Increasing popularity of Stannis

ForgottenKnight

So I've noticed an increase in people rooting for Stannis from most tv viewers since the Red Wedding and even more so now that he's in the North. Do you guys feel as if this is a result of more likeable characters being eliminated or is he growing on people? I see him as an honorable man who is somewhat tormented by the terrible things he must do in order to win. He was considered least likely to win in the War of 5 Kings and yet has outlasted others with better resources. Even after his massive defeat at Blackwater he refuses to surrender and keep fighting when things are at their darkest. His two advisors, Davos and Melisandre almost literally behave like an angel and devil on his shoulders telling him what to do. He has done terrible things, worst among them killing members of his family but he has always taken the responsibility of saving the seven kingdoms before his own personal desires. What do you guys think about him?

I got to say, I like him since book 1 when Ned talks about him with hight respect. Also, I believe the throne is his by right, and the more I read about Targaryens the more I dislike them.

However I think thats not the reason why people are starting to get fond on him.

Mostly is because, as said in an other thread, Martin has put Stannis against the series main villians, when nobody else is fighting back, I know at some point other characters ma intervine, but at this point its mostly just him.

Cmon, even the ones who like Daenerys cant say one cant hate a loraq more than a Bolton or a Frey.

Cmon, even the ones who like Daenerys cant say one cant hate a loraq more than a Bolton or a Frey.

I hate the Masters of SB more. The Boltons and Freys don't kill babies by the thousands, or crucified children just to taunt someone.

At least you can understand why Walder and Roose did what they did. Ramsay otoh is as bad as the Masters of SB. If Stannis kills Ramsay he might even make a fan out of me.

I hated him on my first read through and really haven't altered my stance on him. While I think he has the commitment to duty that would suit him to sit on the IT, he would have to surround himself with a High Council made up of people like Renly to be in touch with the commoners.

Another thing that bugs me about him is the fact that while he has done what he needed to in order to survive (pretty much a requirement in GRRM's world), he has become far too reliant upon Melisandre, whom I believe has her own motives, which will likely end up coming back to bite him in the ass. The fact that he fails to recognize this means his naivete is on par with Robb Stark's, which didn't end up so well.

Then there's the fact that he's far too entitled and, to be honest, doesn't really understand the different factors involved in political decisions other people make. He came north of the Wall, yet has absolutely no concept of how the Northerners (people he NEEDS) operate. Jon Snow tries to explain the situation to him, but all he does is bitch and moan, then further complain about not being given Night's Watch castles. For all of the praise he gets, he seems kind of ignorant.

The only redeeming factor for Stannis is the fact that most of his chapters early on are through Davos POVs and Davos is awesome.

I hated him on my first read through and really haven't altered my stance on him. While I think he has the commitment to duty that would suit him to sit on the IT, he would have to surround himself with a High Council made up of people like Renly to be in touch with the commoners.

Another thing that bugs me about him is the fact that while he has done what he needed to in order to survive (pretty much a requirement in GRRM's world), he has become far too reliant upon Melisandre, whom I believe has her own motives, which will likely end up coming back to bite him in the ass. The fact that he fails to recognize this means his naivete is on par with Robb Stark's, which didn't end up so well.

Then there's the fact that he's far too entitled and, to be honest, doesn't really understand the different factors involved in political decisions other people make. He came north of the Wall, yet has absolutely no concept of how the Northerners (people he NEEDS) operate. Jon Snow tries to explain the situation to him, but all he does is bitch and moan, then further complain about not being given Night's Watch castles. For all of the praise he gets, he seems kind of ignorant.

The only redeeming factor for Stannis is the fact that most of his chapters early on are through Davos POVs and Davos is awesome.

I think that it's not the fact that he doesn't understand, but the fact that he thinks that everybody should follow the rules no matter the circumstance.

Stannis is the guy who is balding in his 30's, stuck wit a shitty apartment, an ungrateful job, an unattractive wife and just gets shit on by his jock brothers who get high-fived left and right for partying all the time, yet he soldiers on and cleans up the mess others left (i.e. fighting most antagonists in Westeros).

On top of that he's sarcastic to a T, which is completely over the heads of about everyone in Westeros and doesn't take that corrupt bullshit from the elite and even actively pisses on them by dressing in humble clothes (except that damn crown) and not indulging in excesses despite being high nobility/royalty.

He does some shitty things mainly in the religious department or more like letting those zealots influence him too much, which I don't approve at all, but other than that he is probably the best reflection on real life were people admire shallow appearances without any substance instead of people who actually have some reasonable ideas but get ignored because they don't have the charisma.

Despite the whole R'hllor bullshit and him being too blunt (to the point of being insulting) at times, he's still the character I genuinely root for the most. He's like that realistic and cynical approach to fantasy as opposed to the more escapist and fantastic aspects like Bran or to a certain degree Dany (mostly because of the dragons but I appreciate the relative grittiness in her arc as well, so it's not all sunshine there either).

Some characters like Ned are what people in real life want to be while Stannis is what most people actually are. It seems just like no one wants to get confronted with that fact when reading fantasy.

So I've noticed an increase in people rooting for Stannis from most tv viewers since the Red Wedding and even more so now that he's in the North. Do you guys feel as if this is a result of more likeable characters being eliminated or is he growing on people? I see him as an honorable man who is somewhat tormented by the terrible things he must do in order to win. He was considered the least likely to win in the War of 5 Kings and yet has outlasted others with better resources. Even after his massive defeat at Blackwater he refuses to surrender and keep fighting when things are at their darkest. His two advisors, Davos and Melisandre are almost literally behave like an angel and devil on his shoulders telling him what to do. He has done terrible things, worst among them killing members of his family. What do you guys think about him?

Looking at War of 5 Kings in general and at all those terrible things that occurred, Stannis isn't really worst or best of all options and players. He isn't Robb Starkish like (if he's some sort of high quality factor in this story) but he's also not Joff or Tywin type. Yes, he killed his own brother, but after he offered Renly to be his heir and was mockingly refused. Just like Tywin, he understands things need to be done or everything will fall apart but he also has some sense of justice and duty (which seem to be little higher up the ladder then Tywin's/Cersei's,/Joffrey's).

Of remaining players Cersei is crazy, Tyrells are hungry for power and don't really care about anything but themselves. Varys and LF have similar urges of playing their sick game. Aegon is annoying kid, he thinks he already learned everything and doesn't need council or help. And Danny is...duh, nowhere to be found when her kingdom needs her.

Stannis was always interesting, but he really got me when he went to the north (as you said, refused to quit and kept fighting). He decided to get Boltons out of North and prove that he's indeed true king who cares about his Realm. (Also, to be king he needs some sort of territory to own de facto)

I think he still sees Mel as necessary evil and would be happy to get her off his back. He also knows he will face defeat if he does that...but yeah, I agree he's probably awfully tormented by brother-slaying thing and a fact he's some sort of Mel's slave.

I'm wondering about his reaction when Mel finally realizes and tells him that he's not AA...will he kill her immediately or wait and use her some more?

Stannis is growing as a character. He's getting over being all butthurt over Renly getting the better castle, and other indignities, and he's out where he's more in control of his own fate. Face it, AGoT Stannis was pretty much a dick the way he treated Maester Cressen (who'd practically raised Stannis as a son) and some of his other stunts. His insistence on his birthright is really grating to members of modern society (or if it isn't it should be).

Archived