Your favorite character TV/Book ? Why

lancelot97

I really liked Robb Stark more in the show than the books. He felt more like a fully fledged main character than he did in the books. His bad choices seemed much more reasonable on screen and I for one found the red wedding sadder on the show. Same goes for Oberyn. As for the books.I have too many favourites but I do love stannis. I'm not.under the.impression that he's a good person or going to win but you've got to admire the man's drive. He set his goal and he won't give up no matter what. I also like Davos who is straight up just the nicest, most moral man in westeros.

I like jon less in the show, but he's starting to grow on me more. sansa is my second favorite character (after jon). her scenes in the mountain and the viper were some of my favorite things from the show or the books. I also like theon more on the show, because of alfie's amazing acting. seriously, he better get an emmy for s5.

Theon because he has the most depth and most interesting chapters and internal monologue, in my opinion.

I like that he divides opinion among the readers/viewers as well, some people like him and some people hate him - I think this makes for a more realistic character than one always shown in either a positive or negative light. Theon has been shown in both lights and then it's up to the viewer to decide which one he belongs in.

That's fantastic writing on GRRM's part.

• 2 weeks later...

I've only read the books

Stannis is my favorite character.

I liked the buildup he got in the first book. Tywin Lannister called him something like "the most dangerous of all the new kings." Ned f'n Stark said something like "he's the true heir." And a few other characters dropped comments that made me really want to meet this guy.

Then we're introduced to him and......I thought he was an asshole being manipulated by the evil sorceress, Melisandre. What a letdown! While I still considered him the true heir, I wasn't a fan of his at first. Removing four of Davos' fingers after the Onion Knight saved his life seemed like such a jerk move. (now I realize what a total Stannis move it is) The black magic takedown of Renly the Usurper seemed like an even a bigger dick move. Plus I thought Mel was pure 'evil' at the time so I just wasn't a big Stannis fan.

But he won me over. I'm not exactly sure when it happened. It may have been the conversation with Davos after the Onion Knight got out of prison, or maybe it was when Stannis arrived at the Wall and we got to see more of him, but I just started liking him more and more. I always considered him to have the best claim, but at some point I realized he was hilarious as he kept dropping epic line after epic line, and having wonderful things said about him by other characters. "It reached a king who cared." The "I had it backwards" speech. "Then we will make new lords." "The cook would make a better Lord Commander." "Pray harder." The "Water/Wine speech." His boasting in the WoW preview chapter. Etc. Etc. God, I love Stannis. His "jokes" are the best in the series. He has his priorities straight. He will never yield. Ever. I bend the knee for King Stannis Baratheon the First of His Name!

Also love Sansa Stark. Probably for the same reasons a lot of people dislike her. Like Sansa, I was once an innocent wide-eyed idealist who didn't really understand how the world worked. She's just so sweet. I want to give her a hug and tell her everything will be alright. But this is Westeros. Things won't be alright. Sansa learned this the hard way. Yet she continues to use her courtesy and politeness to survive terrible situation after terrible situation while so many 'stronger' characters have died. More than any other character, Sansa dying would make me :(

Rounding out my Top 5 would be Ned because he's Ned f'n Stark, Davos for being a paragon of virtue who gives my man Stannis good counsel and Meera because Meera & Bran are just so cute together.

*I'm usually not drawn to the "good guys" but this series has so many vile characters I can't help but root for the "good" ones.

Archived