who is the smartest character in terms of raw intellect

Godbreaker

Littlefinger or Tyrion. For me, "raw intellect" does not mean street smarts so Varys and Arya are not an option.

How is Varys only "street smart"? He has the best spy network of the known world, he has been in the shadows of kings for decades (succeeding to survive all of them) and his plans take place on two continents. He even have at least 3 potential kings under his sleeves (Dany, Aegon, Gendry)...

How is Gendry under his sleeve?

And most probably with Dany he will end up beying Dragon's food

For that matter how is Dany even under his sleeve? He has no control over her and the people who she does listen too are not Varys' men/women. Her being in the Dothraki Sea doesn't help things either.

For that matter how is Dany even under his sleeve? He has no control over her and the people who she does listen too are not Varys' men/women. Her being in the Dothraki Sea doesn't help things either.

Completely agree the only joker that Varys has is Aegon

I could say Tyrion or Doran but I choose Catelyn.I think she is clever,cunning,logic without having been well educated and even when she starts being depressive for the deaths in her family she sais right things.

I don't see anything smart Cat did in the novels. She was completely played by LF. Even when LF's story really didn't make any sense about the dagger, she's still dumb enough to believe him.

Missandei strikes me as very smart and perceptive. Aemon, The Reader, Lady Olenna, Little Finger, Varys, Roose, Tywin, Tyrion, Luwin, Sam and Hoster Blackwood seem very intelligent in different ways.

Davos is the champion in the common sense department.

Yeah Catelyn was so smart she threw a temper tantrum that started the war of the 5 kings that directly caused the destruction of her family. No Catelyn was a dumb hothead just like her father and brother. If I had to rank her I would say she is one of the least intelligent people in the series. I can cite other examples of her stupidity if you like

Seriously, name one action she did that wasn't a primarily based on emotion and not reason. I'm really thinking people are trolling, since the Tullys as a whole are a stupid lot. I think only the Greyjoys beat them as far as a major house is concerned.

I didn't say he has control over her, but he helped her many times and supports her. Nobody knows if Dany or Aegon will sit on the Iron Throne, but I'm quite sure that either way, Varys would be on their council.

As for Gendry, Varys saved his life by sending him to the Wall. If his Targaryen restoration should fail, Gendry would be a good back up plan as the older son of Robert Baratheon... But that's speculation, yes, I was just pointed out that Varys had a certain skill to have many cards up his sleeves...

I didn't say he has control over her, but he helped her many times and supports her. Nobody knows if Dany or Aegon will sit on the Iron Throne, but I'm quite sure that either way, Varys would be on their council.

As for Gendry, Varys saved his life by sending him to the Wall. If his Targaryen restoration should fail, Gendry would be a good back up plan as the older son of Robert Baratheon... But that's speculation, yes, I was just pointed out that Varys had a certain skill to have many cards up his sleeves...

But she doesn't know that and she grew certainly more powerful than he could have anticipated. All she knows that he was present when Tywin sacked the city and that he served under Robert. If anything Viserys might have been his creature but not Dany.

Gendry is completely off the radar though for most people.

He has an ability to put a lot of cards up his sleeves, but he just as quickly loses them. Ageon on the other side might be a big one if played well.

Catelyn is smart, one of the smartest characters I believe. We just met her at the worst time of her life. When she was betrayed and lied to. She later suffered depression, what can explain some over-emotional choices she made. We all know some of her decisions weren't the best for her family, but I also believe the author used her as a conduit for giving reasons to start the war. Aside the controversial actions she took, she often strikes as a rational and pragmatic woman.

Archived