Harry Potter at the World Cup (Quiddich)

Deedles

Though it didn't really give us much new information it was a charming story. I'll be honest, Pottermore was something of a disappointment to me but I loved the little snippets of new information. So I'll be interested in how Rowling continues to tell the story of the Wizarding World through the site.

I'll be honest, Pottermore was something of a disappointment to me but I loved the little snippets of new information.

I enjoy the new little snippets we get along the way on the site. I absolutely loved the information we got on the Malfoys and their family history, for example. But on a whole except for those the site isn't really anything I'm interested in. I have no interest in dueling or making potions so I skip all that. And I am not hanging out in the house common room and chatting with anyone there...the people there seem very very young. So I mainly go there when a new book is posted to see what the new information is. But I've loved the World Cup coverage, that has been fun.

I remember that I was desperate to get early acces to Pottermore back in the day. I succeeded and once I was able to go on it I quickly lost interest. I too do not care about dueling and poison making, I just wanted some new info to get my Potterfix. Did the site ever release any other relevant information? It's been so long since I played that I'm probably far behind on it.

I'm in Ravenclaw. It's got to do with the questions about what sort of values are important to you, etc, during the sorting. If you know the attributes of all 4 houses, just select the attributes that are closest to what you want. It's easy to game the system.

Don't need to make new accounts using different emails, they allow you to delete your old account. Just delete and sign up again.

Gee, I never thought of that...

I've tried several times and I think I've gotten Gryffindor, Slytherin twice, and maybe Hufflepuff once.

I got Hufflepuff. Seriously I think I have to redo it I will take anything other then Hufflepuff.

Why? (curiosity - maybe I read them differently) I mean nobody expects anything from them. But they are still tenacious and there are some that have been notably successful and ambitious.

Not to mention they are generally all about a fair go and being good natured.

They are probably one of the few groups that can be successful without an elitist proxy placed on them. They can fly under the radar.

And can be thick skinned. How many fights have we heard of that involved a Hufflepuff getting their back up after being insulted. And they get insulted a lot. They are working against prejudice.

I can dig Hufflepuffs. But apparently Slytherin are my peeps.

The big issue with Slytherin is that Rowling contradicts herself on what they are about. Are they about ambition, cunning, or pure-blooded elitism? Those qualities aren't the same, and indeed are contradictory (pure-blooded aristocrats are already at the top of society, so have no need for ambition). And Crabbe and Goyle are neither ambitious nor cunning. Essentially Slytherin is the all-purpose dumping ground for villains.

Hufflepuff, sadly, is the all-purpose dumping ground for anyone who isn't Harry Potter's friend, evil, or nerdy.

I remember that I was desperate to get early acces to Pottermore back in the day. I succeeded and once I was able to go on it I quickly lost interest. I too do not care about dueling and poison making, I just wanted some new info to get my Potterfix. Did the site ever release any other relevant information? It's been so long since I played that I'm probably far behind on it.

So far, the only things I've been excited for are the bios. We had McGonagall and Remus. I suppose that by the time of OotP we'll get Sirius Black.

Rowling did say Harry and Ron joined the Aurors immediately to hunt remaining Death Eater pockets. Hermione went back to school and completed her 7th year (probably with top honors).

Interesting.

I always assumed they all finished their education quickly after book 7 - maybe went back for a year or did a shorter course and did their exams. Then were in position to get most any post after having saved the wizarding world.

Nevile marrying Hannah was a new information for me - I always thought he ended up with Luna!

Gee, I never thought of that...

I've tried several times and I think I've gotten Gryffindor, Slytherin twice, and maybe Hufflepuff once.

Maybe you're just not as smart as you think you are. :P

There was a few questions about choosing between rivers and forests and I chose rivers. So then I get sorted into Slytherin and get an introductory welcome message about how in our subterranean common room I can go to sleep at night with the sound of the lake sloshing around my window. Well, fuck you sewer people I don't want to live in a lake.

The big issue with Slytherin is that Rowling contradicts herself on what they are about. Are they about ambition, cunning, or pure-blooded elitism? Those qualities aren't the same, and indeed are contradictory (pure-blooded aristocrats are already at the top of society, so have no need for ambition). And Crabbe and Goyle are neither ambitious nor cunning. Essentially Slytherin is the all-purpose dumping ground for villains.

Hufflepuff, sadly, is the all-purpose dumping ground for anyone who isn't Harry Potter's friend, evil, or nerdy.

It's a great way to show everyone that the world is not black and white. A prevalent theme in the series is about sterotyping, discrimination and prejudice. Even when someone is in Slytherin, or indeed other houses, it doesn't mean each individual has the characteristics that the houses are labelled or associated with.

It's a great way to show everyone that the world is not black and white. A prevalent theme in the series is about sterotyping, discrimination and prejudice. Even when someone is in Slytherin, or indeed other houses, it doesn't mean each individual has the characteristics that the houses are labelled or associated with.

Except that all-purpose dumping ground for villains is the definition of black and white. I nearly threw the book across the room when Dumbledore remarked about Snape that "sometimes we sort too soon".

Would it have killed Rowling to actually show us a Slytherin who wasn't racist, ugly, and/or evil? (apart from Slughorn, who is merely a fat and pathetic coward?). It's a bit much to assume that a quarter of teenagers are irredeemably evil.

That's because almost the whole series with the exception of a few chapters is from Harry Potter's POV. That's the limitation of such a format... unlike asoiaf where we have different POVs. In the series the only Slytherin contact HP has is with Malfoy and gang. In reverse, we can also say that the Slytherins were ostracised by the 3 houses. But yeah she should give us more examples of good guys from Slytherin and a few bad guys from the 3 houses too to balance the story. Anyways, Peter Pettigrew was from Gryffindor and he was a bad guy. Snape's from Slytherin and he was a reformed good guy.

That's because almost the whole series with the exception of a few chapters is from Harry Potter's POV. That's the limitation of such a format... unlike asoiaf where we have different POVs. In the series the only Slytherin contact HP has is with Malfoy and gang. In reverse, we can also say that the Slytherins were ostracised by the 3 houses. But yeah she should give us more examples of good guys from Slytherin and a few bad guys from the 3 houses too to balance the story. Anyways, Peter Pettigrew was from Gryffindor and he was a bad guy. Snape's from Slytherin and he was a reformed good guy.

The POV argument was tenable up until the sixth book. The seventh book (where not one Slytherin stays behind to defend Hogwarts) shows that Harry's viewpoint is objectively correct.

(Pettigrew's placement, like Hermione's, is one of those cases of plot trumping logic).

The POV argument was tenable up until the sixth book. The seventh book (where not one Slytherin stays behind to defend Hogwarts) shows that Harry's viewpoint is objectively correct.

(Pettigrew's placement, like Hermione's, is one of those cases of plot trumping logic).

I kind of took it to be a self-selecting thing. Considering the Sorting Hat takes into the account the children's preferences, the people most likely to be Sorted into Slytherin are the ones who aren't turned off by the reputation of Slytherin. I don't think all of the Slytherin's are evil by any means, but I could see how peer pressure and groupthink plus the self-selection effect could make it seem so. Durmstrang is supposed to be like Slytherin on steroids, but they still have decent people there. We just never really got to see a protagonist from Slytherin except for Snape. (As for as the "we Sort too soon" comment I thought that just showed that Dumbledore, being a Gryffindor, had such a close almost familial connection with Snape that he wished they were Housemates.)

And then I realize I've spent way too much time overthinking the dynamics of a children's book that in all likelihood just started out as a nice simplistic way of making antagonists and then just didn't grow enough.

If you enjoyed Rita's "article" from the other day, then you will enjoy Rita's continued World Cup commentary on Pottermore today. Two selections from it...

Rita Skeeter 01.31 hrs

Charlie Weasley – or ‘The Unmarried Weasley’ as he is often known - is a burly chap carrying several burns due to his work with dragons. Like his sister-in-law Hermione ‘Bored Yawn’ Granger, he is paying little attention to the match, preferring what seems to be a most interesting talk with Rolf Scamander, husband of ‘Loony’ Lovegood. How difficult it has been to marry ‘into’ Dumbledore’s Army we can only speculate. Nobody who witnessed it will ever forget the shock on Scamander’s face when he saw Lovegood’s wedding dress – rainbows, spangles and a tiara of silver unicorn horns, voted ‘Most Hideous Outfit of the Year’ by readers of my regular Daily Prophet column. While Lovegood and Scamander appear to be holding hands in the VIP box, this might well be because Rolf is trying to prevent his wife from putting on one of her famous Special Event Hats.

Rita Skeeter 01.58 hrs

George Weasley, wealthy co-owner of joke shop Weasleys’ Wizard Wheezes, has only one ear. This disability did not prevent him from marrying his dead brother’s ex-girlfriend Angelina Johnson, or from fathering two children with her: Fred and Roxanne. They are putting on a show of family togetherness up in the box. However, few will forget the recent rumours that – in spite of the plentiful gold brought in by such inventions as Puking Pastilles – Angelina has grown restless in her marriage and recently left the marital home to – my colleague, Ginny Potter, has just informed me that Angelina left the marital home to care for her sick father. Many will think that a likely story. Meanwhile, Teddy Lupin and Victoire Weasley have taken advantage of their elders’ inattention to find their way back into adjacent seats.

Archived