Victarion most evil character?

Storm Knight

I agree that Victarion is closer to the bad side than the good side, but he still pales in comparison to many characters. This includes, but isn't limited to, Ramsay, Gregor, Qyburn, Vargo Hoat, Euron, Cersei, and Craster. I don't agree with most of what he does in the least, but he's second-class evil at best.

I did think Victarion's actions as of late have been pretty evil, but also, it's a bit more than that. His actions lie more along the lines of misguided religious interpretations. He is continuously mentioning how he wished Damphair was with him so he could get help in understanding things, and when he has the maester killed and the ship with the girl burned, he uses religion as his reasoning, but perhaps the underlying basis would be that he's uses that as a cover for his own evil tendencies.

Agreed. He's a devout Drownee, and now he's trying to please the god of fire as well. He's not really "evil" in my opinion, because his acts are not malicious or sadist. They seem more utilitarian. That is definitely disturbing, but he's not sailing his own course; it seems more reactive.

Victarion has standards, as far-fetched as it sounds to some. When Euron was humiliating the Lord, wife and daughters of a castle he took, Victarion was all "dude, that's so wrong...".

A man's gotta have a code.

There's a lot worse people than Victarion in ASoIaF.

Vic isn't by any means my favorite and I'd be very okay if he was eaten by a dragon...but I think Ramsey, the Mountain, and Euron are worse. Maybe it's because we're allowed inside his head--but we don't have POV for the other big baddies.

Vic engages in human sacrifice, by fire, but so does Mel. If he is evil then Mel and Stannis are evil.

He also drowns a shipload of boy catamites, because he can't stand their smell.

When self-righteous cruelty is concerned, I think Victarion is way below Stannis and around the same level with Dany.

He only knows a single way to solve his problems; his axe. In that sense, he is no different than Barristan.

He's overly sensitive about everything and hides it behind his brutality and strength. Add to that the Ironborn culture in which any sign of weakness can lead to mutiny and death, growing up with shitheads like Euron and Balon, and his severe lack of intelligence.

He is reverse Tyrion. His physical strength is his only weapon and thus he uses it excessively and quite often prematurely.

So no, he's far from the most evil character. He's not even the most evil Greyjoy.

Gregor is a pure evil, ignorant brute who killed children without a second thought. The #1 evil and sociopath award goes to Gregor Clegane.

I'd say Ramsay outdoes even the Mountain. He hunts innocent girls for fun, rapes them, and flays them alive if they don't give him good sport. Even Gregor doesn't torture peasants purely for his amusement. And no matter what Theon may have deserved, Ramsay's treatment of Reek is beyond anything else I can think of in the novels. Not that Gregor has any more mercy in him at all, but he's more indifferent to the suffering of others than actually turned on by it like Ramsay is.

Gregor Clegane, Vargo Hoat, and Amory Lorch are all about tied for #2 as far as I'm concerned. The main difference is in their competence, which is in the order listed.

Maybe not the most evil one, but he's definitely evil. Just because there are other people who are worse than him, it doesn't mean he is all good.

He burned 7 women as an offering to R'hllor and the Drowned God because they were beautiful. He enjoyed their screams. (Zealot)

He beated and killed his wife while she was pregnant, "fed her to the crabs". (Abusive, murderer and misogynist)

He chained and threw perfumed slave boys, because they were "abominations". (Homophobic)

He burned Maester Kerwin as an offering to R'hllor because he was "poisoning" his hand while he had no evidence and it was most likely the dusky woman who poisoned his hand. (Dumb)

I really don't understand how can you guys like him? I can't stand him, I hope he dies as soon as possible in a painful way.

When self-righteous cruelty is concerned, I think Victarion is way below Stannis and around the same level with Dany.

He only knows a single way to solve his problems; his axe. In that sense, he is no different than Barristan.

Oh, and Gregor or Ramsay are no different than Barristan, because you know, they only know a single way to solve their problems; their sword or knife.

Stannis is a righteous man who unlike Vic wouldn't try to murder those who have slighted him. During their march on Winterfell Stannis protests and disallows against offering unbelievers to the flame while his southron knights insist it. Even while those Cannibals are being burned alive Stannis seems indifferent and disconnected from the whole thing.

Victarion is definitely the most evil POV character in the series. He does tend to rationalize his evil acts but we rarely see him show any remorse and empathy towards those he kills.

Archived