More homosexuality in the series

TheWitch

GRRM is already in the hot seat for all of the sex he wrote being brought to light for all to see. All of it, gay, straight, hell Areo Hotah is married to his long axe, please, do not have him shove that handle somewhere! Fear not though, more sex, including gay is sure to come.

I do find it a little odd that we have explicit incest between Jaime & Cersei, but the Renly & Loras relationship was kept rather implicit.

Its because Loras and Renly aren't POVs, and the POV characters we do have dont interact with them.very much.

Also, their relationship isn't hugely inportant to the rest of the series, unlike.the incest

You're all still here! I'm glad to see the debate has come to be somewhat rational since I started it and get a shit storm for it aha. I used the word homosexual as it incorporates lesbian and gay. I don't find the word offensive at all, if you do then sorry, but to me that's not an offensive term for being gay.

Right? we should've had an episode dedicated to them called The Snake in the Garden.

Ahem.

I bring to you yet another tragic love from the wartorn Seven Kingdoms.

This is a tale of a passion that bowed before circumstance, affection that bowed before duty and love that never burnt at all.

Willas Tyrell is, by all accounts, a gentle soul, interested in books and learning and breeding. Intelligent and clever, one can imagine him feeling the odd one out at home-none of the other Tyrell men were like him. Garlan is bluff and honest, Mace kind but dull and Loras too young and fostered away.

Then he meets Oberyn Martell-the hard, clever, Oberyn as different from the usual fare of Highgarden as the viper is from the rose. Who can say what passions the Dornishman's wicked black eyes excited in Willas' breast?

I can only present the facts for let it never be said that my theories are groundless-occasionally far-fetched, sometimes strange but never groundless. And the facts are as follows:

• Oberyn's bisexuality.
  • Willas' lack of anger in regards to his injury.
  • Their amiable relationship.
  • Willas' is first born and single.

On their own, they mean nothing, but considered together, it is not too far-fetched too suggest that the injury and subsequent tension 'twixt the Houses forced the two asunder? We know that Oberyn would not care but Willas may not have wished to go against his father's wishes.

I've understood that is is a discussion. Firstly I think it is a joke but some users there seem to be serious. How can it be?

Well, Dany who is of a similar age had a girl experience and I doubt anyone thought that could happen before they read it. At the very least we can't say for certain he wouldn't but as much as I find the theory amusing I don't think GRRM would give us any scene like that... but goddamn, it would be hilarious.

I don't think homosexuality is quite as stigmatized as you seem to think it is in Westeros. We don't have any examples of violence against gay people, do we? Laenor Valeryon was gay and nobody seemed to have a problem with the idea that he would become king consort. Thousands of people flocked to Reny's cause even though by rights Stannis was ahead of him. Daemon II Blackfyre's supporters also didn't seem to mind the idea of installing a homosexual king.

In the case of Renly, most of the people who followed him probably didn't know he was gay. The close circle around the royal family in KL knew. However, Ned did not know--when Renly showed him Margaery's picture, Ned thought this was a girl that Renly liked. it's not clear whether or not Renly's followers would have cared.

However, we do have some evidence that people are expected to play the standard roles of their gender (Brienne being harrassed and threatened with rape because she wants to be a knight, Danny Flint's gang rape and murder for disguising herself as a boy in the NW, and the treatment of the hermaphroditic slave in Essos). This suggests that being openly gay may have generated an intolerant reaction, but it is not explicitly stated anywhere, I think.

In the case of Renly, most of the people who followed him probably didn't know he was gay. The close circle around the royal family in KL knew. However, Ned did not know--when Renly showed him Margaery's picture, Ned thought this was a girl that Renly liked. it's not clear whether or not Renly's followers would have cared.

However, we do have some evidence that people are expected to play the standard roles of their gender (Brienne being harrassed and threatened with rape because she wants to be a knight, Danny Flint's gang rape and murder for disguising herself as a boy in the NW, and the treatment of the hermaphroditic slave in Essos). This suggests that being openly gay may have generated an intolerant reaction, but it is not explicitly stated anywhere, I think.

Yeah. I get that it's seen as a negative, I just don't recall any instances of actual violence towards homosexuals for that reason. It's not like Westeros is Uganda or Russia in that regard.

Is Renly actually gay in the books? I know he doesn't bed Margaery but he is quite busy planning a war during their short marriage and the only actual reference to him and Loras I can remember was when Jaime tells Loras that he'll stick his sword somewhere even Renly never managed to find. If Jon and Satin had a romantic encounter it would probably ruin the books for me, Jon and Tormund on the other hand... Just Imagine;

Tormund: "Har, what are ya doin to me member?"

Jon: "I just want to kiss you there is all"

Tormund: "And here I was thinking you'd never be a kneeler again. Har."

Is Renly actually gay in the books? I know he doesn't bed Margaery but he is quite busy planning a war during their short marriage and the only actual reference to him and Loras I can remember was when Jaime tells Loras that he'll stick his sword somewhere even Renly never managed to find. If Jon and Satin had a romantic encounter it would probably ruin the books for me, Jon and Tormund on the other hand... Just Imagine;

Tormund: "Har, what are ya doin to me member?"

Jon: "I just want to kiss you there is all"

Tormund: "And here I was thinking you'd never be a kneeler again. Har."

He was, definitely.

well I really don't have the time to read all the pages of this thread but i remember one GRRM interview 2 years ago where he talked about some people giving him shit cos he writes explicit sex scenes, so sorry if that has been mentioned before

paraphrasing: -"Apparently it's ok to show an ax entering the skull but if you describe penis entering a vagina you'll get dozen of angry letters."

"Sex is enjoyable or at least it should be that way for everyone." -

Then he proceeded to saying that some people wrote him and asked whether he will write some gay sex scene, he responded that he will try to incorporate it in next book or maybe even jokingly said he will need to do some research first, I don't really remember but I'm sure that i listened to that interview.

And yeah, Old Griff's melancholy is favorite lgbt moment in series, after Dany's one night stand with her handmaid that climaxed with dragon or her making a scream, the best sex scene IMO.

off topic but I also love goofiness of "I'm your queen and i command you to fuck me." scene

Archived