Would you consider Gregor Cleganes somewhat physically realistic?

fabio012

I think you just need to take a look at some WWE wrestlers for the answer, there's The Big Show, Kane, Undertaker. All 7(ish) feet tall and pretty damn strong.

ETA: Gigantism can come with some health difficulties, but there are plenty of big and tall people that are just that tall without it.

I disagree, the Mountain is perhaps bordering on the ludicrous, but I wouldn't say it's impossible. There are certainly real-life people who come close to matching the Mountain's description, in physical presence at least. Given the question of "somewhat physically realistic" I say yes, he is.

In our world, sure. But bear in mind this is a world with giants, so someone that big could easily just have some giant's blood in his veins.

Now that, on the other hand, is not realistic.

I remember from Harry Potter, that Hagrid was a half-giant: his mother was like twenty feet tall and his father was a regular-sized human.

Try and figure out the mechanics of that one... and then imagine it with the genders swapped. Yowza!

The WWE wrestlers are always a good comparison. But I have done some searching, and the figures quoted for their height seem to vary widely, and on a number of forums it seems to be stated that the heights quoted by the commentators are generally wild exxagerations - like Psycho Sid being 6 foot 10 etc.

As proof they have a picture that Shaquille O Neil took with the Undertaker, where Shaquille absolute towers over him, disputing the fact that the Undertaker is supposedly 6 foot 11 or whatever.

It would seem that the WWE "7 footers" are in fact closer to 6 foot 6 or 6 foot 7, with the few guys that truly approach 7 feet, being kind of weirdly built and not that powerful. The ones that still have muscles in proportion to their size appear to be 6 foot 8 max.

So a guy of Clegane's height is feasible, yes, but then he would be someone who has gigantism and the associated health problems, and would probably not be as strong as he is depicted to be in the books. It would seem that 7 feet tall is pretty much the max for someone to be proportionally strong and reasonably athletic.

I stand to be corrected of course.

I remember from Harry Potter, that Hagrid was a half-giant: his mother was like twenty feet tall and his father was a regular-sized human.

Try and figure out the mechanics of that one... and then imagine it with the genders swapped. Yowza!

Throwing a hot dog down a hallway springs to mind...

The WWE wrestlers are always a good comparison. But I have done some searching, and the figures quoted for their height seem to vary widely, and on a number of forums it seems to be stated that the heights quoted by the commentators are generally wild exxagerations - like Psycho Sid being 6 foot 10 etc.

As proof they have a picture that Shaquille O Neil took with the Undertaker, where Shaquille absolute towers over him, disputing the fact that the Undertaker is supposedly 6 foot 11 or whatever.

It would seem that the WWE "7 footers" are in fact closer to 6 foot 6 or 6 foot 7, with the few guys that truly approach 7 feet, being kind of weirdly built and not that powerful. The ones that still have muscles in proportion to their size appear to be 6 foot 8 max.

So a guy of Clegane's height is feasible, yes, but then he would be someone who has gigantism and the associated health problems, and would probably not be as strong as he is depicted to be in the books. It would seem that 7 feet tall is pretty much the max for someone to be proportionally strong and reasonably athletic.

I stand to be corrected of course.

If I remember rightly there was a Libyan basketball player that was 8' 2" in the 70's, whether that's his real height or if he was any good at basketball (reasonably athletic) is another matter.

If I remember rightly there was a Libyan basketball player that was 8' 2" in the 70's, whether that's his real height or if he was any good at basketball (reasonably athletic) is another matter.

Yeah but basketball players are probably not the right comparison to Clegane, because you can be tall and very lean and still be a decent basketball player. These would be similar to the tall thin guys on stalks that some Ghiscari lord has in his army of 8 foot tall people, outside Mereen. For Clegane, we are instead talking about an NFL football player type of build, on someone almost 8 feet tall. And that does not seem feasible, based on recorded cases.

The Great Khali is seven foot one and built like an athlete. I can buy a near 8 footer in a canon that includes giants.

He would be equivalent to the Greatjon in height, then. Add another half a foot on top of him, and you get Clegane.

Besides, that Great Khali doesn't look built like Stone Cold Steve Austin or the Rock. He looks kind of lopsided. I doubt he is very strong in proportion to his height, as the giant men of Westeros are depicted to be.

I think wildling women who are taken by giants die from the size of the childbirth... so if the Cleganes are part giant, killing women is just kind of in their blood.

Yeah but basketball players are probably not the right comparison to Clegane, because you can be tall and very lean and still be a decent basketball player. These would be similar to the tall thin guys on stalks that some Ghiscari lord has in his army of 8 foot tall people, outside Mereen. For Clegane, we are instead talking about an NFL football player type of build, on someone almost 8 feet tall. And that does not seem feasible, based on recorded cases.

Yeah the issue is the strength and muscle definition. Gigantism usually comes with health risks especially relating to blood circulation and it puts a lot of burden on the heart, so I guess working out too often could be come a problem.

Hybrid human-giant offspring come from male humans mating with female giants.

thought it was the other way for some reason... I don't like much of the culture north of the wall except the CotF, so I tend to forget a lot of it.

thought it was the other way for some reason... I don't like much of the culture north of the wall except the CotF, so I tend to forget a lot of it.

The reason being that human women cannot give birth to hybrid giant babies. The babies are too large. Both die in childbirth.

EDIT

In fact I have a theory that the ancient Umbers captured some female giants, forcibly bred with them and thus founded their line of genetically extra large humans.

As clues we have the Umber location up close to the Wall, their sigil of a captive giant breaking free from its chains, and the excessive size of the males in their family.

Archived