Dany is going to conquer most of known Essos

David C. Hunter

Its worth bearing in mind just how ambiguous "home" is to a Targaryen.

The Targaryens are Valyrians who fled to Dragonstone, then conquered Westeros, then fled back to Dragonstone [where Danaerys was born] then fled again to Essos where Dany was brought up in the house with the red door.

Therefore:

Is "home" Valyria where the Targaryens [and their dragons] came from?

or is "home" Westeros, an alien land they conquered, held for 300 years, and then got kicked out of - a land on which Dany has never set foot?

The Targaryens are Valyrians who fled to Dragonstone, then conquered Westeros, then fled back to Dragonstone [where Danaerys was born] then fled again to Essos where Dany was brought up in the house with the red door.

Therefore:

or is "home" Westeros, an alien land they conquered, held for 300 years, and then got kicked out of - a land on which Dany has never set foot?

I bet my ass Martin meant Braavos.

What gave you the idea Dany is a good ruler? She is a conqueror, no more, no less.

Then what was the whole damn point of book 5 if she didn't learn anything? She saw how useless conquering is if she isn't going to back it up. If she goes and burns a bunch of shit only to leave, what's the point? Even less so if she goes to Westeros and does the same thing. I think people are misinterpreting what he said to mean that she's going to go on a rampage, but that's not necessarily what he means by saying she embraces her heritage. No one would think that if he said the same thing of Jon.

Then what was the whole damn point of book 5 if she didn't learn anything? She saw how useless conquering is if she isn't going to back it up. If she goes and burns a bunch of shit only to leave, what's the point? Even less so if she goes to Westeros and does the same thing. I think people are misinterpreting what he said to mean that she's going to go on a rampage, but that's not necessarily what he means by saying she embraces her heritage. No one would think that if he said the same thing of Jon.

I think your conflating your desires with what would make or not make sense in a narrative.

I think that she learned she has to enforce her rules. She needs to burn one city to show she is willing if they repeatedly disobey. That city would be Yunkai. When it is completely destroyed, the other cities will have the changpce to rethink rebelling against the queen with the dragons. Then all she needs to do is demand they give up slavery, and burn cities that repeat offend, leaving how they actually choose to rule themselves for them to decide.

The point was her realising that ruling 'fairly' wasn't working for her, so instead, she'll stop 'planting trees' and burn them instead. Basically, you have it backwards. She saw the futility of trying to rule and endeavors to conquer instead.

I think your conflating your desires with what would make or not make sense in a narrative.

What desires are those, exactly? I'm not even sure myself. I just don't see what the point would be if she just decides to burn a lot of shit down simply because she can. She did that already, sacking here and there, and then realized it means nothing if she can't back it up and replace what she destroyed. Now people are saying she's going to do the same thing again. What's the point in that? Seriously?

The point was her realising that ruling 'fairly' wasn't working for her, so instead, she'll stop 'planting trees' and burn them instead. Basically, you have it backwards. She saw the futility of trying to rule and endeavors to conquer instead.

Conquering means nothing if you can't enforce it. And the only reason ruling fairly didn't work for her was because she came in and destroyed everything without any plan on how to fix it afterwards. So, better plan...destroy everything again! I'm sure it'll work better the second time around.

What desires are those, exactly? I'm not even sure myself. I just don't see what the point would be if she just decides to burn a lot of shit down simply because she can. She did that already, sacking here and there, and then realized it means nothing if she can't back it up and replace what she destroyed. Now people are saying she's going to do the same thing again. What's the point in that? Seriously?

i agree it doesnt mean she has dragon and she can burn and sack everything ....Aegon burned the Harrenhall which is impregnable ..other lords who feared the dragons just bend their knee to Aegon like Starks and arryns

in the TPTQ there is a good line where the queen tells that the fact that they have dragons means they cant go and burn everysingle one of them

i agree it doesnt mean she has dragon and she can burn and sack everything ....Aegon burned the Harrenhall which is impregnable ..other lords who feared the dragons just bend their knee to Aegon like Starks and arryns

in the TPTQ there is a good line where the queen tells that the fact that they have dragons means they cant go and burn everysingle one of them

I think people are also forgetting that she's not the ONLY one who will ride a dragon. She may have Drogon, but she can't control the other dragons. Those dragon riders may not agree with that type of strategy.

Why? Why would she go to Westeros and indiscriminately burn shit? It makes no sense.

It makes no sense if she is burning everything indiscriminatley. I agree. I don't think she is going to do that. I don't think she is going to start burning everything just because she can.

1. I didnt mean she would just burn EVERYTHING. I was just being vague. Specifically, she will burn anyone who reissts her. So more or less, everyone lol. Thats a joke. But many people in Westeros will view her as an invading army. They will defend, and she will burn them. Afterwards, yes she will get those who bend the knee, but many will die before that. Most being those smallfolks, shes so crazy about helping.

2. Personally I thought she digressed as a ruler in Book 5 and to me she came to the conclusion that she isnt a good ruler and thus will embrace what she is, a conqueror. Not a ruler.

He also burned the entire Lannister and Gardner armies as well. Theres a nickname for that battle. And Im sure there were many more battles. They wouldve burned Dorne, but couldnt beat them lol

1. I didnt mean she would just burn EVERYTHING. I was just being vague. Specifically, she will burn anyone who reissts her. So more or less, everyone lol. Thats a joke. But many people in Westeros will view her as an invading army. They will defend, and she will burn them. Afterwards, yes she will get those who bend the knee, but many will die before that. Most being those smallfolks, shes so crazy about helping.

2. Personally I thought she digressed as a ruler in Book 5 and to me she came to the conclusion that she isnt a good ruler and thus will embrace what she is, a conqueror. Not a ruler.

I agree that she's not a good ruler. But her conquering skills have a better use up North, where her skills are needed for the real enemy (yes, I know she doesn't know about it yet, but she will). But conquering only makes a difference when there's an endgame...the Romans conquered to add to their empire, they didn't just conquer and leave.

Therefore:

Did he differentiate between Dany and Tyrion yes or no? Or did he say they are both coming home? It's really not all that complex. This is not the book it's an interview, people on this forum will do anything to try to twist what the guy says to create the fantasy of what they want.

So now she is after the small folk and yesterday it was she is going to kill all the babies. Do you just make this stuff up as you go along? And you know everyone who is going to resist her as well?

Have you taken an actual look at Westeros? They have already been killing all the small folks, they have already burnt the river lands, they have already had their red and purple weddings, they already slaughtered the free folk, they already have been invaded, they have been murdering, raping, pillaging, waring, and burning (did you miss the black water?) for 5 books. Dany's a bad leader? Aerys created more peace than the idiots running Westeros now have and he was crazy. At least Dany has done some good, she has been freeing slaves. What happened to the Free Folk? Slaughtered, broken, and forced into subjugation, free no more.

Do you actually think there is much left to break? Oh and the Others are coming, I am sure the fire Queen has nothing to do with dealing with them. It's not like they are polarities, it's not like Martin has been saying the Dragons and the Others are coming for like 20 years. Notice how they have both stayed away, but now we are getting towards the end of the series and all of sudden winter has come to Westeros and Martin says Dany is coming home. It's not like she has had visions of fighting them or anything.

But no she is going after the babies and the small folk in your mind. Wow just wow. If she is not getting to Westeros till the end of the book, which is likely to be about a year in book, then how many small folk do you think will be left? Fighting at the wall, Fighting at Winterfell, Aegon is waring in the Storm Lands, Riverlands are toast, the homeless small folk are running to any place they can already, the Faith is rising, the Tyrells are war profiteering, Euron is getting ready to attack Old town, nobody who isn''t rich can afford food, and I haven't even started with LF or LSH. Seriously you are concerned about Dany in Westeros? At no point and time has any place she been, looked nearly as bad as Westeros. Buy the time she gets there you will be lucky if anyone is left alive.

You ever wonder why D&D who know the overall story of Martins series gave Dany a vision of Westeros as an arctic waste land back in season 2? Winter has already come and she is not going to be there for awhile, do the math. If they are short on food now, and all these homes have been destroyed and burned already, and all these people have no place to go and are sleeping on the streets in the major cities, how long do you think they last against the cold? You really want to try and make Dany the focus of problems in Westeros? Pretty sure Westeros is it's own worst problem.

There will be more than 2 more books.

Nope, there won't. I see some chance of Martin closing the series within two more books, but no way is going to finish more than two. "Feast" took him five years, "Dance" - six. I expect him to say at some point "fuck it, it's not worth the effort and it's no fun anymore, and besides I never wanted to write anyway, I wanted to be... a lumberjack!". He will finish the story in seven books or else just abandon it.

Archived