Reading without Spoilers!

count7olaf

Hello fellow ASOIAF fans!

This is my first post on this forum and I am very excited about this whole thing... Let's get to the topic!

I have decided to read each Novel after the respective TV series Season on HBO. Currently I have just finished watching the 4th Season, but I have read up to the "Red Wedding" (Catelyn VII) chapter on the "A Storm of Swords" Book.

I have been informed that there are several things that are happening in this Book, but were not included in the TV series.

All I want to know is up to which chapter I can "safely" read the Novel, without reading any extra features that have not happened yet in the TV series.

Thank you all in advance!

Valar morgulis

Welcome to the boards!

I watched the first 3 seasons of the shows before getting into the books.

I'm curious why you choose to watch the TV shows before reading the books.

Your post is a little confusing... because... it sounds like you do NOT want to read anything that will go to TV show.

If that is your condition, then you would have to know what the producers want to cover in their 5th season.

Wiki says that Season 4 contained the 2nd half of Storm of Swords + some elements of FfC and ADWD.

So... I would think that you can allow yourself to read all of Storm of Swords.

From Wikipedia:

Season 1 March 2, 2010[30] Second half of 2010 April 17, 2011 A Game of Thrones

Season 2 April 19, 2011 Second half of 2011 April 1, 2012 A Clash of Kings

Season 3 April 10, 2012 Second half of 2012 March 31, 2013[31] About the first half of A Storm of Swords[32]

Season 4 April 2, 2013[33] Second half of 2013 April 6, 2014[34] The second half of A Storm of Swords, and some elements from A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons[35]

Season 5 April 8, 2014[4] TBA TBA A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons[36]

Season 6 April 8, 2014[4] TBA TBA TBA

@Freerider

Thank you so much for your immediate reply. My question is indeed confusing, after reading it again...

All i wanted to know is whether there are any extra things happening on the last part of "A Storm of Swords" Novel, that have not taken place on the TV series yet. Any additional deaths for example (i would not be surprised), an important fight, etc..

The reason behind this "caprice" is the realization that watching the TV series and knowing what will happen next (from the Book) actually eliminates the interest of the show for me. The opposite does not apply though (i know it's subjective).

​P.S. I am also aware that there are features from the 4th and 5th novel on the TV show already. But the storytelling is not linear, and i would not be surprised to hear that there are extra features on the 3rd book, not-yet-mentioned on the TV show..

True, in the epilogue of Storm occurs something that most likely will be put in the TV show, and that hasn't appeared yet. So skip that chapter.

Further, I think you can safely read all the other chapters. Keep in mind though, that the TV show and the books differ on some places, rather a lot. So there will always be things in the books happening, while they didn't occur on the TV show. Sometimes, elements for earlier storylines are borrowed from chapters occuring much later (a particular Arya scene from season 4 contained elements from a sample chapter for Winds, for example). So I assume it is also possible that in later seasons, the show makers will "borrow" scenes from earlier books, which they hadn't used earlier.

• 2 weeks later...

One thing you have to keep in mind is that not everything that happens in the book, will happen in the TV series. So you can read something, but it will not happen in the series at all. Mostly, I think you can read ASOS up to the epilogue and quite there. Also, look out on this forum: for the web is dark and full of spoilers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I do as you as I, simply put, prefer moving picture as a medium but use the books to fill in the blanks. I have read aSoS as my book reading friends said it would be fine after watching season 4. They forgot the epilouge, huge information in that one so stay away. Other than that I only can come up with one major thing that has not happened in the show yet but most certainly will, but if you have read to the red wedding that has already happened in th book.

Archived