Harry Potter at the World Cup (Quiddich)

Deedles

Any Pottermore members around these parts? I see there is a new story up about Harry in his 30s. Anyone read it? Is it worth signing up for? Will it cause as much division as the epilogue?

http://www.today.com/books/read-j-k-rowlings-new-post-latest-harry-potter-gossip-1D79887288

Don't have to sign up to read it.

And it is basically the epilogue with meaningless speculations from Rita Skeeter. About all the new info we get:

Hermione is Deputy Head of the Department of Magical Law enforcement, and Harry has a new scar on his cheek.

I signed up to read it and got sucked into the site playing their stupid games for a few hours. Beware.

The info in the article is not new if you've been following the tidbits after the story. Like, who married who, and their professions after, and their children. It's just more elaboration and details.

There are more articles in the site. I was just going through one that is about wizards and Scotland Rugby.

There is lots of content.

I am a member of Pottermore but I never go because I was pissed they Sorted me into Slytherin. (I think I re-signed up like three times and never got Ravenclaw, bastards.)

I liked the story. Rita's tone made me think of Karl Rove. ("Her twin sons are ‘at home with grandpa’. Is this a euphemism for ‘too disturbed to be seen in public’? Surely only the unkindest would suggest so.")

Also I love that Hermione is still a Granger. :)

I am a member of Pottermore but I never go because I was pissed they Sorted me into Slytherin. (I think I re-signed up like three times and never got Ravenclaw, bastards.)

I'll trade you my Ravenclaw user name and password for your Slytherin! (I am absolutely being serious.) I totally don't belong in Ravenclaw, only people that know me superficially would think I belong in Ravenclaw.

In any case, I enjoyed the article. It was total Rita and total tabloid. I only wish Rita's book on the DA was really a book and coming out on July 30th.

Thank you Jo for keeping it alive and bringing all the memories ! Reading that Rita Skeeter article was amazing ! I missed her style ! ^^

I'm a Ravenclaw too although I feel much more like a Slytherin, indeed !

I'll trade you my Ravenclaw user name and password for your Slytherin! (I am absolutely being serious.) I totally don't belong in Ravenclaw, only people that know me superficially would think I belong in Ravenclaw.

I would but I don't remember what it is! I tried getting them to send it to me, but whatever email address it is must be lost in the ether.

While reading that article I couldn't help but imagine Hermione's indignant reaction to it.

Or perhaps she/they would pity Rita. She is obviously getting crotchety and judgemental in her old age.

Reading between the lines of the snark. (as great as the snark is) it seems like they are doing pretty well.

I mean, back in the day teenagers getting together was saucy gossip. Now it's seems it's poor behaviour that needs to be controlled.

I too wish that book by Rita was a real thing coming out.

I was aiming for Hufflepuff and got put into Slytherin. Every kind or "sorting test" I do I end up in Slytherin.

I'm in Ravenclaw. It's got to do with the questions about what sort of values are important to you, etc, during the sorting. If you know the attributes of all 4 houses, just select the attributes that are closest to what you want. It's easy to game the system.

Don't need to make new accounts using different emails, they allow you to delete your old account. Just delete and sign up again.

But better to be honest and discover what you really are. I'm Slytherin apparently. :crying:

I'm thinking this was mostly because I picked left over right.

I'm not one to go back to the Harry Potter books often, but I quite enjoyed that story. It's funny how quickly I could pt Rita's voice back into my head as soon as I started reading that even though I haven't touched the books for the last 3-4 years.

For a few seconds I did think that she might be releasing an actual book on the 30th, but probably not!

Surprised Rita doesn't make anything of the fact the Harry, Ron and Hermione all managed to get jobs with the Ministry of Magic despite never finishing high school. Favouritism? Surely only the unkindest would suggest so.

Surprised Rita doesn't make anything of the fact the Harry, Ron and Hermione all managed to get jobs with the Ministry of Magic despite never finishing high school. Favouritism? Surely only the unkindest would suggest so.

Except that the Wizarding World is essentially one giant public sector operation. Most people either seem to work for the Ministry of Magic, or you work as a teacher (unless you're one of those fringe entrepreneurs who operates out of Diagon Alley, or you work in media like Rita herself. Albeit, I'm not sure about St Mungos - for all we know, it's part of the NHS).

Except that the Wizarding World is essentially one giant public sector operation. Most people either seem to work for the Ministry of Magic, or you work as a teacher (unless you're one of those fringe entrepreneurs who operates out of Diagon Alley, or you work in media like Rita herself. Albeit, I'm not sure about St Mungos - for all we know, it's part of the NHS).

True but they do seem to have a free press which should definitely have something to say about celebrity influence getting you a job in the Auror's office. Half the plot of book six was about how harry needed top grades to be an Auror. Not only did he never get those grades, he didn't even attend his final year of school. Neither did Hemione and she's head of the place! :lol: At least Ron had the decency to duck out when he realised his charms weren't up to scratch.

True but they do seem to have a free press which should definitely have something to say about celebrity influence getting you a job in the Auror's office. Half the plot of book six was about how harry needed top grades to be an Auror. Not only did he never get those grades, he didn't even attend his final year of school. Neither did Hemione and she's head of the place! :lol: At least Ron had the decency to duck out when he realised his charms weren't up to scratch.

I suppose that Harry, Ron, and Hermione were in a position to demand anything they wanted, at the end of Book 7. And, few people seem to get appointed to positions on the basis of merit, in the Wizarding World.

Some people seem to have sources of private wealth, like Harry's parents, or the Malfoys. The economics of the Wizarding World probably don't bear very much scrutiny.

Archived