Say you wake up tomorrow in Westeros....

Dead

Well math would work the same because it's all true simply by definition. And I'd be able to demonstrate advanced mathematics' ability to describe the world because I'd use it to try and describe and quantify the world. And if physics works differently I'd teach them how to discover it via scientific method by means of hypothesis testing, controlled experiments, and elimination of biases. Plus it would be a fun challenge for me to figure out how their world works.

The Math might be somewhat different, as Westeros may live in a world defined by hyperbolic geometry. As an aside, the Na'vi most definitely used octal arithmetic (base 8). From clues in the GoT TV show, my money is on base ten (decimal) numbering in Planetos (though we don't know about Asshai and Yi Ti).

And spot on about the physics; as long as the scientific method is introduced, the way their world works becomes an open book, even if page one of that book becomes, "This place is insane, and there's no rhyme or reason to it." Because at least it would have been tested to be that way.

I can't help but wonder what would happen if someone introduced coffee,the press and other things that seem so common to us.

Although,would it be worth it to see Cersei or Stannis go through caffeine withdrawl?

It may be necessary to have some coffee beans in your pocket for that; it might not grow naturally on Planetos, or maybe only on Sothoryos.

So, you just happen to look like Don Draper's long lost twin brother, who also has his swagger?

More like Robert Baratheon with another ten years, but not as hot as Mark Addy. Think Areo Hotah with almost no skills. But like her brother Quentyn, I'll grow a brass pair and go yard or strike out. Nothing to lose, and having been inside her head, I know her turn-ons & turnoffs, in seventies' parlance. I will relate to her, and we're all aware she just can't say no.

And why hasn't anyone thought of this one yet; I will construct a fine ashwood baseball bat, using a rudimentary lathe, and teach the people baseball. And preach it like James Earl Jones (I do a fairly good impression). Also Football (World Cup & Superbowl), golf, hockey, curling, and basketball. Hoops will be the hardest (getting a round ball that will bounce, and all). It's a much nicer Mountain in the paint shooting flat-footed dunks. Hound might make a great tight end or tackle, probably tackle as he's used to protecting the blind side.

I'd probably try and find some way to the citadel, with my (basic) knowledge of modern maths, science, engineering, etc, that would really be my best chance to survive (it would still be low, but higher than just fucking about in the wilds)

Think I know enough applicable skills and knowledge to survive and make myself useful. As a reader I also have a huge amount of insight and info that would make me a rival to Varys as a useful source for other lords. I think I would be fine as long as I were careful

The Math might be somewhat different, as Westeros may live in a world defined by hyperbolic geometry. As an aside, the Na'vi most definitely used octal arithmetic (base 8). From clues in the GoT TV show, my money is on base ten (decimal) numbering in Planetos (though we don't know about Asshai and Yi Ti).

And spot on about the physics; as long as the scientific method is introduced, the way their world works becomes an open book, even if page one of that book becomes, "This place is insane, and there's no rhyme or reason to it." Because at least it would have been tested to be that way.

Euclidean geometry is right whether or not it applies to Westeros. All the identities and theorems in Euclidean geometry are math statements. Whether or not it can be adequately used to describe Westeros is more of a physics statement, and that's something that we would need to demonstrate empirically. If it's as with our world, it would just be a good constant gravity approximation for a small enough scale compared to the rate of change of the gravitational field. But even if we lived very near a Black Hole, where Euclidean geometry would be a terrible model on our human scale, the theory on its own would still be completely correct, even if it wouldn't be very useful to us.

But the biggest advantage is that we would literally know the innermost thoughts of several key players in Westeros. Their plans, motivations and character. And on this forum we have done endless speculation about future events and hidden plots. We'd be so valuable

I would try to invent penicillin using the knowledge I retain about it from when I was lucky enough to visit a school in the 20th century on planet earth.

So the first thing I need is something to grow mould on... then... umm... petri dish... ehh... take the mould and...? Well, fuck.

I'd find Jon Snow, whatever state of health he may be in, tell him who he really is, tell him about all his siblings, tell him about Dany, then sail a ship to Mereen and bring Dany to the wall so we can address the damn white walker threat already.

Everett, you seem to be just the catalyst westeros needs. I vote to put you in

Every single one of you has come up with something better than me. I have two degrees and extended math and science knowledge as well as in universe knowledge. And what would I do. Use my basic sword skills to pledge to a doomed man in a doomed house with a (likely) doomed woman who has dragons. And run around screaming "we do not sow" before killing anyone who doesn't wear a squid banner. Thank god I live in 2014 New Orleans

Find some blacksmith, make a basic firearm using black powder.

Find Stannis/Jon, explain how to use it and how to make it.

Once I have impressed them, I will proceed to make some napalm and flamethrowers, then torch the Others.

Once that is done, I will go to the Citadel and shame all the maesters with calculus and physics.

Don't forget to give everybody the right to bear crossbows. Convince Westeros that if everybody walks around with a loaded crossbow, the land will be safer. Give the council of King's Landing millions of gold dragons so they can instill this idea in everyone and make your crossbow factory build more and more crossbows so that you can be rich.

then take all the crossbows away, because anyone that owns a crossbow, or rather, a repeating crossbow, is terribly dangerous. id then use said reclaimed crossbows to arm dorne in their struggle

Using the skills gained in college chemistry, physics, mathematics, and hazmat response, create trinitrotoluene and cyclotrimethylene trinitramine. Train BwB on creation of HME and IED's. Move to Dorne and found Westeros branch of DuPont. Create implosion explosives. Develop spherical implosion core to focus blast of subcritical element. Conduct testing in barren desert hundreds of leagues from anyone. Create cover story of volcanic eruption or fallen meteor to hide development of thermonuclear devices. Deploy devices along WW invasion corridors at choke points. Run Away...

Archived