Dany is going to conquer most of known Essos

David C. Hunter

*Some TWOW Spoilers below*

Based on a recent link http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/113237-grrm-briefly-talks-twow/

GRRM Briefly talks about TWOW and the paths of Dany and Tyrion, mainly.

The main points were:

1. The Dothraki are coming back in a BIG WAY

2. Much of the Book Dany and Tyrion will remain apart

3. Dany is embracing herself as a Targaryan and her Houses words, "Fire and Blood" and that shes coming home"

Now the coming home part, I feel is metaphorical, but all of this points to what Ive been feeling for a long time...

Khalessi is going to conquer Most of Western and Southern Essos.

I know, the four biggest factors against this are:

Time: We only have two books left and how can we can basically Europa in that time frame? The White Walkers are marching

Distance: Essos is huge...enough said

Necessity: Why try to conquer them? What is to be gained?

Possibility: How is it possible to conquer all of Essos when you are having trouble with just the Yunkish?

Alright I'll do my best:

I. How can Dany do this? Where is her Army?

Battle of Fire

It seems the battle for Slaver's Bay will be separate from Dany's conquest, at least for the most part. I think Slaver's Bay will be decided by Barristan Selmy, The Unsullied, The Iron Fleet, The Second Sons (Tyrion), and the Windblown (Tattered Prince) .

The Dothraki

Dany is going to be with the Dothraki for quite some time it seems and that the Dothraki will come back in a big way. There is only one reason why the Dothraki are coming back into the story: An Army. The Dothraki follow strength and here they are seeing a Queen on the back of a black Dragon. What do you think the Khal will do? Put up a fight? (LOL)

I believe we will see the prophecy fufilled of the Khal of Khals who will unite all the Khalasars and trample nations into dust. Rhaego will return and or be born again.....I believe that Dany(Or Rhaego whatever) is going to unite all the Khalasrs and burn any who resist. I mserious, I think Dany is going to fully embrace Fire and Blood and she's done playing the "nice girl".

If I recall, Drogo's army consisted of 40,000 riders, can you imagine the amount of riders the supposed 28 khalasars combined underneath Dany will amount to? Where's her army? There's her army.

Combined

-Between Barristan's Army and Dany's Army, here is the list of her potential army:

1. Unsullied

2. Second Sons - Tyrion, Jorah

3. Windblown - Tattered Prince

4. Iron Fleet

5. Freed Slaves (Millions of people for the front lines lol)

6. Blood Riders - The ones who followed her

7. Queensguard - Barristan Selmy and company

8. Stormcrows

9. Khalasr horde

10.Three Dragons

-Obviously it won't be this simple and Dany can potentially lose two of her dragons, the Fleet, etc. But potentially Dany can have a huge army that can cover a lot of ground, conquer multiple territories simutaneously, etc.

II. Where will she conquer?

I. The most relevant territories in Essos are:

1. The 9 Free Cities:

Lorath

Braavos

Pentos

Lys

Tyrosh

Myr

Volantis

Qohor

Norvos

2. Valyria (Whatever remains)

3. Dothraki Sea

4. Kingdom of the Ifeqevron

5. Qarth

6. Slaver's Bay

III. How?

1. The Dothraki Sea will be Dany, she will make them bend the knee and if they dont she will have her own Dragon and Khalasar to submit them. period. She is only there to get an army. After she conquers them, sky is the limit. The army will be so large, she can send them off in multiple directions to conquer whatever she wanted.

2. Qarth - She has been wanting to burn Qarth forever and they have also declared war on her in Slavers Bay. Say bye bye

3. Volantis is already prophesized to burn if they declare war on Dany. Guess what, they did. So expect their destruction as well.

4. Pentos - Barristan Selmy more or less "promised" Pentos to the Tattered Prince. If the Windblown end up helping Barristan, he will be honor bound to help the Prince, I doubt he would refuse. How they go about doing it, idk. Barristan's Army can do it, Dany can do it. It's up to them.

5. Slaver's Bay - is finished. It is a diseased and bloody mess and it is only the beginning of their suffering. Between Barristan, The Iron Fleet, the Dragons, Second Sons, it is finished.

6. Qohor - Famous for stopping the attack of a Khalasar...what about 28 Khalasars and a dragon coming attack? The Dothraki would probably love to conquer the city that they never could.

7. Norvos - Also potentially being attacked by a large Khalasar

8. Lys, Tyrosh, Myr- lumped these three together because their fates are always tired to each other over the disputed lands. Too busy fighting over the disputed lands to see what's coming. They don't stand a chance to stopping any of Danys army

9. Wildcards:

Braavos - I don't believe Braavos will be conquered byt the Drago because their fate seems to be tied to the North's progress, they are still hidden from the air, they have the largest fleet, they are very out of the way, hard to get to by land, they are the most powerful and have assassins at their disposal.

Lorath - Don't know if Lorath wil come into play because its so far away from anything relevant

10. Crazy Wildcards:

Valyria - She won't have to conquer Valyria, but she may get some magical or superntual alliance with whatever is there, if she goes there.

Forest of the Ifequveron - IDK what to make of this. Children of the Forest, Spiders, White Walkers? No idea what is in this forest, but I feel like it will be important.

IV. Why do all this? Why Conquer Most of Essos?

1. The Glory of Old Valyria - Dany is starting to embrace her name ad words, and the Empire of Valyria stretched far and wide. She already believes the 7 Kingdoms belong to her, why not The Old Valyrian Freehold terriroties as well?

2. Revenge - The Tattered Prince wants revenge on Pentos, Dany wants revenge on whoever wronged her (Qarth, Slaver's Bay, Volantis - eventually, Pentos - eventually, the Khalsars who betaryed her and Drogo, etc)

3. Building an army- Uniting the Khalasar will literally give her the largest army in existence.

4. Freeing Slaves (Most impoirtant) - Dany literally sacked three cities in Slaver's Bay to free slaves, but Qarth, Lys, Myr, Tyrosh, Volantis and Pentos ALL depend on slavery. I doubt that Dany will stop at Slaver's Bay. She is called the Breaker of Chains for a reason.

V. Time

Yes, we are on a limited time schedule now, but truth be told, Aegon the Conqueror and his sisters conquered multiple territories simutaneously and I assume Dany, with her army that can potentially number in the millions, to do the same.

Some nations may even join her willingly once they see her might. With a million Dothraki and a Dragon, she can conquer mulitple territories with ease.

Flying by Dragon also can cut down on time.

What do yall think?

The problem remains the same as in Mereen: how to rule it. If she unites the Khalassars she can conquer most of Essos. Many of the Free Cities are even likely to yield without a fight - the exceptions are probably Volantis and Braavos, and Volantis will face a slave revolt soon.

But once she does, how does she rule over such vast and diverse territories? Dany is good at destroying, but she sucks at creating. So she sweeps all over Essos, and the lands she raid turn on her months after her khalassar was last seen. The only alternative is to use dokrathi as occupation troops, and that won't end up well.

She will conquer Essos and be in the West by about mid book. It will be a city/Vaes per chapter for her and Tyrion until the Narrow sea/Pentos.

I agree that they could meet each other in Pentos. That's where they both started their Essos trip. And Dany would be truly going back. Or maybe in Braavos, given the "going home" comment

Nope.

Martin:

And Dany has embraced her heritage as a Targaryen and embraced the Targaryen words.

If Daenerys has embraced her Targaryen heritage, it means she's mostly done with Essos. When Aegon had the choice to forge a Targaryen Freehold in Valyria, or forge a new Kingdom in Westeros, he chose the latter.

[Tyrion and Dany are] both coming home.

Ie: to Westeros. Not Qarth, not Slaver's Bay, not Volantis or Lorath.

Westeros.

Now the coming home part, I feel is metaphorical,

It's not. See how it applies to both Tyrion and Daenerys? How would it make any sense to say that Daenerys and Tyrion are both metaphorically coming home if it means conquering Essos?

This is Martin basically hitting us over the head with the fact she's returning to Westeros.

So no, I cannot see her conquering all the Free Cities, all Slaver's Bay, Qarth, the ruins of Valyria, etc etc.

I highly doubt that Dany is going to conquer more than Valyria did at its height. Qohor, Norvos, Lorath, and Braavos are way to far out of the way. Qarth probably is as well. Slaver's Bay is finished and I think Volantis is either going to be conquered or slave revolted. Pentos is probably going to be involved again but I'm not sure it will be conquered. Tyrosh and Lys are both on islands but I I'll agree that it is possible, but unlikely, for Dany to conquer Lys, Myr, and/or Tyrosh.

I have entertained the possibility of Dany taking over large chuncks of Essos before, but even I never dared to be as optimistic as this.

Imo the battle of fire will be split into two parts. The first part is the one we have already saw pieces off in the released Barristan, Tyrion and Victarion chapters. I believe Team Dany will win that one easily. The real test however, will be the arrival of the Volantinian Navy, which will arrive after the first battle has been won for quite awhile.

I think that battle will be a lot harder and in the end the defenders will only be victorious after Dany swoops in on Drogon with a Khalesar at her back. After that she'll lay waste to Meereen and her march on Westeros will begin. Her Dothraki Khalesar and perhaps other mounted units will travel along the Demon Road and take out the cities (Mantarys, etc.) along their way. Her ships will head for Volantis. On their way those ships will take out Yunkai (no slaverscities will be left), New Ghis (food) and Ellaria (last slaver city left).

Dany's Khalesar will draw out the remaining Volantinian forces and then the fleet will sweep in. She'll execute Tyrion's plan from ADWD (She and Tyrion will mostly be apart here, for one will travel with the Dothraki and the other with the ships) and take Volantis. Volantis will surve as her base of operations to invade the Seven Kingdoms and probably a further gathering point for the Khalesars (She'll be proclaimed the SWMTW in the early stages of tWoW and there is no way all 28 Khalesars are present at the same time).

Parts of her army (mainly Dothraki, since these are the hardest to transport to Westeros) will then be dispatched to pacify the disputed lands (and probably demand the end of slavery in Myr, though I don't think the city is going to be taken) and to install the Tattered Prince as ruler of Pentos (By then Tyrion and perhaps the Tattered Prince as well would have told her about Illyrio's involvement with Faegon). The Windblow and most of her Dothraki will be busy enough with that (I do wonder if she would nominally let Pentos be independent under Tatters or if she would make him Lord of Pentos under her reign).

All in all I believe this is by far the best case scenario. Much more than that she'll never be able to take. This on the other hand is just the right ammount. She has the Fire & Blood thing down perfectly, but she wouldn't have to do much ruling. The cities of Slaversbay (Meereen, Yunkai, Tolos, New Ghis, Mantarys, Ellaria) would be destroyed (Check Fire & Blood, but no need for ruling).

The Khalesars of the Dothraki Sea would follow her out of their own volition and outside of taking orders from Daenerys and abandoning slavery they would mind their own business (check Sea of Dothrak without actively ruling). Volantis would rise for her and the city's main religious leaders, part of the shadowelite (people like Widow by the Waterfront) and the cities military leaders (the Volantinian mareens) would support her. She could very succesfully have that city be ruled by proxy while she is in Westeros.

Her freedmen from her slaversbay campaign (and many freed slaves from the Khalesars and Volantis) could be set up in the Disputed Lands which would be pacified by the Dothraki (and ruled from Volantis). Finally, in Pentos she would install Tatters (either as a ruler in his own right or as a Lord under her banner), a man who still has a lot of friends in the city (and the nobility would surely follow a man who could end the magisters reign), has proven to be capable and has his own troops at his disposal to use as enforcers.

In other words, very big conquest, without being bogged down un ruling it. The only place she really needs to pay attention to is Volantis, but that's it. From Volantis Dany could start her campaign to invade Westeros with a massive army (both of soldiers and of followers).

"Dany is going to conquer most of known Essos"

Who cares?

She would also have no way to hold it all, if she was even able to do it to begin with, which I highly doubt. Dany has shown a great ineptitude in controlling and stabilizing cities after she has over taken them.

Dany is supposed to reach Westeros by TWoW, and I don't see her conquering large parts of Essos if GRRM expects to keep it to seven books. Dany is set on Westeros, and I don't see her wasting resources on a campaign in Essos.

I don't think she will have a million Dothraki. I think 300,000 would be closer to the mark. I see her visiting Valyria, leading a slave revolt in Volantis, and installing the Tattered Prince in Pentos, but that is as far as she will go.

Don't think she's going to care much about ruling them, or even holding them. Fire and blood. She and her forces will kill slavers, take what they want including the armies and leave the slaves in charge. What happens then isn't so much her concern, she's going home.

You kind of had me but you really lost me.

I can totally see her getting back Yunkai and Astapor. She'll probably also have to take Volantis because their still at war and Pentos as per deal with the Tattered Prince. Then before she leaves to Westeros she'll put someone like Daario in charge of the Empire she created.

But no way she is taking "most" of Essos. She doesn't have the means or time to.

There is really no time for Dany to conquer most of known Essos. Do you realize how large Essos is? Have you thought about the various groups of people, factions, tribes and how many ways they could harm Dany etc.? I love Dany, but she could barely deal with her enemies in Slaver's Bay, not to talk of the Free Cities. You're making it sound much simply than it really would be.

Nope.

If Daenerys has embraced her Targaryen heritage, it means she's mostly done with Essos. When Aegon had the choice to forge a Targaryen Freehold in Valyria, or forge a new Kingdom in Westeros, he chose the latter.

Ie: to Westeros. Not Qarth, not Slaver's Bay, not Volantis or Lorath.

Westeros.

It's not. See how it applies to both Tyrion and Daenerys? How would it make any sense to say that Daenerys and Tyrion are both metaphorically coming home if it means conquering Essos?

This is Martin basically hitting us over the head with the fact she's returning to Westeros.

So no, I cannot see her conquering all the Free Cities, all Slaver's Bay, Qarth, the ruins of Valyria, etc etc.

When GRRM said "coming home" I'm pretty sure it was metaphorical of Dany re-embracing her Targaryen heritage and Tyrion wanting to be alive again like how he normally wanted to be alive back in the day.

Archived