Book and show spoilers: how could they do the finale w/o

Snowisnobastard

So disappointed, and simply because they teased us, and I think purposefully.

**episode is drawing towards the end**

Me: :dunce:

**a scene starts over a remote stream**

Me: "Riverlands!?" :bowdown:

**we are seemingly alone**

Me: :drool:

**Pan right, Arya on horseback...**

Me: :bang:

This. Exactly this. Next year will be 3 years after the Red Wedding (for viewers at least)...Tywin's death-cut to Catelyn's resurrection... just. made. sense.

Stannis offering Jon Winterfell would have made Tywin's death more dramatic too. It's so frustrating I don't understand whats going on!

I'm getting the feeling that maybe Michelle Fairley didn't agree to come back as a zombie with a cut throat who has no vocal lines anymore. I can see a well respected actress to not be too keen on that.

I mean, that's the only real explanation I have for not including that scene at the end of last year or this year. I thought it would have been a great way to end last season to give all of the Stark fans a bit of a pick me up after the Red Wedding and something to talk about for 10 months but they didn't. Which then made me sure they'd end this season with it...but again I was wrong. This season would have been better because there isn't as much buzz coming off the end of this season, other than Tywins death, to keep people talking about thrones until next year. I thought that would have been a good shocker ending to keep people really speculating and talking.

Anyways, disappointed we haven't seen her yet, here's to hoping we do. My one question is how the fuck are they going to reanimate Cat now? Her body has been in that river a long ass time, in terms of how much time has presumably passed on the tv show, it can't be in very good shape. Not that Stoneheart was in good shape, but she at least hadn't started decomposing.

Holly Hunter and her Oscar® for her non-speaking role in The Piano would like a word.

It's pretty clear right now that the show is dropping the entire Tysha reveal. But I have to admit that I'm surprised -- why bring her up on the show at all if you're not going to use her as the catalyst for Tyrion's big move? There was no real reason (in last night's episode) for Tyrion to go up to his father's rooms in the first place! Jaime had set him free, Varys was waiting to sneak him away, and no bad news had been delivered. So why go up to the Tower?

And I totally agree that Tyrion now has no motivation for joining forces with Aegon/Dany against the Lannisters, since he and Jaime are still buddy-buddy. Why would he betray Jaime now? He wouldn't!

So yeah, it's mind-boggling.

Not necessarily. Does Tyrion really need to be told by Jamie? He is smart, he can work it out himself.

I think everything Tywin tells Tyrion in the chamberpot scene was a lie until Tyrion shots him. Tyrion was a Targarean bastard, Tywin found out who the father was and forced his wife to drink moon tea which failed to kill Tyrion because he is a Targ but did kill his mother (unless Tywin did it).

Tyrion won't find out he is a Targ until he is fed to a Dragon and ends up riding it though. He could also get confirmation from Gerion who will surely pop up in book 6 as otherwise GRRM is getting short of characters.

I think that maybe there are many reasons regarding production that made them leave her introduction for next season, despite the fact that I do believe that they had a good chance to do it and missed. But at the same time, I believe that they still have a chance to do a good job bringing her next season and I hope they do, because if they cut her from the show it will be really disappointing. At the same time, I feel that they are, each season, making more and more changes comparing to the books, so it won't be a surprise if they do it again, They cut other characters that I thought would be so important and they already killed Johen before the book, so for me nothing is a surprise anymore, but still make me disappointed.

Lady Stoneheart missing makes me a bit anxious for the Jaime/Brienne arc to come, but Tyrion's singular character-changing moment being butchered was hard to swallow. The sudden switch from adoration of Jaime to "I'm going to fight you if we meet again" and the last conversation with Tywin were so vital. Charles Dance made the death pretty good, but that moment in the books was more than just pretty good.

I hope they bring LS in next year, at least...although at this point even if they converge with the books again several major plots are going to lack the punch they had in the original. Shame.

Tyrion's sudden turning on Jamie while he's in the middle of saving his life, never made much sense to me, especially over a past event, that while horrific, was when they were all young and stupid. Mature adults who've gone through hell and back (war, being a POW, and all the other horrific events these two characters have endured since the beginning of the story), suddenly turning on each other like toddlers over something that their tyrannical father devised, makes two strong characters suddenly appear weak, stupid, and shallow.

So if there's no story reason going forward for Tyrion to hate Jamie, why put it in? It would only limit Tyrion's character choices going forward. This way, Tyrion hasn't burned every bridge over the Narrow Sea.

As far as Tysha goes... there really is no reason to include it at this point, since she seems to only be a device for Tyrion's inner-reflection that you cannot play on a tv show because you can't film inside someone's head.

I think the only plot reason for that scene in the books was to put a wedge between Cersei and Jamie, but that can be done in countless other ways, and leaves Jamie and Tyrion's relationship intact, which I feel is an improvement, and makes for stronger characters.

Even though I was feeling a bit unnerved about the show's deviations from the books this season, I still had a lot of confidence that this episode was going to be one for the ages. However, I am left disappointed. It was a good finale, and if I had not read the books I probably would have liked it more, but I really thought they had a chance to seize greatness with this episode and have viewers dealing with a multitude of cliffhangers and 40 weeks to think about them.

We stopped at good points in the Bran (though I'm sad we didn't see Coldhands), Dany, Arya and Tyrion storylines, but I really thought we'd get Jon offered Winterfell and Lady Stoneheart, the second of which I am more bummed about missing. Pushing Jon's Winterfell offer and Lord Commander election is totally defenislble, and they need storylines for season 5. But LS needed to be the final scene of season 4, and I have been saying this since before the season began. I remember reading the LS epilogue and being completely floored, and while I'm not in this story for the "twists," some of them are incredible and thoroughly enjoyable. To follow up the Tywin death scene with a quick scene that shows LS hanging a Frey, or even confronting Brienne and Pod if they wanted to condense things, would have been the perfect juxtaposition between the man that arranged the Red Wedding and the woman who rose again after being killed at the Red Wedding.

It just really feels like they dropped the ball, and my guess is that they wanted to save material, and may even be saving LS for the season 5 finale (with a lot of buildup throughout the season) since there is no obvious climax halfway through Feast or Dance and they exist on congruent timelines. Even so, they had the opportunity to make an incredible episode, and they settled for very good. It leaves me feeling a bit deflated, and now I know for sure that I am a fan of the books first and the show second (even though the show is what made me read the books in the first place). It's just a bummer that this was so close to being a fantastic episode, and they really only needed 45 seconds to make it happen (and they could have had that easily if they had not drawn out the Ygritte stuff waaaaaaaaaay longer than they should have).

Oh well. At least Winds is coming soon. Oh wait.

I don't really see the big deal in whether LSH appeared or not.

I thought she probably would, but not because the story demands that it happen now, not in any way, shape or form. I thought they'd do it just for a big dramatic kick at the end - but while several legitimate complaints can be laid at the feet of the show's creators, I don't think failing to set things up for dramatic impact is one of them.

They had too much going on that needed resolution, things that were already cued up. The last episode turned out to be really tight, anyway; not much wasted space, but still not even enough time to mention Tysha, and they can do LSH whenever.

Speaking of which, say what? No Tysha? No Tysha!

Now there's something that can't be rectified next season. Tyrion and Jaime part - apparently for a long time, if not for good - on the very best of terms, instead of with a promise to fight to the death upon next meeting. And the primary element in Tyrion's mental landscape going forward is just missing.

I'm totally flabbergasted that Tysha was left out. I didn't think that was possible. They haven't departed from the book in anywhere near this major a fashion previously.

The worst thing is that I thought for a second after the Tyrion scene that we're gonna get to see LS, but it was just Arya sailing away... I'm not sure how this is gonna be interesting and shocking for show watchers now, OK, they might have not forgotten Cat but they surely have Thoros etc.

I'm starting to feel like they don't wanna end seasons with cliffhangers, this might be a stupid theory, but I feel like if they did, more people would read the books in the break and maybe they're worried that they might lose numbers because of that. But I realise this is a stupid theory cause they have epic numbers and readers watch it too, but whatever :D

I was also a bit disappointed, certain scenes were made very long for no reason and the Tyrion+Jaime and the Tyrion+Tywin weren't long enough. it felt like they realised "whoops we have to do that too in this last 3min, hmm let's make it 2 and then add Arya sailing away..." and then someone probably suggested to have another Dany bodysurfing scene but luckily at least that didn't happen!

Alex Graves has no right to say shit like that after the rape blunder, but I agree with him to a certain extent. I'm not a huge fan of Stoneheart and I know there's a huge part of the fandom that shares this opinion.

That said, we really needed a big final scene, and Arya on a boat ain't one. Last year it was Dany crowdsurfing, this year is Arya on a boat, next year what's gonna be, Tyrion having dinner? So underwhelming, even Bloodraven (lame as he was) would have been a better moment to close the season

That said, we really needed a big final scene, and Arya on a boat ain't one. Last year it was Dany crowdsurfing, this year is Arya on a boat, next year what's gonna be, Tyrion having dinner?

Tyrion watching Lemore taking off her clothes... and realising her eyes are actually purple...

...with Mhysa as bg music.

Tyrion watching Lemore taking off her clothes... and realising her eyes are actually purple...

...with Mhysa as bg music.

I'd be okay with that ending :leer:

But seriously, I said it before but I'll keep saying it till I'm blue in the face: D&D have no idea how insanely popular Jaqen is among the Unsullied. One tiny little glimpse of him after pushing Balon would have made Unsullied pee their pants

Archived