How would you rate episode 410?

Ran

How would you rate episode 410?  

1,081 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

It's an interesting thing about human psychology where regardless of how good something is, the most vocal and visible of any group will be the people who just want to complain. You see examples of it all the time in the public.

How often have any of us been inclined to return to a store to tell the employee just how helpful they were? Very few I would wager. How many of us have been very vocal about even the most minor of complaints and made sure the employees knew about it? Very many I would wager.

The size of the nitpick thread is no testament to the quality of this show (or lack thereof). It is a testament to the fact that some people just want to bitch. (I am now also guilty of this, the irony is not lost on me)

Some of you people are just plain ridiculous. No, the show is not perfect. No, I do not agree with many of the changes they have made. Yes, I wish they were closer to the books. However, it seems as if the books are like your Bible. Anytime someone interprets them a little differently, or anytime your head canon storyboard doesn't play out exactly as you planned, you fly into an unreasonable rage and then you keep coming back next week for more. Clearly D&D are doing something right, especially if the same people keep coming back to complain about the same things.

The people who rate this show at a 1 are just not being intellectually honest. Even the episodes of Game of Thrones rated at a 1 are leagues ahead of other shows right now.

:thumbsup:

Edited by sj4iy

I'd give it a 9/10

I was pretty excited when Stannis showed up. I didn't expect that to happen. That was probably my favourite scene of the whole show

I also really like the ending with Tyrion & Tywin.

The Hound and Brienne scene was pretty good too.

I hope they introduce Lady Stoneheart. I'm really intrigued to see how they'll do it in the show.

It's an interesting thing about human psychology where regardless of how good something is, the most vocal and visible of any group will be the people who just want to complain. You see examples of it all the time in the public.

How often have any of us been inclined to return to a store to tell the employee just how helpful they were? Very few I would wager. How many of us have been very vocal about even the most minor of complaints and made sure the employees knew about it? Very many I would wager.

The size of the nitpick thread is no testament to the quality of this show (or lack thereof). It is a testament to the fact that some people just want to bitch. (I am now also guilty of this, the irony is not lost on me)

Some of you people are just plain ridiculous. No, the show is not perfect. No, I do not agree with many of the changes they have made. Yes, I wish they were closer to the books. However, it seems as if the books are like your Bible. Anytime someone interprets them a little differently, or anytime your head canon storyboard doesn't play out exactly as you planned, you fly into an unreasonable rage and then you keep coming back next week for more. Clearly D&D are doing something right, especially if the same people keep coming back to complain about the same things.

The people who rate this show at a 1 are just not being intellectually honest. Even the episodes of Game of Thrones rated at a 1 are leagues ahead of other shows right now.

I welcome any serious critical analysis of any work of art/entertainment, and I never say this, but...YOU. ARE. AWESOME.

I liked the episode. loved what they did with Brienne and the Hound, it just worked for me. It seemed believable as a fight between these two, with Sandor in his weakened state, she wouldn't have stood a chance if he wasn't poisoned from the infection in his Biter wound.

the Tyrion/Tywin bit seemed a bit flat, but it got the end result. not too disappointed with the lack of LS. It means Brienne will have more of a storyline next year, and I have always had a soft spot for her (does that make me weird?)

the John / Mance scenes worked well, and Hinds does not seem as miscast now for some reason, we'll have to see how he does in S5.

Stannis seems still to be a mystery to D&D. they really don't seem to know what to do with him, and Davos seems more of a hanger - on toady with every scene he is in. I am not a Stannis shipper, and IMO he hadn't seemed a major character at this point in the books, but they could surely have developed his character more than this.

the Braavosi captain's reaction to the coin was handled well, on first reading it didn't seem that likely that a small girl handing over a coin could worry him that much, but having the benefit of knowing how the HOB&W works he has no way of knowing that she is just a little girl, and not a forty year old crack ninja assassin called Gerald wearing another face. it would be interesting to know what the unsullied thought of that bit.

Mel Looking at Jon at the wall worked as well for me she seemed to have a little moment there thinking " oh shit! not Stannis - this one"

liked that Cercei got her "burn this house to the ground" line in, and her scenes with Qyburn as well. it seemed to be setting him up to take over from Pycelle next year as Cercei's favourite Lickspittle

I didn't think it was much of a spoiler that Jojen died. I had assumed that he only had to get Bran to the tree anyway. but it seems to knock the Jojenpaste theory out. unless we are going to have Meera paste instead.

Dany seems to get more and more pathetic and girly all the time. I'm sure she wasn't this bad in the books. I also think that it isn't Ms Clarke's fault, but the writers'

Word :cheers: .

Gave it a solid 2. After all, it is visibly better than the rest of the season. And I mean visibly. Like, visuals in this episode were given much more space than usual. And there was no Gilly, which is always a plus, considering how skillfully she's adapted.

This site is the only social network I'm a member of. I'm an old school, middle-aged guy, so social networking is not really my thing. Hence, if posts like yours are normal and usual around the web, I wouldn't know.

Now, having said that, I have never, absolutely never, seen any people as touchy as fans of this show. It is totally unbelievable what sort of unhealthy, spoiled, aggressive fanaticism this show is inspiring. I've heard of similar fanaticism: two years ago, a reviewer who dared to criticize Dark Knight Rises was receiving death threats, for example. But, until GoT, I've never encountered anything like that myself.

And the most shocking thing is how ready show fanatics are to discuss anything and anyone, just not the actual show. You're always ready to share with the world how amazed you were by this scene or that one and how much the show means to you and how invested you are in it. You never hesitate to remind us that all the critics and all the viewers and all the universe loves your favorite show. But, you never seem ready to discuss the show. If you feel that you absolutely must reply to criticism, you always choose to attack posters who disagree with you. You never even try to discuss actual complaints. I imagine it'd be the easiest thing to do, if our complaints don't make sense. For example, for me it's very easy to answer criticism of ASOIAF books, because in most cases those complaints are not so well thought-out. I never attack those who complain about the books, because I have absolutely no reason for it. If their complaints are petty and illogical, as they usually are, I just point to it. If their complaints happen to make sense, I happily enter the discussion, using the opportunity to exchange ideas with someone who possibly saw something I missed, or generally sees things differently than I do. But attacking the complainer is never an option.

With this show its completely the opposite. Anyone who dares to criticize it, gets attacked. I'm not talking Westeros only. Other ASOIAF/GoT sites are even worse in that regard. Literally everyone who brings any complaint gets insulted from all directions. In short, you show lovers are always personal, regardless of do you talk about how much you love the show, or about how much you hate us who dislike the show.

Here's the news: I really don't care why is GoT so important to you. And I don't expect you to care about the reasons why I like or dislike something. And I couldn't care less about the professional reviewers that week in, week out, fail to mention at least one legitimate complaint out of hundreds that are heavily discussed on this site. So stop worrying about us who criticize the show and our motives. Instead, start addressing the things we point to. Or don't - but then don't go around accusing someone else of inane babbling.

Incredibly well said.

Hmm, return to a store to tell an employee they were helpful, when it's their job to help? I think your underselling how people appreciate kindness in the real world, but anyway...

For me, it's not a question of them simply 'interpreting things differently' it's removing or altering key sequences or events for no discernable reason.

1. Why so many 'near misses' between characters?

2. Why do the Hound and Arya visit the Vale, only for nothing to come of it?

3. Why do we get a 5 minute discussion of beetle crushing rather than a pre-fight conversation with Obreyn and Tyrion were he explains important info about Dorne, set's out key points about 'tywin not living forever ... aka he has already been poisoned ;) ' etc.

4. Why, even when they make changes are they inconsistent within their own T.V show GoT universe? So Shae is genuinely in love with everyone's favourite dwarf aaannnddd she tries to stab him on sight.

5. The whole Cersei rape debacle.

6. Pointless side stories like those of Pod and his super sex skills, at the expense of additional scenes/info from the books.

7. Serious overtones of misogyny that are NOT present in the books; Drogo flat out raping Dany, Stannis choking Mel, the stabbing of Rob's wife in the belly killing her baby, the whole Ros storyline, Jaime and Cersei as mentioned, Littlefinger brothel scenes ... the list goes on. I am a guy, and I'm not particularly feminist in my thinking, but there times even I start to pick up on some very weird vibes that are definately not in the books.

Also, what myself and a few others are pointing out, isn't that it's all necessarily 'doom and gloom, worst show ever', rather why is it we cannot discuss the things we dislike, only to be confronted with post after post giving each and every episode 10/10 'everythings perfect', that's not rational discussion or even opinion, it's pure naivety.

That, 'everythings always sunny' approach contributes as little to the conversation as the 'everything sucks' posts. So you can't complain about one and leave the other.

Everything about particularly the second half of this season has been very dodgy, in terms of acting sometimes, storylines, adaptation, to say this season is 10/10 ... I will say it ... is just plain fucking stupid. Equally, it is just as stupid to say it all sucked (Pedro Pascal for one absolutely nailed everything he was given, even that slightly suspect brothel opening scene).

So you guys can't have it both ways. Some of us come here for discussion .. not 'yeah I'm so happy and overexcited about every little thing!!! Yay!!!'.

ETA: I have to add the comment that this episode was hyped far too much, and not just by these forums. D and D claimed it was there best episode yet and submitted it for an Emmy. They built themselves up too much, and.as a result expectations were high. Sadly, I do not feel they lived up to thos expectations.

I gave it a 6/10 and that is an optimistic vote, after I have had time to get past my initial annoyances. I'll give a breakdown to explain as best I am able to:Jon/Stannis/the Wall: Not massively impressive. Jon-Mance dialogue was fine, but where did Mance's Wildling army go? He seemed to have about 10 Wildlings left against the Stannis hordes, which detracted from Stannis' victory and made it much less impressive. Didn't enjoy the interactions of Davos Jon and Stannis at all. The rest didn't bother me too much I suppose.

Bran/Meera/Jojen: *sigh* I had such high hopes for this, it had the potential to be incredible. I don't care that they cut Coldhands out at all, as I believe he is an insignificant character anyway who basically served the role of a guide. All was fine until we get the wight attack. They were flat out ridiculous, surely D and D knew how poor they looked? I know they are supposed to very decayed, but they looked ridiculous. And the CotF fireball attack was pathetic, out of character and frankly bizzare. Before the "OMG BOOK PURIST! KILL IT WITH FIRE!" brigade come along, I appreciated the death of Jojen as it saved the scene somewhat, making the cost of getting there more real. Also, offered us a chance to see Meera pull out some wonderful (albeit brief) acting skills. Dislike the CotF appearance, looked like pantomime costumes. The Cave set was wonderfully eerie, but Bloodraven was a let down, very much so. And the brushing off of the sacrifice of Jojen irked me too.

Brienne/the Hound: I very much enjoyed the dialogue here, and after an initially shaky start (the sword fighting) the duel became wonderfully exciting. Enjoyable scene that undoubtedly boosted my rating of the episode. The Hound had some wonderful acting here too.

Dany: I've been very disappointed with Meereen as a whole this season, but Dany ad my favourite scene of the episode in E10. Some much improved acting on Emilia's part here.

King's Landing: Pretty much everything here except Qyburn and Gregor annoyed me and felt underwhelming. The lack of conflict between Jaime and Tyrion, combined with the "self-defence" killing of Shae by "St. Tyrion" was terrible. Very disappointed with King's Landing this episode

Arya: Maise is a wonderful young actress, and while I had guessed pretty much that her last scene would be exactly this, I never expected it as the season ender. But in hindsight that was a good choice, and Maise was a killer (no pun intended) in all of her scenes this season.

Excellent post!

Hmm, return to a store to tell an employee they were helpful, when it's their job to help? I think your underselling how people appreciate kindness in the real world, but anyway...

For me, it's not a question of them simply 'interpreting things differently' it's removing or altering key sequences or events for no discernable reason.

3. Why do we get a 5 minute discussion of beetle crushing rather than a pre-fight conversation with Obreyn and Tyrion were he explains important info about Dorne, set's out key points about 'tywin not living forever ... aka he has already been poisoned ;) ' etc.

4. Why, even when they make changes are they inconsistent within their own T.V show GoT universe? So Shae is genuinely in love with everyone's favourite dwarf aaannnddd she tries to stab him on sight.

6. Pointless side stories like those of Pod and his super sex skills, at the expense of additional scenes/info from the books.

7. Serious overtones of misogyny that are NOT present in the books; Drogo flat out raping Dany, Stannis choking Mel, the stabbing of Rob's wife in the belly killing her baby, the whole Ros storyline, Jaime and Cersei as mentioned, Littlefinger brothel scenes ... the list goes on. I am a guy, and I'm not particularly feminist in my thinking, but there times even I start to pick up on some very weird vibes that are definately not in the books.

Also, what myself and a few others are pointing out, isn't that it's all necessarily 'doom and gloom, worst show ever', rather why is it we cannot discuss the things we dislike, only to be confronted with post after post giving each and every episode 10/10 'everythings perfect', that's not rational discussion or even opinion, it's pure naivety.

That, 'everythings always sunny' approach contributes as little to the conversation as the 'everything sucks' posts. So you can't complain about one and leave the other.

Everything about particularly the second half of this season has been very dodgy, in terms of acting sometimes, storylines, adaptation, to say this season is 10/10 ... I will say it ... is just plain fucking stupid. Equally, it is just as stupid to say it all sucked (Pedro Pascal for one absolutely nailed everything he was given, even that slightly suspect brothel opening scene).

So you guys can't have it both ways. Some of us come here for discussion .. not 'yeah I'm so happy and overexcited about every little thing!!! Yay!!!'.

This. Thank you. Edited by Caerl Targaryen

You can add "anyone who cast a vote based entirely on how someone else voted rather than on what their personal opinion of the show was" to those you condemn for intellectual dishonesty.

...and that pretty much sums up the mentality of this entire discussion. It also proves that the people with complaints make the most noise.

Yes, you should compliment people on a job well done. Know why? Because humans aren't friggen robots.

The writers aren't robots, and for every one or two things they may get wrong, they get many more things right. And there are many more things that they DON'T get wrong, but people are perceiving as wrong simply because they are trying to find something wrong with it. But guess who the most vocal people are? That's right, the people who complain.

It's the difference between going to a restaurant and expecting a good time, and going to a restaurant and expecting a shitty time. If you expect the former, you may not like everything, but you usually end up enjoying yourself. If you expect the latter, then you will NEVER be satisfied because you spend the entire time looking around you with a critical eye. Is it the fault of the server or the cook that you came in with unreasonable expectations and a bad attitude?

You're expecting the show to be something it can never be- the books. Your expectations are wrong in the first place- it's not the fault of the showrunners that people can't let go of their expectations long enough to have a good time and accept the show for what it is- a tv show.

Edited by sj4iy

Incredibly well said.

This....a lot of stuff in this episode DID NOT make sense at all! No matter what or how you argue there were a lot of mistakes all season.

Was it entertaining? YES!

Was the writting done well? NO

criticism is important.

constant kudos is worthless.

the showrunners, or anyone who does something, especially those who want to achieve being like something, need criticism, so they become better. And they need and deserve criticism when they did something wrong.

They get constant love for the show, which is perfect at times, but sometimes lately it was horrible.

And that should be said. And we should not stick out heads in the dirt and say "Oh, the show is something different/Oh, they did it perfect 9/10". This is hypocrisy and wrong. Even without knowledge about the books, this episode was boring and not a finale. It killed all the major iconic and important scenes.

I am sorry that you only see my complaint here, but I also praised other episodes, like the fight with the Mountain or Mockingbird. The Only Cat scene was perfection. The early Jon Arryn reveal was great and an improvement.

They included tiny little details that I loved, like the Lysa Arryn wedding night. Seriously, those little details make all the change.

Or having it be 163 children, and not just 50 men.

I even love adding new stuff. And cutting stuff. Season one and two are perfection. three was good. Four had perfect episodes and horrible ones. Not really well mixed. It only had extremes.

To get back to the point:

Complaining is generally more important in these cases. They get enough praise already and did so far a great job. But now they just totally ruined one season('s finale), by cutting iconic stuff and scenes we waited for. Not Stoneheart, but Bloodraven and Tyrion, Jaime, Tywin, Shae..

Complaining is needed here, so they learn from it.

If we just smile and shake our heads in approval, then how would they know we didn't like it?

Complain when deserved, Praise when deserved. Easy as that.

I learned today that even though it may not be perfect and there are flaws to be found you can rate it 10 for entertainment value. So even people who don't think it's a 10, think it's a 10.

I learned today that even though it may not be perfect and there are flaws to be found you can rate it 10 for entertainment value. So even people who don't think it's a 10, think it's a 10.

Here's what I don't get:

Why are people offended by the idea that someone will rate the episode higher than they would? Really, it makes no sense to me. I'm not offended that people rate the show lower than what I would, because it's a personal decision. Just because most people liked something that you didn't doesn't invalidate your opinion; nor is your opinion invalidated if you like something that others didn't care for. It's a poll on a forum- who cares in the end?

I know some are up setting about LSH being omitted from the finale but I look at it like this...it's almost like a reboot in a sense. Think how different the next few seasons will be with the edition of some other new characters as well as LSH. The finale was 10 an the season 9.

Here's what I don't get:

Why are people offended by the idea that someone will rate the episode higher than they would? Really, it makes no sense to me. I'm not offended that people rate the show lower than what I would, because it's a personal decision. Just because most people liked something that you didn't doesn't invalidate your opinion; nor is your opinion invalidated if you like something that others didn't care for. It's a poll on a forum- who cares in the end?

Yep. Exactly. Why are people so offended that someone rated the episode lower than them that they go as far as upgrading their score to intentionally 'cancel out' someone else's vote?

I think it's kind of fair to have a (gentle) go at someone for rating a show 10/10 when they didn't love everything about it. Conversation works better if everyone's speaking the same language, and 10/10 has an agreed upon meaning - even if that meaning is more unspoken than dictionaryified - which is that it was perfect.

You know, like Walk Hard The Dewey Cox Story.

As a dude who's argued for there to me a much better balance between the sexes in the nudity/vulnerability stakes of GoT I do get where you're coming from (even add in that they left out Zei's heroics), but I also wonder if choosing to have Brienne defeat The Hound is some kind of attempt to address those issues - even down to the way they didn't play up his weakness from infection in the episode, so it looked like she beat him fair and square.

Edited by Davrum

I think the episode was an 8. I did want to see Lady Stoneheart and Coldhands. Also, Bloodraven could have looked alot better and more like the tree and him were one life form.

Is it just me, or does it seem that all the evil fuckers that die, never really get it as bad as they should? Its always very underwhelming in the show IMO.

I thought that the Stannis scene could have been done better and a little longer.

They could have also shown Balon Greyjoy get his as he is crossing the bridge between keeps on Pyke.

As far as im concerned, they still have much content from ASOS to cover next season while entering into the Dorne and Pyke storylines, so as long as WOW comes out within the year, they will not catch up to the books until 4-5 more seasons.

I really hope you're right but something tells me they'll pretty much ignore both Dorne and Pyke and we'll get a single character from each area at most [emoji21]