Say you wake up tomorrow in Westeros....

Dead

Given how much effort GRRM takes to describe Westerosi foods, I think cooks at Westeros know their trade well enough. Hot Pie knows how to bake. How many people know how to make bread as opposed as going to a grocery shop to buy it?

I'd assume a lot of people?

Sorry I was responding derisively more to the other poster who spoke as though he was GRRM.

As for the seal. Is the LC seal common knowledge? Among man-at-arms and small folk too? Westeros isn't all lords and nobles and knights.

No bother :cool4: Maybe not smallfolk, but it's not smallfolk who are going to try and cut your head off. Claiming to be a recruiter might get you so far but anyone you would need to fool wouldn't be buying it without some form of proof. Imo, it's a needless risk :dunno:

Sorry I was responding derisively more to the other poster who spoke as though he was GRRM.

As for the seal. Is the LC seal common knowledge? Among man-at-arms and small folk too? Westeros isn't all lords and nobles and knights.

And I'm sorry if I sounded too harsh. The seal thing just sounded like a reasonable thing to do for the NW and you asked for a source after all...

Even if we imagine you can somehow fake some documents to look like as if they were made by the Old Bear, we can still see how Yoren fared as a recruiter. If you get into a dangerous situation, you can still get killed by some idiot in an alley who doesn't care for the color of your cloak.

Your idea was as good as any of us here, but I only wanted to argument that while most ordinary people can't read or know sigils, many of those in command of soldiers do and need some valification.

I find it hard to believe that everyone on this website can make a steam engine off the cuff

Well, the general principle is known by pretty much everyone: water boils, the steam is guided to move something which, in turn, is connected to a wheel of sorts. Of course, there is a huge stretch from that to a functioning engine. But, provided enough time (which the war around the Inn will prevent), finances (which a stranded dimensional traveler will not have), good smiths (which are tied to point 2) and better steel than anything Westeros produces (which few dimensional travelers will know how to make), it's (evidently, hardly) possible.

Of course, the best position for a dimensional traveler to appear isn't the Inn of the Kneeling Man around the time the siege of Riverrun ends, but rather the Citadel or any castle of a wealthy lord when the long summer begins. And the traveler should appear in a clearly magical fashion so people would believe him.

Why steam engine when you can Teleport like LF on the show.

Well, the general principle is known by pretty much everyone: water boils, the steam is guided to move something which, in turn, is connected to a wheel of sorts. Of course, there is a huge stretch from that to a functioning engine. But, provided enough time (which the war around the Inn will prevent), finances (which a stranded dimensional traveler will not have), good smiths (which are tied to point 2) and better steel than anything Westeros produces (which few dimensional travelers will know how to make), it's (evidently, hardly) possible.

Of course, the best position for a dimensional traveler to appear isn't the Inn of the Kneeling Man around the time the siege of Riverrun ends, but rather the Citadel or any castle of a wealthy lord when the long summer begins. And the traveler should appear in a clearly magical fashion so people would believe him.

It's a bit more complicated. They had that much of the combustion engine figured out back in 4th C Alexandria.

Archived