Melisandre feelings on the COTF?

Ulthosian Stark

omg

show spoilers everywhere

COTF using fire magic?

I thought they were firebombs. I mean, if you fighting a race of people that raises the dead and the dead don't like fire it makes sense to have these things ready.

"None of his free folk mattered. They were a lost people, a doomed people, destined to vanish from the earth, as the children of the forest had vanished" ADWD Melisandre I p413.

She thinks they are already extinct, anything she feels about them would come from that starting point. Confronted by one her immediate feeling would be surprise and amazement even as we would feel confronted by a supposedly extinct creature.

ahh forgot that line. thank you for pointing it out lol. Hmmm, I assume she knows about them via myths, I mean if she knows about AA then she knows about the long night, battle with the others, and that the COTF helped the first men do said battle

I'd like to see her try and catch one.

hahaha right didn't even think about that part, "burn me if ya can witch!" (COTF snaps fingers and disappears)

Meh, she currently doesn't regard them as real. If she learns of them, the first impression will decide on friend or enemy.

That would be quite the surprise because Targaryens burn just fine. Don't be confused by the show BS.

I clearly recall Dany walking into the fire just as it happened in the show (basically), and didn't burn lol. the reason she didn't burn was dragon magic stuff I guess GRRM said in an SSM (saw someone say it on here but didn't read that SSM myself).

So given the correct circumstances Targaryeans can resist being burned. What if they burn Theon and him in front of a heart tree and Brans raw emotions of it triggers craziness? I could see that happening

Jon's hand was burned, remember? Being Targaryen does not mean you are fire proof.

like I said, there obviously needs to be something intense happening to trigger it. Deff not one of those people who think they can't be burned consistently haha

Or Bloodraven himself could give the last of his power to save him, IF he is important enough that is

Yes in the show, Leaf could throw fireballs. However, just because that's the effect doesn't necessarily mean that it's "fire magic." It's all made up and GRRM can use whatever rules he sees fit, but I doubt R'hllor's followers have a monopoly on magic that incinerates or causes spontaneous combustion.

On topic, idk, maybe I'm just a sweet naive summer child, but I hold out hope that Mel will come around to the fact that Bran (and BR and the COTF) are fighting the Others and will ally with them rather than seek their destruction. I think Mel is incredibly dedicated to idea of the coming cosmic battle, and she will do what it takes, and form whatever alliances are necessary, to win.

...Hmmm, I assume she knows about them via myths, I mean if she knows about AA then she knows about the long night, battle with the others, and that the COTF helped the first men do said battle...

You are assuming that Melisandre knows the same myths as old Nan, but what we know about the Azor Ahai myth is quite different from the Old Nan story of the Last Hero. The Children of the Forest might not even appear in the Rhllor story.

ahh forgot that line. thank you for pointing it out lol. Hmmm, I assume she knows about them via myths, I mean if she knows about AA then she knows about the long night, battle with the others, and that the COTF helped the first men do said battle

If AA is in any way related to the Long Night. If. And if that knowledge was transmitted in Essos. Two big assumptions.

I clearly recall Dany walking into the fire just as it happened in the show (basically), and didn't burn lol. the reason she didn't burn was dragon magic stuff I guess GRRM said in an SSM (saw someone say it on here but didn't read that SSM myself).

One time magic event. Outside of those, Targaryens burn just fine. And who is to say somebody else couldn't walk into a pyre as well under these circumstance? Like a maegi casting magic spells, a baby, a husband and a maegi sacrificed and all that other stuff.

They seem to be also battling the great other so I assume she would view them as friend. She may believe they're misguided but that their intentions are true. Kind of like her interactions with Davos or even Jon. She knows that they're to be allies against the Great Other... even if they don't necessarily know her truths.

Archived