Post a random ASOIAF passage

Here's how this is going to work:

You will open up one of your ASOIAF books to a random page and then post a passage from said page. Cite the book and page number and. You will then post a book from the series that the next poster has to randomly open. I'll start of course:

Septon Cellador pursed his lips. "Salvation can be found only though the seven. This witch has doomed them all."

"An saved the Wall, mayhaps," said Bowen Marsh. "These are enemies we speak of. Let them pray amongst the ruins, and if their gods send ships to carry them off to a better world, well and good. In this world, I have no food to feed them." ( A Dance with Dragons hardback p.522)

The poster below gets A Storm of Swords.

"Moja prebava je izvrstna, tisti kozel ni gospod in bolj kot vaše suhe slive me zanimajo vaše namere." Vihra mečev, hardback, MK, 515

What a passage. :stillsick: :ack:

Next: A Game of Thrones

It was queer, but he felt no grief. Where are my tears? Where is my rage? Jaime Lannister had never lacked for rage. “Father,” he told the corpse, “it was you who told me that tears were a mark of weakness in a man, so you cannot expect that I should cry for you.” (p.95)

Next: A Clash of Kings

Theon bristled. "Do you know who I am?"

"Prince Theon of House Greyjoy. Who else? Tell me true, my lord, how well do you love her, this new maid of yours? Sigrin will want to know."

paperback, p.379

next: ADWD

• 1 month later...

not sure which book I should grab next - that was AFFC wasn't it Batbob45?

Guess I'll do an ADWD one:

"Good morrow, Hugor." Septa Lemore had emerged in her white robes cinched at the waist with a woven belt of seven colors. Her hair flowed loose about her shoulders. "How did you sleep?"

"Fitfully, good lady. I dreamed of you again." . . .

"A wicked dream, no doubt. You are a wicked man. Will you pray with me and ask forgiveness for your sins?"

"No, but do give the Maiden a long sweet kiss for me."

Laughing, the septa walked to the prow of the boat. It was her custom to bathe in the river every morning. "Plainly, this boat was not named for you," Tyrion called as she disrobed.

"The Mother and the Father made us in their image, Hugor. We should glory in our bodies, for they are the work of gods."

They must have been drunk when they got to me.

Next: ASOS

His fingers were growing stiff and his thumb was bleeding, but still Jon notched and drew and loosed. A gout of flame caught his eye, and he turned to see the door of the common hall afire. Another game would be: recite a random passage from ASOIAF and watch speech recognition make it even more random.
DWD

The captain did as he was told. As he jerked up his captive's maimed left hand the lightning flashed again, throwing the shadow of Davos Seaworth's shortened fingers across the blunt and brutal face of Godric Borrell, Lord of Sweetsister. "Any man can steal a ribbon," the lord said, "but those fingers do not lie. You are the onion knight."

Davos 1, p.124, ADWD

Next: AGOT

Eroeh stared fearfully at Drogo where he lay. "He dies," she whispered.

Dany slapped her. "The khal cannot die. He is the father of the stallion who mounts the world. His hair has never been cut. He still wears the bells his father gave him."

"Khaleesi," Jhiqui said, "he fell from his horse."

(Hardcover, pg. 616)

Next: ADWD

«Muerte», lo sabía, «pero lenta. Todavía tengo tiempo. Un año. Dos años. Cinco. Algunos hombres de piedra viven durante diez. Suficiente tiempo como para cruzar el mar, para ver el Nido del Grifo de nuevo. Para terminar con los sucesores del Usurpador para siempre, y poner al hijo de Rhaegar en el Trono de Hierro»

Entonces Jon Connington podría morir satisfecho.

~El Caballero Perdido

Next, Clash.

The call came drifting through the black of night. Jon pushed himself onto an elbow, his hand reaching for Longclaw by force of habit as the camp began to stir. The horn that wakes the sleepers, he thought.

- Jon V, p.564, ACoK

Next: ASoS

"Arm us!" Tyrion sprang to his feet and seized her by the arm. "You will need every sword."

She knew he was right, Tyrion could see it. The mountain clans cared nothing for the enmities of the great houses; they would slaughter Stark and Lannister with equal fervor, as they slaughtered each other. They might spare Catelyn herself, she was still young enough to bare sons. Still, she hesitated.

p.332 (paperback), Tyrion 4, AGOT

Next: AFFC

eta

I like this game. :)

The knight came at once. He wore horsehair leggings and painted vest, like a rider. Coarse black hair covered his thick chest and muscular arms. "My princess. How may I serve you?"

AGOT paperback, pg 584.

ADWD

Eta: ninja'd!

The Freys stepped aside to let them pass. A crowd had gathered below the scaffold, including a dozen camp followers in various states of disarray. Jaime noticed one man holding a woodharp. "You. Singer. Come with me."

AFFC paperback, pg 815.

ADWD

When the herald callled, "Lord Petyr Baelish," he came forth dressed all in shades of rose and plum, his cloak patterned with mockingbirds. She could see him smiling as he knelt before the Iron Throne. He looks so pleased. Sansa had not heard of Littlefinger doing anything especially heroic during the battle, but it seemed he was to be rewarded all the same.

p.910, (paperback), Sansa 8, ACOK

next: ASOS

"Leave him where he is," Chett said. "The Wall is no place for the weak. Let him train till he is ready, no matter how many years that takes. Ser Alliser shall make a man of him or kill him, as the gods will."

"That's stupid," Jon said. He took a deep breath to gather his thoughts. "I remember once I asked Maester Luwin why he wore a chain around his throat."

Maester Aemon touched his own collar lightly, his bony wrinkled finger stroking the heavy metal links. "Go on."

"He told me that a maester's collar is made of chain to remind him that he is sworn to serve," Jon said, remembering. "I asked why each link is a different metal. A silver chain would look much finer with his grey robes, I said. Maester Luwin laughed. A maester forges his chain with study, he told me. The different metals are each a different kind of learning, gold for the study of money and accounts, silver for healing, iron for warcraft. And he said there were other meanings as well. The chain is supposed to remind a maester of the realm he serves, isn't that so? Lords are gold and knights steel, but two links can't make a chain. You also need silver and iron and lead, tin and copper and bronze and all the rest, and those are farmers and smiths and merchants and the like. A chain needs all sorts of metals, and a land needs all sorts of people."

Maester Aemon smiled, "And so?"

"The Night's Watch needs all sorts too. Why else have rangers and stewards and builders? Lord Randyll couldn't make Sam a warrior, and Ser Alliser won't either. You can't hammer tin into iron, no matter how hard you beat it, but that doesn't mean tin is useless. Why shouldn't Sam be a steward?"

next: AFFC

Finally the doors opened, and her betrothed strode into her father’s hall. She tried to greet him as she had been instructed, only to have blood come pouring from her mouth.She had bitten her tongue off as she waited. She spat it at the young knight’s feet, and saw the disgust on his face.

“Brienne the Beauty,” he said in a mocking tone. “I have seen sows more beautiful than you.”

He tossed the rose in her face. As he walked away, the griffins on his cloak rippled and blurred and changed to lions. Jaime! she wanted to cry. Jaime, come back for me! But her tongue lay on the floor by the rose, drowned in blood. - AFfC, Brienne VIII

Next: A Clash of Kings

Archived