Netflix's new epic drama - 'Marco Polo'

AncalagonTheBlack

The blind monk, to me, is an awesome character. I don't care how lame it seems, the actor played it perfectly and made it work for me.

Get over the damn naked kung fu scene, it happened once, people still complaining about it are just looking for something to complain about. It was well done, too.

This show is great, definitely got better in the final 2-3 episodes. The free nudity seemed to have calmed down in the final 4-5 episodes, another thing people complain about non stop even if it was only in the first half, really.

I am not a prude. Having said that, the sex in this show is way over the top. When it detracts from the story instead of enhancing it, you know there is simply too much.

I do think the show becomes more enjoyable as the season goes on. Maybe my expectations were too high to begin with.

One thing I really like is a look into a world that is almost never represented in Western entertainment.

The blind monk, to me, is an awesome character. I don't care how lame it seems, the actor played it perfectly and made it work for me.

Get over the damn naked kung fu scene, it happened once, people still complaining about it are just looking for something to complain about. It was well done, too.

This show is great, definitely got better in the final 2-3 episodes. The free nudity seemed to have calmed down in the final 4-5 episodes, another thing people complain about non stop even if it was only in the first half, really.

Agreed to all that !

Personally, I enjoyed the naked kung-fu scene. It wasnt realistic for one cent, but it was esthetically interesting. I didnt consider it gratuitous nudity and found the visual treatment worth the scene that could otherwise have been completely lame.

Agreed to all that !

Personally, I enjoyed the naked kung-fu scene. It wasnt realistic for one cent, but it was esthetically interesting. I didnt consider it gratuitous nudity and found the visual treatment worth the scene that could otherwise have been completely lame.

Though it got really horrendously graphically violent -- torture even -- in the scene with the prisoners, that went on and on and on. But then, Kublai is a mongol in case we forgot, charmed as we'd become with Mr. Wong.

I'm four episodes in and so far so good. It's not the greatest show but it looks gorgeous and has competent acting and writing. I actually enjoy this one more than GOT. The show reminds most of the Tudors and Showtimes Borgias. Not sure where rotten tomatoes gets its 27% rating from.

Because it's really average. Not sure how anyone could think this is better than GoT. Nothing so far has made me say I have to watch the next episode. Maybe episode 4 is really that good?

Does it really not get any better?

It's got an 8.4 on IMdB.

I finally finished it. The "finally" in the first sentence shows I didn't love it. I didn't thirst for the next episode immediately. But, overall, I liked it. I'm not a t.v. critic, so I'll just list some things I liked and didn't like.

- The show, as has already been mentioned, is beautifully shot. The costumes, locations, scenery; all wonderful. (Does anyone know how accurate it was?)

- I thought Kublai Khan was well acted. Question: was the Khan of all Khans suffering physical disabilities?

-Marco Polo was meh. Didn't come across as someone people would gravitate too, especially with minimal contact.

-Rick Yune was really good as Kudai. He managed to be both regal and menacing.

- The actress who played Kudai's daughter lit up the screen every time she appeared. She had great eyes - nit the shape, no fetish here - but there was a twinkle of mischief in her eyes that would grab my attention whenever she was in a scene.

- The nudity was gratuitous initially, but pretty much disappears by the end.

- I didn't get why the blind monk stopped fighting Sidao during the assassination attempt.

- The Khan's heir was a little annoying, but admittedly not as bad as they're usually portrayed.

- The final scene was kinda ridiculous. There won't be any suspicions raised there.

I thought the show could've used more intrigue. At times, it seemed that nothing happened in an entire episode.

How much was this show hurt by the actor playing Master Polo?

Watched it over xmas with my brother. Don't know if it's because I was drunk/hungover or had seen the negative response but I thought it was fine. Better than "Da Vinci's demons" but not as balls to the wall as "spartacus" . The production values were great and I did like the politics.

Ok, there was the fact the show should have been called "kublai khan" as Polo felt like a secondary character most the time (and his storylines were generally less interesting anyhow) and the blind assassin was utterly ridiculous. Slight issues that were as much my own as the show's were it not initially being obvious when they were following the chinese court and that I kept confusing several of the female characters (blue princess, warrior princess and servant of chinese civil servant). It's a general issue I initially have with large cast shows where characters don't always remain in the same outfit (eg Deadwood). Both issues would have probably been less/non-existent if i was paying full attention rather than drinking and chatting with people while watching.

I agree that Rick Yune was great as Kudai - would like to see more of him in another season but I also thought Benedict Wong was good and that Chin Han stole most of his scenes with his quiet power.

I'd probably watch a second season.

Spoilers follow:

Just watched the show. I loved the imagery in it, but the story hit me as kind of simplistic, especially the Song court. For example, Sidoh makes the grand masters seem complex and cunning. He doesn't appear to have any redeeming features, apart from that he is good at fighting. Also his schemes are mustache twirling to the extreme (sending his sister to become a whore in the Khan's harem to spy/assassinate is ridiculous, the fact it works is even more so). His sister who managed to bring her brother from a peasant brother of a whore to prime minister seems to have no made any allies at court. Finally the empress's power and influence appear to fluctuate on a day to day basis as the plot demands.

Further, it appears to be full of one off plot devices and inconsistency. For example, Marco suddenly knowing where the Hashashim are. Sidoh and the preying mantis, which is soon forgotten after he shows off his martial arts moves. The fact that they send Marco on covert missions (he's white, you can't stand out much more...).

However, there were some great performances. Kublai was amazing, as was his favourite wife (Chabi). In fact I thought that most of the actors did a good job, it was just the bad writing. The fight scenes were also awesome, though ridiculous. In all I'd probably give it a 7, as the set design, wardrobe department, actors and fight choreographers did an amazing job. Just a pity about the script. Also, as a fan of Kublai Khan I am really happy they made this show, just a pity they forgot Kublai was the main character and named it after a secondary character...

Nice story. I do hope the series won't boil down to 'all flash and no substance', like GoT. That's my biggest concern with this series.

I really have high hopes for this. I hope this will be everything GoT is not. Exotic locals and exciting action paired with excellent writing.

This and this

Archived