The identity bandwagon

watson98

Why is it that since aDwD everyone is now suspicious of every characters identity?
All I'm seeing is people posting 'this person is this guy in a glamour' or 'his parents aren't his even though they are both POV characters and think of him as their son'.

I don't get it!

Why is it that since aDwD everyone is now suspicious of every characters identity?

All I'm seeing is people posting 'this person is this guy in a glamour' or 'his parents aren't his even though they are both POV characters and think of him as their son'.

I don't get it!

Because GRRM takes so long between books that we've already figured out who is who and we're trying for the impossible ones...

Well the question of who is really who and who is even who they think they are is a big theme in the later books. However you're right the theorizing has gotten way out of hand. That and what the other guy said. Every aspect of everything has been analyzed and over analyzed again and again and I guess people ran out of things to talk about. So at this point any random nuttery is being given consideration as long as its something different.

I don't get it!

watson98, eh?

Hmmm...

Why the non-cap 'w'? What's the 98 signify? Is the non cap w for west...as in Westeros, perhaps? And the 98 is a countdown? 9...8...7 KINGDOMS?

And Watson was famous as both the sidekick to Sherlock Holmes and Alexander Graham Bell.

GRAHAM...turn the M sideways, say westward, and that's GRAHAE...RHAEGA_.

So, Rhaegar minus an 'r'...? Iron is fer in French, but missing the 'r' in the chemical symbol!! Both missing r's DOUBLY indicate you have designs on the Iron Throne.

You are Rhaegar Targaryan. Stop hiding.

watson98, eh?

Hmmm...

Why the non-cap 'w'? What's the 98 signify? Is the non cap w for west...as in Westeros, perhaps? And the 98 is a countdown? 9...8...7 KINGDOMS?

And Watson was famous as both the sidekick to Sherlock Holmes and Alexander Graham Bell.

So, Rhaegar minus an 'r'...? Iron is fer in French, but missing the 'r' in the chemical symbol!! Both missing r's DOUBLY indicate you have designs on the Iron Throne.

This made me smile.

Because that's what the author wants.

he put in a supposed baby swap. He put in someone coming back to life through a glamour. he put in a character assumed a parent of another, yet wrote it carefully enough to leave doubt when the other bread crumbs were followed.

Daario's eyes aren't described as "almost purple" for no reason. He has blue hair, then the next person we see with blue hair and "almost blue" eyes turns out to be a secret Targaryen. I have no Daario identity theories or want of them, but its plain from the text that we're supposed to question around. Even Jaime, Cersei and/or Tyrion can be spun into Targs with a decent (but by no means solid) case for it.

the real question here is, why aren't you jumping on the bandwagon with us? It's fun on here. I mean, just look at me. You can clearly see I'm a lost Targaryen too. ;)

GRRM wants us to question the identity of certain characters. The popular ones for me are Daario Naharis, Darkstar, Aurane Waters

Do not take it as an offense, but I never understood the theories concerning the later two. Darkstar is a well-known guy amongst Dornish nobility, we do not have any more basis to question his identity than e. g. that of Dickon Manwoody or Daemon Sand. Yes, he has some Valyrian features, but that's all. And Aurane Waters is a Velaryon bastard, and House Velaryon is an old Valyrian house (which in addition intermarried with the Targs), so his outlook is not surprising at all. I don't say that we can _exclude_ the possibility of some mistery in connection with them, just it does not seem more likely than a mistery surrounding any other random minor character.

watson98, eh?

Hmmm...

Aha yea, I'm really Rheaeger :P

Wasnt Watson also one of the guys who discovered the structure od DNA?

Its my last name and birth year :P

@Biter, I'm guessing it was his relatively late introduction, the supposed mystery surrounding him (why exactly is he the most dangerous man in Dorne?) and Arriane's comments that if they had children they would be "as beautiful as dragonlords."

Aha yea, I'm really Rheaeger :P

Identity thief!!!

@Biter, I'm guessing it was his relatively late introduction, the supposed mystery surrounding him (why exactly is he the most dangerous man in Dorne?) and Arriane's comments that if they had children they would be "as beautiful as dragonlords."

Identity thief!!!

I'd say that Martin is making a point that Daynes can pass for Targaryens.

I'd say that Martin is making a point that Daynes can pass for Targaryens.

I think the point is bigger than that. In the beginning, we all bought that the Targaryens were a special, magical breed with superpowers of fire and poison resistance. As the novels go on we find more and more people with Targaryen features, including most Lysene whores. Similarly, king's blood is originally presented as containing powerful magic, but by now we have encountered a very large number of people with "a drop o' kings blood," whether Targayen or from one of the innumerable kings from before the conquest. Thus, I think that people who speculate about who is a secret Targ and therefore of especial significance have drawn the opposite of the intended lesson, which is pretty much that people are people, IMO.

However except for R+L=J there arent really any good theories. most are crackpot and the rest is just troll threads. It happens to any fandom when there is no new material to consume. And dont be shy to post new theories!

After people found out Ned=/=Eddard everything is possible.

Now I wouldn't go that far. I've seen plenty of interesting and plausible theories around here. Granted the who's who in Planetos game has gotten really old but not every theory is about secret Targs/Starks. Its actually pretty sad I have a theory about a potential secret Targ thats more plausible than most, if still firmly in crackpot territory. However I doubt I will ever post it even if it turns out to be right just too much crap out there already.

I don't get it!

It started with the first book, not ADWD. The mystery surrounding Jon's mother, and Aegon's face being smashed. The switch of Mance and Gilly's sons, and reappearance of Aegon with a story of being switched have only added to it. Plus readers come and go, so the same things get brought up over and over again as if they are new.

However except for R+L=J there arent really any good theories. most are crackpot and the rest is just troll threads. It happens to any fandom when there is no new material to consume. And dont be shy to post new theories!

After people found out Ned=/=Eddard everything is possible.

What?

What?

He is making reference to gibberish theory that "Ned" Stark and "Eddard" Stark are two different people. One of which "Eddard" was executed by Illyn Payne and that the other one "Ned" the father of the Stark children and all aournd super great guy we all know and love is still alive running around somewhere.

He is making reference to gibberish theory that "Ned" Stark and "Eddard" Stark are two different people. One of which "Eddard" was executed by Illyn Payne and that the other one "Ned" the father of the Stark children and all aournd super great guy we all know and love is still alive running around somewhere.

Awesome. How did I not know this before now?!?!

That can't be a thing can it?

Thats insane, almost as bad as Ser Waffles 'A Theory' thread....

Archived