LonCon 3 -- Airport Hookups Thread

DaveAx

Not to further derail your thread Dave but I did want to mention that I have used this car service before for travel from Heathrow into various parts of London and found them to be reliable:

http://www.londonheathrowcars.com/

Thanks for this link, LN. Not a derailment at all!

My flight info:

British Airways 2328 from Philly

Arrives 10am at Heathrow on 14 August

Traveling to Novotel

Quoted me £68 for the standard saloon car (includes driver meeting me at the gate). I expect to book and prepay this coming week, but do not need an answer anytime soon.

If you're on my flight and want to share the car, let me know.

Thanks for this link, LN. Not a derailment at all!

My flight info:

British Airways 2328 from Philly

Arrives 10am at Heathrow on 14 August

Traveling to Novotel

Quoted me £68 for the standard saloon car (includes driver meeting me at the gate). I expect to book and prepay this coming week, but do not need an answer anytime soon.

If you're on my flight and want to share the car, let me know.

Made my booking last night (for 13 August, 10:15 AM, BA0068). There's room for one more person and suitcase, should anyone be interested...

My quote was £61 for the standard car, plus another £8 for the meet-and-greet, plus another £3 for the use of a credit card rather than cash. Grand total was £72, roughly $120.

Also take note of two details:

1) If you want to prepay, rather than paying cash at the time of transport, you cannot do so online.

Instead, you must call their office during their business hours, after first making the booking on the website and receiving the emailed confirmation number. At that point, you provide them with card info over the phone. So, I had a lovely chat with them at 2 AM EDT, when they were available.

2) If you have not previously notified your credit card company that you plan to use the card for an overseas purchase, you may -- as I did -- get rudely awakened at 8:30 AM with a phone call verifying that it was not a fraudulent use.

(As a general rule, which I note here for those unfamiliar with international travel, it is critical to provide your card companies with advance notice of travel plans. Otherwise, you won't be home when they call to confirm your first away purchase, and will then have the unpleasant experience of having your card refused for the rest of the trip.)

I will most likely be flying into Stansted as well, altho I am flipfloping cos I prefer Gatwick but mwaaah, can't decide. At least I know I hate Heathrow more so there is that. :p Planning on getting there on the 13th and am rooming with Adz! :)

Really looking forward to seeing you guys.

I will most likely be flying into Stansted as well, altho I am flipfloping cos I prefer Gatwick but mwaaah, can't decide. At least I know I hate Heathrow more so there is that. :P Planning on getting there on the 13th and am rooming with Adz! :)

Really looking forward to seeing you guys.

What time on the 13th? If Gatwick, I am arriving that day too, probably one of the few using Gatwick.

What time on the 13th? If Gatwick, I am arriving that day too, probably one of the few using Gatwick.

Around lunch time (12.00 if the Gods of Norwegian Airlines are with me). I decided to go with Gatwick anyway since I know the way into town and the routes from Victoria better. Used to commute through Victoria station every day. When are you coming in?

Thanks for the offer though Pebbles! :D

Around lunch time (12.00 if the Gods of Norwegian Airlines are with me). I decided to go with Gatwick anyway since I know the way into town and the routes from Victoria better. Used to commute through Victoria station every day. When are you coming in?

Thanks for the offer though Pebbles! :D

I will be there much earlier, 6.30am is the usual schedule, since I am red-eyeing in from the other side of the Atlantic.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, London locals....
What are the appropriate tipping percentages for taxicabs and hire cars?

Enquiring minds want to know!

The other seat in my hire car has now been claimed.

An you have a good claimant too!

We are departing London via Gatwick on Monday the 18th. Our BA flight leaves at 11:35 am. Anybody else going?

Departing London Heathrow on Tuesday, 19 August, at 4:55 PM local time, so I can't join you, Baita...

But I'm figuring that departure car shares will be much easier to arrange on site anyway...

• 2 weeks later...

Arrival: 14 August

8:10PM London, United Kingdom - Heathrow, terminal 1
Airline: Icelandair FI454

haven't booked anything yet... just seeing if anyone else might be arriving around the same time

Archived