What happens next with Theon?

Ser Jonny Loker

Theon needs to clear his conscience and announce that Bran and Rickon are alive, he failed and to cover up his embaracement he found two innocent kids, killed them, tared and burned them to pass them off as them. Then, he may mercifully die.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone read Tad Williams' Stone of Farewell and the chapter of their Battle of the Ice?

During that battle a 'turncloak' sacrifices himself to lead the enemy across a frozen lake, which was boobytrapped. The ice is cracked and everyone drowns.GRRM was influenced by this series and it seems like a perfect redemption arc for Reek to lead Ramsey and possibly Roose to a watery grave and Theon can meet the Drowned God as the Ironborn should do.

The lamest "redemption" ever. And saving Jeyne, risking being flayed to death, already was his redemption.

Can Theon really take credit for saving Jeyne? It was the spearwifes' idea and he just played his part.

And from the WoW released chapter

we learn that he landed on top of Jeyne and broke her ribs, and then straight away got picked up by Umber's men..so his role was pretty minor

Can Theon really take credit for saving Jeyne? It was the spearwifes' idea and he just played his part.

And from the WoW released chapter

we learn that he landed on top of Jeyne and broke her ribs, and then straight away got picked up by Umber's men..so his role was pretty minor

he wanted to save jeyne from the very beginning! he just didn't know how because "he couldn't even help himself" he basically thinks about it all throughout adwd dragons. it was the spearwives idea yeah but he was the one who took care of her, held her hand, jumped down with her before they got caught! and the spearwives couldn't have done it without theon to begin with cause they wouldn't know how to get outside the winterfell walls. there's also the fact that Theon didn't even do it for himself (as he himself realises at some point, there is nothing for him to go back to and the closest he has to a home is actually winterfell itself, if he escape he's got nowhere to go anyways), he did it for Jeyne, he tried to get as much of his courage back to defy ramsay in order to save her! (in a way she also saved him, without her there he wouldn't have had a reason to get back to himself) before Jeyne showed up, Theon had given up. if you don't believe me, read my analysis : http://incblackbird....agons-arc-theon

him landing on top of her was not his fault, he did not intend to do that. and he carried her through the snow, in the poor state he was in

Has anyone read Tad Williams' Stone of Farewell and the chapter of their Battle of the Ice?

During that battle a 'turncloak' sacrifices himself to lead the enemy across a frozen lake, which was boobytrapped. The ice is cracked and everyone drowns.GRRM was influenced by this series and it seems like a perfect redemption arc for Reek to lead Ramsey and possibly Roose to a watery grave and Theon can meet the Drowned God as the Ironborn should do.

You mean memory, sorrow and thorn? Yeah, that's a nice idea. And on my first read I was shocked with Seoman's heritage and the real story of who had slain the dragon.

@ Damp Hair: The generalization of how people having been in an identity crisis or captive relationship would sympathize with him is BS imo. I've been through some rough times in my past both on personal development as well as relations. It doesn't make me like Theon all that much. He's interesting, I understand how he lies to himself, and I seriously pity him for what Ramsay has done to him. And he's superbly written. But I don't like Theon, and I certainly don't identify with him, nor do I hate him, nor think he's an evil guy inside. But he has done evil things, and I don't like how he pushes the blame for it away. Not everybody who goes through an identity crisis (or feels an outcast or experienced abuse) acts haughty, blames others, etc. Some do, some don't. And then some others believe they are better than others and blame victims without ever having an ID crisis, or ever having experienced abuse. Everybody receives his or her load of crap to carry in life, and everybody deals with it differently, because of who they are (flaws as well as strengths).

You mean memory, sorrow and thorn? Yeah, that's a nice idea. And on my first read I was shocked with Seoman's heritage and the real story of who had slain the dragon.

@ Damp Hair: The generalization of how people having been in an identity crisis or captive relationship would sympathize with him is BS imo. I've been through some rough times in my past both on personal development as well as relations. It doesn't make me like Theon all that much. He's interesting, I understand how he lies to himself, and I seriously pity him for what Ramsay has done to him. And he's superbly written. But I don't like Theon, and I certainly don't identify with him, nor do I hate him, nor think he's an evil guy inside. But he has done evil things, and I don't like how he pushes the blame for it away. Not everybody who goes through an identity crisis (or feels an outcast or experienced abuse) acts haughty, blames others, etc. Some do, some don't. And then some others believe they are better than others and blame victims without ever having an ID crisis, or ever having experienced abuse. Everybody receives his or her load of crap to carry in life, and everybody deals with it differently, because of who they are (flaws as well as strengths).

How does Theon push blame away for all he has done? He might complain inside his head that he had been left little choice, but I don't remember him ever blaming anyone, except perhaps Ramsay. And that was for a deed that Ramsay committed, under Theons order.

How does Theon push blame away for all he has done? He might complain inside his head that he had been left little choice, but I don't remember him ever blaming anyone, except perhaps Ramsay. And that was for a deed that Ramsay committed, under Theons order.

Almost every person killed at Winterfell while he's there and thinks of them: they got it commin' for protesting in his mind.

Almost every person killed at Winterfell while he's there and thinks of them: they got it commin' for protesting in his mind.

you know that the only reason people do that is because they feel guilty right ? would it be better if he didn't think about it at all and just did it without apparently feeling anything? cause you know, that would mean he didn't feel guilty. when you feel guilty and it feels fucking horrible you try everything to make that horrible feeling go away, like pushing it on other people in your head, but it generally doesn't work, and I don't think it worked with theon either. otherwise he wouldn't have been such a mess throughout the entire time in winterfell!

you know that the only reason people do that is because they feel guilty right ? would it be better if he didn't think about it at all and just did it without apparently feeling anything? cause you know, that would mean he didn't feel guilty. when you feel guilty and it feels fucking horrible you try everything to make that horrible feeling go away, like pushing it on other people in your head, but it generally doesn't work, and I don't think it worked with theon either. otherwise he wouldn't have been such a mess throughout the entire time in winterfell!

In Theon's case, yes he blames the victims because he feels guilty and is too cowardly and weak to admit it. However, not everyone who blames others, do it out of guilt, because the truly believe others deserve to be victimized for being "weak" in their mind. Irregardless it's the coward's mind.

In Theon's case, yes he blames the victims because he feels guilty and is too cowardly and weak to admit it. However, not everyone who blames others, do it out of guilt, because the truly believe others deserve to be victimized for being "weak" in their mind. Irregardless it's the coward's mind.

woa... cowardly and weak, really ? so you're telling me that you have never done that ? when you feel guilty you're so upstanding that you're just like "you know what, i'm a horrible person, why don't I just let the guilt destroy me completely..." you're above that right? and in theon's case it's about killing people... you know, I did the exact same thing when I felt guilty for something really stupid! I even do it when I feel guilty about something that's not actually my fault or something that I didn't do on purpose, so I'm a coward too i guess ?

the second case exists sure, but that's completely different from Theon. the people who do that are arrogant, dumb, black and white people...

woa... cowardly and weak, really ? so you're telling me that you have never done that ? when you feel guilty you're so upstanding that you're just like "you know what, i'm a horrible person, why don't I just let the guilt destroy me completely..." you're above that right? and in theon's case it's about killing people... you know, I did the exact same thing when I felt guilty for something really stupid! I even do it when I feel guilty about something that's not actually my fault or something that I didn't do on purpose, so I'm a coward too i guess ?

the second case exists sure, but that's completely different from Theon. the people who do that are arrogant, dumb, black and white people...

Actually, one of the first automatic things I do is seek my personal responsibilities in conflict. I'm by nature a self-blamer even when I'm not to blame. I needed to learn to get a proper perspective on what wasn't my responsibility at all. Guilt doesn't destroy you when you admit to it. It helps you to do better next time. That's why we have guilt: to learn.

Actually, one of the first automatic things I do is seek my personal responsibilities in conflict. I'm by nature a self-blamer even when I'm not to blame. I needed to learn to get a proper perspective on what wasn't my responsibility at all. Guilt doesn't destroy you when you admit to it. It helps you to do better next time. That's why we have guilt: to learn.

guilt is a natural punishment and it hurts very much and maybe it'll teach us to do better yes because we were in pain. but trying to get rid of it by blaming others in your head (or in general telling yourself it's not your fault) will not change that, cause the whole reason we do that is because it hurts t oo much to deal with, we still feel it and we still learn from it. it's just a way of dealing with said guilt, it doesn't make one cowardly or weak.

Archived