Why was castle darry burned?

OberynMartelll

Isn't that what those Boltons do... destroy/burn stuff?

I think it is just to establish the family nature.

But somebody else might have a better reason.

I'm just about to finish CoK - so I just past the "Ramsey takes Winterfell" part.

• 2 weeks later...

The castle was taken by Lannisters' forces and the last Darry is killed by Gregor Clegane. Later Herman Tallhart, a Stark banner men, retakes the castle and naturally takes hostages composed by Lannister's soldiers. Roose Bolton who is in control of Harrenhal orders Qyburn to send a letter to Tallhart demanding that he executes all the prisoners and marches to Duskendale. Roose claims that these were Robb's direct orders. Only read the spoilers below if you watched the TV show until the end of season 3. You have an Oberyn Martell avatar so I suppose you already did.

it's not Robb's orders and it's a pointless military move. Roose is sabotaging his campaign by sending sizable forces from powerful northern lords to be killed thus undermining the Stark cause and guaranteeing that the Boltons will not suffer great opposition when Roose carries out the Red Wedding and gets the North. That is an early sign of his treachery. Some argue that he is not exactly sure at this point that he is going to betray the Starks but anyway he believes their war is a lost cause.

Archived