Behind blue eyes

Snow Dottir

What do you think of Val's blue eyes?

Now, I've heard Grrm himself in interviews say that sometimes he gets someones eye color wrong, but this just seems like too much going on at once to not be significant.

When Val first leaves the wall for Jon, all it says is she's wearing a huge BROWN bearskin cloak...it talks about her half blind horse, food, ect...she also mentions Gillys "little monster"

Val has been described as having pale gray eyes. The wiki says,

"Val is a beautiful woman with blonde hair[1] which she sometimes wears in a golden braid across one shoulder.[2] She has pale grey eyes with high sharp cheekbones; but when she returns from her mission to Tormund her eyes are recorded as blue."

When she returns she's this vision in white, and walking with Ghost "they look as though they belong together"

she's described as "clad in all white" and then goes into detail White woolen breeches, boots of bleached white leather, WHITE bearskin cloak pinned with a weirwood face, white tunic, breath white as well...it says "BUT her eyes are blue"

It also describes her cheeks being red so to be fair I won't leave that out.

Shortly thereafter, we get the pink letter, Wun Wun freaks out and everything goes to hell.

Now, Val mentions several times that she's wary of Mellisandre, magic being a "sword with no hilt"...that she knows Mel is aware who the "little monster" really is and what-not.

So. Did something (really awesome)) happen to Val?

Does she just have a really extensive wardrobe complete with colored contacts?

Is "blue" passable for "pale gray"?

why the heavy play on "white"

Am I looking at somthing that isn't there???

I hope that she's connected to the WW and is our equivalent of the NK's wife, but in all likelihood it's just another error.

O gods, me too...

I don't know if I'm just biased and hungry for that or if it's really a possibility.

Folks talk alot about what happened to Jon, who wrote the pink letter, Melissandre (like she's boss) but not much about Val

Personally I feel like Mel is going to be a bit out of her LITERAL element being so far north and having someone or someones representing the old gods would be nice.

The next Night's Queen (being descended from the first) who will attempt to seduce Jon into being Night's King 2.0 and fail. Then she'll turn to Darkstar who is "of the night" and has somehow gotten himself in trouble and had to flee to the wall, with the stolen Dawn.

Actually though, it may just be a mistake like Jeyne Westerling's hips.

The next Night's Queen (being descended from the first) who will attempt to seduce Jon into being Night's King 2.0 and fail. Then she'll turn to Darkstar who is "of the night" and has somehow gotten himself in trouble and had to flee to the wall, with the stolen Dawn.

Actually though, it may just be a mistake like Jeyne Westerling's hips.

I wonder if he's been asked if it was a mistake??? I know it could be easily...Pale Gray and Blue is not a huge stretch.

The only thing that had me so intrigued was the wording "BUT her eyes were blue"

Also the detailed description of her clothes being all white, again, maybe I'm seeing somthing that's not there??

What was making Wun Wun freak out?? Did it have somthing to do with Val?? :bang:

I've really been fixated on this and I hope it's not all for nothing...which it totally could be.

Do you mean what was making Wun Wun freak out the night Jon was stabbed? I think Ser Patrek was trying to "steal" Val and Wun Wun was protecting her.

Though it would also work that Ser Patrek saw Val doing some weird NQ thing and went after her, and Wun Wun was protecting her.

Or that Wun Wun saw Val doing some weird NQ thing and freaked out, and Ser Patrck got in the way when Wun Wun tried to get the heck out of there.

It's an interesting point. There seems to be some emphasis on Val's appearance over all, makes it harder to make a mistake about the eye colour. Still, if she's is he night's queen she should have some sort of power, which we have not seen yet.

Do you mean what was making Wun Wun freak out the night Jon was stabbed? I think Ser Patrek was trying to "steal" Val and Wun Wun was protecting her.

Though it would also work that Ser Patrek saw Val doing some weird NQ thing and went after her, and Wun Wun was protecting her.

Or that Wun Wun saw Val doing some weird NQ thing and freaked out, and Ser Patrck got in the way when Wun Wun tried to get the heck out of there.

Yes.

The night Jon was stabbed. All of those things you said, if any one of those things happend the val had somthing to do with Wun Wun -gate.

I fell so bad for poor Wun Wun :( the giants are one thing that makes me sad....Id probably cry if I hear someone singing the giant song too (I imagine it like a old Irish ballad or somthing)

the freefolk are leagues different that most all Westeros, the religion is more "natural". There are wargs, ect.

Craster cant be the only "religious" person around.

Devotees of the Old Gods wouldn't be all in your face about it like Mellisadre and could easily be doing things right out in the open.

Like, blatantly wearing all white with a weirfood face pin and having extra blue eyes somtimes.<~ (speculation)

I know this has probably been talked about before so, sorry if it's washed and dried.

It's an interesting point. There seems to be some emphasis on Val's appearance over all, makes it harder to make a mistake about the eye colour. Still, if she's is he night's queen she should have some sort of power, which we have not seen yet.

We kind of have seen "powers", sort of?

All the free folk have been experiencing the others and Giants and theres alot more wargs, ect... Val and Ghost are described as close and Ghost isn't close to anyone really.

I would just like to see Melissandre have some competition. Someone that doesn't want anyone messing with the weirwoods.

No one has pins and things that aren't significant in some way (That I can think of)

And that Weirwood pin is to die for!!!!!! :)

We kind of have seen "powers", sort of?

All the free folk have been experiencing the others and Giants and theres alot more wargs, ect... Val and Ghost are described as close and Ghost isn't close to anyone really.

I would just like to see Melissandre have some competition. Someone that doesn't want anyone messing with the weirwoods.

No one has pins and things that aren't significant in some way (That I can think of)

And that Weirwood pin is to die for!!!!!! :)

While I would totally kill for the wierwood pin myself, you could say that it was easy to get hold of because Mel is cutting them. All the magic that is recently augmented in the north is I think much bigger that Val. If she were a magical queen, she should have been able to stop her own imprisonment or something by employing that magic. Yes she is incredibly cool, She is a beauty and bffs with Ghost and has a great sense of fashion but a magic queen? I don't know about that.

While I would totally kill for the wierwood pin myself, you could say that it was easy to get hold of because Mel is cutting them. All the magic that is recently augmented in the north is I think much bigger that Val. If she were a magical queen, she should have been able to stop her own imprisonment or something by employing that magic. Yes she is incredibly cool, She is a beauty and bffs with Ghost and has a great sense of fashion but a magic queen? I don't know about that.

No. no.

Sorry, I diddn't make it clear. I don't think she's going to a be "Nights Queen"

Where thats one of many possibilities I don't think it's the only one.

I agree the magics huge in the North. Melissadre has to pay for cutting down Weirwoods and I think somthings going on with Val and alot of other Freefolk.

I never said I thought she was the nights queen, I'm not even sure they'll be a nights queen at all :dunno:

EDIT::::: on rereading your post I see you wrote "magic" queen, I do think she's magic most likely...not a queen :)

Interesting. There may be something to this. Doesn't Craster owe the Others a son? Gilly's son..... And he's conveniently at the Wall. Val leaves for a period of time, then she returns with blue eyes. Interesting.

YES!!!!! yes.

the little monster.

whoever wrote the pink letter doesn't seem to know "the wildling prince" is on a boat with Morroqo (sp?) either.

Something is going on with Val. I'm sure GRRM will reveal more in TWOW since he said that we are going further north in the next book, maybe something more about the Others, as sentient beings.

Just as there a cause for sympathy to the humans as there is anger for their wrong doings, there is also a cause of sympathy for the Others. I think Val will be that channel for Jon to know that the Others, as sentient beings, are not truly evil. And Jon being that balance, will understand, and the conflict of the human heart will be fully applied, as he must convince the realms of men of what he has understood. Will he succeed? or will he have to fight his own fellow human beings for them to understand?

Something is going on with Val. I'm sure GRRM will reveal more in TWOW since he said that we are going further north in the next book, maybe something more about the Others, as sentient beings.

Just as there a cause for sympathy to the humans as there is anger for their wrong doings, there is also a cause of sympathy for the Others. I think Val will be that channel for Jon to know that the Others, as sentient beings, are not truly evil. And Jon being that balance, will understand, and the conflict of the human heart will be fully applied, as he must convince the realms of men of what he has understood. Will he succeed? or will he have to fight his own fellow human beings for them to understand?

That, my friend, is the most eloquent wording of the way I've been predicting this song to play out. :bowdown:

I predict it would take a fight for humans to understand that. There's no-one anywhere (besides north of the wall????)

that knows anything about the Others right now. besides that they are "Evil" (right?) We even as readers have been led in that direction. That the White Walkers are just monsters and evil.

Well yes but what if being imprisoned is essential to her plan? Why stop something that's putting all the ducks a row for you with no effort on your part?

Interesting. There may be something to this. Doesn't Craster owe the Others a son? Gilly's son..... And he's conveniently at the Wall. Val leaves for a period of time, then she returns with blue eyes. Interesting.

If the baby went missing, someone would know. Or do you just think she went and made some kind of deal with the Others? That would work. A little greyscale protection maybe. Ice preserves.

Well yes but what if being imprisoned is essential to her plan? Why stop something that's putting all the ducks a row for you with no effort on your part?

If the baby went missing, someone would know. Or do you just think she went and made some kind of deal with the Others? That would work. A little greyscale protection maybe. Ice preserves.

The little monster won't have to go missing.

O.k. now I'm gonna take a leap and say......

maybe Val isn't scared of anything because she knows she's in the North.

Surrounded by like minded, hardly understood, LOYAL family and friends of the freefolk.

Stuffs hittin' the fan right now, score for the Old Gods?

The baby is a huge deal. We don't even know who takes care of them, where the females are, ect

Not exactly a new "deal" with the others maybe?

Craster always talked of how "religious" he was, surely he wasn't the only religious person north of the wall.

The others already kind of "have" the baby...i.e. through Val (<~~~~crackpot territory)

I believe that is either a mistake of a change of color because of the light. I don't believe that Val is a sexy Other who btw can breathe. I believe that this is just ridiculous.

Not a "sexy other" but religious.

I'm really not saying she has to be anybody but Val. Like Melissisadre is Mel.

I don't think Mel is a Dragon. Why would I think Val is an other?

Please, don't try and spiin this into the "Vals a sexy other" thread :rolleyes: (Although that would be good though as a title, lotsa people would look at least)

Mel has gives birth to a Shadow monster that killed a king, if we diddn't know her story we'd say THAT sounded pretty ridiculous too.

we know nothing about how the Old Gods work, we know alot more about R'hollor followers and their obsession with red. There are signs when someone is a "fire" worshipper. Why not similar for "Ice"?

Val says to Jon "...I know the forest better than any of your black cloaked Rangers. It hold no ghost for me."

Why?

She has no fear whatsoever of traveling North of the wall. No fear or regard or mention of the Others at all.

Archived