Videogames: Your Absurd Character Demands Cannot Be Met

Sivin

A new thread is needed...

Finally finished Far Cry 3 after putting 19 hours into it over the past week. A really amazing game. I don't think I've ever been as consistently impressed by a game during my whole playthrough since Mass Effect 2 (and that's my favourite game ever). I was almost giddy with amusement and excitement when Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries played when you're wrecking shit with a machine gun from a helicopter. As you can probably tell from my signature, I love Apocalypse Now, so seeing such a direct homage was awesome.

Overall, really loved the game. I'd even say it's my favourite FPS ever, honestly. I'll probably play Blood Dragon next for a bit more lighter entertainment.

I wouldn't do that. I am regretting my decision to try out 5760x1080. The only game I really enjoyed at that resolution was Tomb Raider, the rest of them I just switched back to 1920x1080. I should have saved my pennies for a 4k monitor. Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous will hopefully make me change my mind.

Pardon my noobishness when it comes to PC gaming... so you guys are discussing having three monitors in front of you with presumably the main character in the center screen and then peripheral action on the sides?

Pardon my noobishness when it comes to PC gaming... so you guys are discussing having three monitors in front of you with presumably the main character in the center screen and then peripheral action on the sides?

Yep. For third person games anyway. For racing games which is what most people use them for you'd be looking out the windshield on your main monitor and have the side Windows on the other two most likely.

Yep. For third person games anyway. For racing games which is what most people use them for you'd be looking out the windshield on your main monitor and have the side Windows on the other two most likely.

Interesting. Probably more of an investment than I would ever need, but really cool. I suppose it just takes a high end video card to make that happen?

ETA: Also thought I'd give an update on my "Noobtastic Not All That Late Mass Effect 3 Playthrough." I'm not all that far in. Just helped Wrex out by rescuing Eve. I've done the From Ashes DLC and the side mission with Jack and the biotec academy. I really liked that one. Also enjoyed the bit of dialogue from her where she asked if I was just there to throw her up against the lower decks bulkhead again. :lol: I didn't romance her in ME2, but I did go for the hit it and quit it option. Felt a little awkward since I had Liara with me and I was presumably working on repairing that relationship... but then I bumped into Miranda, and who can resist that rear end?????

So anyways, I'm enjoying the gameplay quite a bit. I know I'm early in the game, but I can also completely understand some of the complaints I've seen that say the game isn't as "open" as the typical BioWare hub structure.

Have not ventured back into multiplayer action since that embarrassing episode where I ruined the game for some higher leveled peeps. :blushing:

Interesting. Probably more of an investment than I would ever need, but really cool. I suppose it just takes a high end video card to make that happen?

Reasonably high end, yeah since you'll be running the game at a fairly huge resolution.

If the Oculas Rift turns out to be awesome it might make multimonitor gaming obsolete though. Since you'll only need one device to achieve a similar effect.

Picked up Blue Estate for the weekend, a Pulp style rail shooter. The story didn't make much sense, but the gameplay is fun except for a few minor annoyances (like constantly having to re-center the reticle). I enjoyed the motion control and actually getting using the PS4's touch pad. Got through the whole thing in about 3 hours, but I'll replay it a few times at least, so I'm satisfied for $16.

I got back into battlefield 4 this weekend. After abandoning it for a while I came back and man, it feels fucking awesome now. Im not sure what exactly they changed but it feels soooooo much better. Apparently even more changes are on the way from something called "cte" not sure what that is but its all the rage.

Anyway it was fun, and I was doing surprisingly well, I took out that scar h and I was fucking dudes up. My current goal is to unlock the compact .45, the next dlc has the deagle in it and I want that so bad. I can juan deag some clowns.

I will probably invest in premium, it will be cheaper then buying all the dlc on their own, and it gets other perks too.

Out of morbid curiosity, I decided to download Star Wars: The Old Republic again just to see what the state of the game was. Apparently, they have had yet another server contraction. At some point or another, my characters got migrated to another server. (That's the second time this has happened.) I even lost my Darth Anasurimbor name for my Sith Sorceror! Honestly, how many Bakker fans could possibly be out there playing this game????

I even lost my Darth Anasurimbor name for my Sith Sorceror! Honestly, how many Bakker fans could possibly be out there playing this game????

It wasn't me I swear. :lol: Fucking boss name though, shame you lost it!

I still have the game installed and play it on rare occasions, usually when drunk and bored.

ETA: Steam & GoG sales are over and it's a good thing. My wallet was not prepared! I haven't had time to play around with everything I bought yet (in fact, I'm not sure that would be humanly possible) but I got rather a lot of enjoyment this weekend out of Metro: Last Light, Saints Row IV and Alice: Madness Returns.

Installed but not yet played games include Bioshock Infinite, Tomb Raider, Far Cry 3 and X-Com, among others...

Installed but not yet played games include Bioshock Infinite, Tomb Raider, Far Cry 3 and X-Com, among others...

Those were really my favorites games last year.

I just picked up Enslaved, Dishonored, and Infamous for a grand total of $17 at my local game store, Digital Press. It's seriously my favorite store. You can pretty much get any game or console you want over there. They even sell custom games like the original Mother for NES or Secret of Mana 2 for SNES (both English!) there.

Anyway, I enjoyed Enslaved. I found it to be a mix between Assassin's Creed and God of War. They graphics are waayyy dated, but okay I suppose.

I was a little disappointed with Dishonored. I'm still playing it, but I feel like there should have been more meat to it. It's pretty much a straightforward game.

I haven't touched Infamous yet, but a co-worker yelled at me for owning a PS3, and never playing it. It was only like $5 after all.

I wish we still had local video game stores here, Gamestop put them all out of business.

Infamous is awesome, but those graphics will probably look even more dated than Enslaved haha. The second one is even better IMO and Second Son was fantastic also.

Those were really my favorites games last year.

I just picked up Enslaved, Dishonored, and Infamous for a grand total of $17 at my local game store, Digital Press. It's seriously my favorite store. You can pretty much get any game or console you want over there. They even sell custom games like the original Mother for NES or Secret of Mana 2 for SNES (both English!) there.

Anyway, I enjoyed Enslaved. I found it to be a mix between Assassin's Creed and God of War. They graphics are waayyy dated, but okay I suppose.

I was a little disappointed with Dishonored. I'm still playing it, but I feel like there should have been more meat to it. It's pretty much a straightforward game.

I haven't touched Infamous yet, but a co-worker yelled at me for owning a PS3, and never playing it. It was only like $5 after all.

I thought that about Dishonored at first. When you go back and replay it on different ways you get more out of it.

Beyond DS2, I've started, slowly, continuing my replay of Fallout New Vegas. I'd put it aside for a while, but then I was out in Colorado a few weeks ago; and even though that's still several hundred miles from where the game takes place, seeing things like the source of the Colorado River just gave me a hankering to start playing again. I've very nearly done everything there is in the base game before having nothing left to do but pick a faction and proceed to the endgame (just need to finish Still in the Dark, I Could Make You Care, and whatever there is at Black Mountain- a place I've never been any time I've played the game; there may also be a couple scattered quests that I haven't found, but nothing major), so I'm pretty close to trying out the DLC.

I've also decided that I will be getting a gaming PC, I just need to wait until the end of July to make the finances work out. Wildstar looks too good, and I need to play the new Civilization when it comes out, plus there's all the other games for it. Of course, it is annoying that it looks like there's still going to be a bunch of console exclusives as well. There's no way I'm getting both an Xbone and PS4, but it seems like I'll still need to get one of them at some point as well.

I've been struggling to keep going in The Stick of Truth. I was really enjoying it until the first night mission. It was amusing enough, but really tedious to play through. Anyway, a question for those who've played it:

So I'm at the 'Recruit the Goths' mission, and just spoke with Kyle who told me I'm on the wrong team and then unlocked a bunch of companions. Do I have a choice on which side to play for, or am I being forced to change teams?

If there is a choice, is there any advantage of one team over the other?

I thought that about Dishonored at first. When you go back and replay it on different ways you get more out of it.

I'm made it through the 3rd mission giving up on it. Stealth games just should not be in 1st person. Guess I'll have to keep waiting until someone realizes that a new Tenchu is a good idea.

I'm made it through the 3rd mission giving up on it. Stealth games just should not be in 1st person.

Except that the Thief and Deus Ex games were 1st person and were just great.

Dishonored is fine, and tends to offer a quite satisfying range of options, most of the time. Worth replaying using a very different kind of tactics/gameplay - for instance playing it totally stealthy, or with 0 deaths, or like a total berserker like it were Quake or Duke Nukem.

That said, the plot is a bit more straightforward than I expected when I was in the middle of it; I was close to bet there would be one more twist in the last chapters.

I'm made it through the 3rd mission giving up on it. Stealth games just should not be in 1st person. Guess I'll have to keep waiting until someone realizes that a new Tenchu is a good idea.

:box: The hell you say! Thief remains one of my favorite gaming experiences to date. You just need a good sound engine and decent shadows. Dishonored is pretty good too I guess.

In Mass Effect 3, is there a preferred time to play the Omega or Leviathan DLC?

I've been struggling to keep going in The Stick of Truth. I was really enjoying it until the first night mission. It was amusing enough, but really tedious to play through. Anyway, a question for those who've played it:

So I'm at the 'Recruit the Goths' mission, and just spoke with Kyle who told me I'm on the wrong team and then unlocked a bunch of companions. Do I have a choice on which side to play for, or am I being forced to change teams?

If there is a choice, is there any advantage of one team over the other?

There are minor changes in the middle of the game, but the end will be the same.

I never played Omega, so I can't say for sure. Before heading to Rannoch seems like a good time though, since there's a bit of a lull in the main plot there.

Leviathan is a bit different from the other DLCs. Its actually a series of shorter missions rather than one long one, and in between each one you end up back on your ship in the main game. So you can play it all at once, or spread it out over a great deal of the game. I usually start it around when it first becomes available, and finish the last mission before heading to Thessia.

I would make sure to have all DLC, except the Citadel, done before Thessia though. After that, the plot is just too urgent for it to make any sense off doing stuff. As for the Citadel DLC, wait until you beat the game, then play it. Technically you're back right before the point of no return rather than a post-game state, but if you ignore literally just the first and last minute of the DLC its an epilogue.

Never played Leviathan, but Omega is pretty disconnected from the main plot. Anytime it feels like there's a bit of a lull would be okay. After Tuchanka/Citadel II would be a good time, I recon. You might have to do Aria's Citadel quest first, and if it's not mandatory you should do it anyway. Would feel a bit weird to do it afterwards (it just involves walking around and talking to a bunch of people, essentially).

Never played Leviathan, but Omega is pretty disconnected from the main plot. Anytime it feels like there's a bit of a lull would be okay. After Tuchanka/Citadel II would be a good time, I recon. You might have to do Aria's Citadel quest first, and if it's not mandatory you should do it anyway. Would feel a bit weird to do it afterwards (it just involves walking around and talking to a bunch of people, essentially).

Yeah you have to do her Citadel quest before the Omega quest becomes available.

Archived