Comics X: The Great Ten

Sci-2

Just read the guardian article on it and it isn't Thor. It's a new wielder of Mjolnir like you said. I don't get this quote at all "This is not She-Thor. This is not Lady Thor. This is not Thorita. This is THOR. This is the THOR of the Marvel universe. But it's unlike any Thor we've ever seen before." as that to me suggests it is the same person currently called Thor. Or is Thor now just a title like "king" or "duke"? At least when Loki changed he was still Loki but by this logic some other asgardian trickster could claim the title too.

It's almost certainly Angela and the character is more interesting off the page eg legal battles and general spitefulness than anything the character has actually done.

I agree it's probably Angela, but they could work it other ways too. Could be an alternate-universe female Thor who spends some time in the main Marvel universe, for example, filling in until base-Thor proves himself worthy again.

Just read the guardian article on it and it isn't Thor. It's a new wielder of Mjolnir like you said. I don't get this quote at all "This is not She-Thor. This is not Lady Thor. This is not Thorita. This is THOR. This is the THOR of the Marvel universe. But it's unlike any Thor we've ever seen before." as that to me suggests it is the same person currently called Thor. Or is Thor now just a title like "king" or "duke"? At least when Loki changed he was still Loki but by this logic some other asgardian trickster could claim the title too.

It's almost certainly Angela and the character is more interesting off the page eg legal battles and general spitefulness than anything the character has actually done.

Apparently Thor is also a title bestowed to anyone who wields Mojlnir.

Also I think it would have been kind of cooler if they had just given the hammer to Sif instead of some new arbitrary character.

It does seem really odd how they have Falcon Captain America and Female Thor. Rumour now is that we'll get a different Iron man too (possibly his evil brother in "superior Iron Man"). As I've said there is zero doubt that they will all revert back before Avengers 2 comes out so it's even more of a stunt than usual.

Wicked and Divine #2: Interesting. A bit disappointed by the ending though:

Wanted to see the Morrigan, and after all the build up she's dead? Meh.

Original Sin #6: So far this is kind of interesting, and kind of annoying. Nick Fury can out-wizard Strange? Can out-alien S.W.O.R.D? Not to mention the use of Midas + Oubilette seems like a way to step on Grant Morrison's legacy at Marvel because they're conveniently powerful-but-not-overly-utilized rather than extend the ideas mentioned in Marvel Boy.

Clive Barker's Next Testament #11: Could've been so much better if it'd only been 6 issues tops, or at least left enough for room for 1-2 issues of Trinity flash backs. Wick being a crazy, overpowered, prettier Cenobite didn't do much for me.

This new Thor thing... *sigh* I'm all for expanding the role of female characters in the Marvel U, but this is ridiculous; there's no way they can create a story good enough to convince us that "Thor" is now a title, and not just a name. And if it is a title, what will current Thor be called, since he's staying around? Just "Unworthy", perhaps, since Thor is now synonym of Worthy? But at least now we know why Remender gave so much importance to Jarnbjorn in Uncanny Avengers.

It will be incredibly disappointing if new Thor turns out to be Angela; Marvel should have realized by now that the only time readers care about her is when she's flirting with Gamora. She looks blonde in the promo arts, though, so probably not her. They say it's someone Thor saves. I haven't read his solo series in months, so I have no idea if a likely candidate has already shown up. I agree Sif, or genderfluid current Thor, would have made more sense (not to mention, as red snow said, genderfluid thor would finally have given them a safe solution to the Hyperion/Thor sexual tension), but what do I know? Of course Marvel will take the opportunity to put out two Thor books every month.

It's interesting how they're making big changes in four of its most lucrative characters all around the same time, though. Of all of those, Wolverine's death is the one I expect to last for longer - but even then, probably no more than SpOck did.

On other news, everything about AXIS sounds amazing, and I'd be willing to bet this will be the first Marvel event since Civil War that is more enjoyable than disappointing.

Original Sin #6: So far this is kind of interesting, and kind of annoying. Nick Fury can out-wizard Strange? Can out-alien S.W.O.R.D? Not to mention the use of Midas + Oubilette seems like a way to step on Grant Morrison's legacy at Marvel because they're conveniently powerful-but-not-overly-utilized rather than extend the ideas mentioned in Marvel Boy.

I feel like this event is serving as an explanation for why the hell Bucky will be in space in his new solo series, and an ode to Nick Fury while we prepare for his more than likely death, which will probably last longer than usual, since we'll have two substitutes for him. But, yeah, his secret activities make zero sense. But we're getting some of Deodato's best art, so this doesn't bother me as much as it should.

Meanwhile, nobody but T'Challa cares about Uatu's death. Readers included.

Thor is a title. That's well established in marvel canon. 8 regulars have been Thor. In addition, captain America, superman, storm and Wonder Woman have all wielded the power.

Honestly there aren't many characters that this could work better for in the marvel universe. It's like complaining others beside Hal Jordan were green lanterns.

Thor is a title. That's well established in marvel canon. 8 regulars have been Thor. In addition, captain America, superman, storm and Wonder Woman have all wielded the power.

Honestly there aren't many characters that this could work better for in the marvel universe. It's like complaining others beside Hal Jordan were green lanterns.

What's Thor's name when he doesn't wield the hammer? It looks like in Marvel that's how it works but i still think it's disingenuous to say "This is Thor". But hey, they got a kick out of saying "this is peter parker" too for sp-ock (and it was the best the title had been in years).

I guess the thor mythology has evolved in marvel over time as it used to be that the hammer transformed a human into Thor - which fits with the current idea (another character picks up the hammer and Thor's power and personality are imprinted on the host). But hasn't Thor just been a god for quite a while without the need for a host? Have to admit I'm only a casual fan of the character so maybe what i get from avengers is misleading.

I guess the thor mythology has evolved in marvel over time as it used to be that the hammer transformed a human into Thor - which fits with the current idea (another character picks up the hammer and Thor's power and personality are imprinted on the host). But hasn't Thor just been a god for quite a while without the need for a host? Have to admit I'm only a casual fan of the character so maybe what i get from avengers is misleading.

Heh, in one of the Infinity Gauntlet stories, Thor isn't actually Thor but a human pretending to be the original (he's apparently lying to everyone because... reasons). At one point he loses hold of the hammer for too long (something like one minute; who knew Asgardian magic worked in base 60?) and turns back into his wimpy human self, which is bad because at the time he is in outer space.

Strangely, this marketing ploy by Marvel made the front page of the local newspaper here in Germany. It's below the fold, but that still seems rather weird to me.

Heh, in one of the Infinity Gauntlet stories, Thor isn't actually Thor but a human pretending to be the original (he's apparently lying to everyone because... reasons). At one point he loses hold of the hammer for too long (something like one minute; who knew Asgardian magic worked in base 60?) and turns back into his wimpy human self, which is bad because at the time he is in outer space.

Strangely, this marketing ploy by Marvel made the front page of the local newspaper here in Germany. It's below the fold, but that still seems rather weird to me.

It seems Thor has led a very convoluted life. I know there was Clone Thor a while back as well.

It must be a slowish news week for that to make the front page

It seems Thor has led a very convoluted life. I know there was Clone Thor a while back as well.

There's also a sort of alien Thor called Beta Ray Bill. He seems to have some kind of copy of Mjolnir or something. It's really weird.

There's also a sort of alien Thor called Beta Ray Bill. He seems to have some kind of copy of Mjolnir or something. It's really weird.

The horse alien. I've never read anything with him in but I like the WTF of him. He also popped up in the Planet hulk animated film. Thor is a very trippy character it seems. This latest stunt seems relatively mild by comparison

The horse alien. I've never read anything with him in but I like the WTF of him. He also popped up in the Planet hulk animated film. Thor is a very trippy character it seems. This latest stunt seems relatively mild by comparison

Yeah, the horse guy. He was part of the post-Thanos Imperative Guardians of the Galaxy replacement team called "Annihilators" (a name that manages to sound even less reassuring than "Avengers"). They had a miniseries, operating out of Knowhere like the Guardians before. The difference was that the individual team members were much more powerful than Star Lord and friends. Besides Bill they had Quasar (back from the dead for like the third time in his career), Ronan, the Silver Surfer, Gladiator and Ikon (who I think was a new character). It wasn't particularly interesting, apart from the fact that for all their power, they weren't terribly effective since, as Ikon pointed out, nobody really dared to cut loose for fear of collateral damage.

You know, after thinking about the weirdness of Thor's various incarnations, I'm almost curious to see how this turns out. Is it known who will be writing it?

I think it's Jason Aaron who's been writing the title for the last year and a half. His run has been pretty popular so you'd have to hope this was his idea and not one that was imposed on him by editorial

I think it's Jason Aaron who's been writing the title for the last year and a half. His run has been pretty popular so you'd have to hope this was his idea and not one that was imposed on him by editorial

It kinda has to suck writing Marvel comics right now though. The movies are so ridiculously successful that comics featuring characters that appear in the films are probably seen mostly as marketing tools by the higher ups, so that'll factor into any story ideas that get okayed.

Yeah, but not all of them took the name Thor for themselves, just the power from Mjolnir. And, my memory might be failing me, but I don't remember the one we're used to thinking of as Thor (and how messed up is it that we now have to describe him like that? lol) being around when they were using the name. The problem is that, in theory, that will be two people using the name - or even worse, we'll have to get used to calling the guy we've known as Thor for several decades something else. It's just too complicated... They should just send him off to live with Odin at this point.

A radio station owned by the army here spent several minutes talking about the new Thor. The most unexpected thing to ever happen to me on the way to work, really.

On other news, I'm expecting this whole Avengers Now thing, and that teaser image (unsurprisingly, containing zero mutants, might I add), to mean that Scarlet Witch and Doctor Strange are getting new solo ongoings. Hopefully with good creative teams behind them.

On other news, I'm expecting this whole Avengers Now thing, and that teaser image (unsurprisingly, containing zero mutants, might I add), to mean that Scarlet Witch and Doctor Strange are getting new solo ongoings. Hopefully with good creative teams behind them.

Don't forget the FF too. They've even ignored Quicksilver probably because of his appearance in the x-men film. Ridiculous. It's the epitome of higher ups from one medium dictating and crippling another one. They are force feeding us the inhumans (thank god no-one is succumbing yet) as the new version of a mutant, while their flagship family of titles (spanning 3 decades - as they've been sidelined for almost 10) are ignored. Any other comic publisher would kill for the x-franchise and treat it well. Marvel is trying their best by keeping "talent" on the books but their hands are clearly tied.

You also summed up my confusion RE Thor the title and Thor the god whose had stories in comics from his childhood and beyond.

Did any of you read the bleeding cool's fun idea behind Fox's failed attempt to buy warner brothers? If Fox ever succeeds then while we'll never see wolverine in the avengers we'll maybe see him in the Justice league.

I just noticed superior Iron Man has glowing blue eyes. I'm putting forum pride on the revelation that he is infected with Ultron because it will tie in perfectly with the film and also make comic iron man more closely related to Ultron as he will be in the films,

I also call bullshit on Brevoort;s claim that the gimmick avengers won't revert back in time for the Avengers film. It probably happens a week after it's release.

Archived