judge how well portrayed the characters and scenes are and what the changes add to the story.

Edited by ~DarkHorse~

what is the problem that you are so angry about? all the main characters are pretty much where they are supposed to be. Dany has locked up 2 of her dragons while the 3rd one is flying wild. Bran is where he is supposed to be, So is Sansa and Aya. All three are safe and going to learn and finish growing into what they need to be. Terion has did his thing and is now on the lame, Varys has left town. John has met Stannis and red lady. the hound is dying.

cersei is set to run amok being queen regent trying to kill or plotting to kill everyone. Lady SH will have to make her entrance next year.

Yeah, oftentimes our position is confused with just objecting to "any changes at all." Far from it. I understand that in adapting a story from one medium to another, changes are necessary. Certain things need to be cut or condensed. The problem is not the principle of change, but rather the quality of the changes. When you look at some of the pointless things they play up or even create themselves, the skimping on other parts of the story becomes harder to tolerate. And I'm not just talking about gratuitous nudity in the brothels or whatever. This past episode was boob-free, but never has the show been more rudderless. It's plain as day that the writers have no appreciation of the characters in this story. They make them dance around like puppets on strings, doing whatever they want from week to week and even scene to scene. Characterization is the greatest strength of ASoIaF, yet it's HBO's greatest weakness. The acting, costumes, and sets are superb. The writing is deplorable.

I'm sick of being called a "whiner," and having my objections to the derailing of the story I love dismissed as "nitpicking." I mean, I thought this forum was a place for fans of ASoIaF?

A lot of show groupies scoff at criticism of the show. "Oh, yeah, sure. You'll be watching next year either way, ha ha. *pats self on the back*"

I would never stop watching the show for quality reasons. As godawful as the direction D&D are taking GoT is, it's still the definitive adaptation of one of my favorite stories of all time. It's a major part of pop culture. It's in the zeitgeist. I simply have to know what's going on, even if it makes me want to claw at my face like Lady Stoneheart at times.

I would, however, stop watching for spoiler reasons. There's just no way I'm going to let these doofuses spoil the epic conclusion for me. Who knows how they'd botch it? No, just no.

If GRRM doesn't come out with WoW before Season 5, then he's failed. Even if he does, he's still running out of time.

Fuck that. Random pointless brothel scenes in every other fucking episode, Tyrion and Shae ad naseum. But, not a minute for Stoneheart? Fuck that. Did I say fuck that? I don't care whether she got two chapters or not. If we got Pod in a brothel, we should get Stoneheart. Fuck them.

AMEN.

Gotta vent, guys....

I am so underwhelmed (like others, I think) by the Wall material. Out of all the things I was looking forward to this season, I think Stannis's arrival at the Wall was #2 and I was extremely disappointed in how downplayed I felt it was. In the books I feel like that is such a powerful moment, and it was a great opportunity to take advantage of George's writing... but nope. On the positive, I am so happy to see Stannis and Davos back in the game. Stannis realizing who Jon is was a great scene, and so was the scene with Melisandre staring at Jon across the fire. I LOVE when they play with foreshadowing in this show.

I loved the scene with Qyburn and Cersei, it was like a sample of things to come with season 5. Robert Strong confirmed.

I also loved the scenes with Daenerys. Locking her babies away... and also chaining up her true self, it was a powerful scene. Definitely made me have some feels and left me wanting more.

I liked the Hound and Brienne scene until the fighting just became unrealistic. I was praying to all seven Gods the whole time that Arya wouldn't kill the Hound, and thus kill the Gravedigger theory, but it looks like we're still fully on for that one as well :) Thank you D&D! Arya going to Braavos as the last scene... puts in perspective how important her storyline is yet to be. Also, for all those complaining that Arya and Sandor didn't stay at the Vale -- that would have changed the entire story...Come on now. And I don't think Killer!Arya gives two shits about some highborn, crazy aunt she has never met.

I loved seeing my very favorite parts of this story translated onto screen, don't get me wrong... but the lack of special effects with the Bran material just made me cringe. Why is that Child of the Forest a dirty, tiny human? Why is Bloodraven Pycelle's brother and not a tree? Why are the Children of the Forest throwing hand grenades? WHERE THE HELL IS COLDHANDS? I am just grateful they scripted some awesome dialogue straight from the source! A thousand eyes and one... You will fly... I loved that. Sad about Jojen, but we all knew it would happen. I don't mind book spoilers so much.

The final scene was good. I don't give a fig about Tysha, I'm actually relieved they didn't put it in. It was a powerful scene. I believe they're going to replace the Tysha issues with Shae anyway.

Seriously, too much time & money spent on reanimated skeletons and not enough time spend on shit that actually matters. Just like the rest of this show. I love ASOIAF, and I will keep watching because I love this story as a whole. I am not rating this episode. I don't even know what to think.

what is the problem that you are so angry about? all the main characters are pretty much where they are supposed to be. Dany has locked up 2 of her dragons while the 3rd one is flying wild. Bran is where he is supposed to be, So is Sansa and Aya. All three are safe and going to learn and finish growing into what they need to be. Terion has did his thing and is now on the lame, Varys has left town. John has met Stannis and red lady. the hound is dying.

cersei is set to run amok being queen regent trying to kill or plotting to kill everyone. Lady SH will have to make her entrance next year.

Yeah, everyone's in the proper physical location - sort of - but that's not the point. I'm talking about their characterization, their development. I'd be fine with Jaime going off gallivanting in Dorne rather than the Riverlands so long as they kept his character development the same.