Dany/Tyrion Question

The Fresh PtwP

Can someone explain to me why Dany is going to make Tyrion Lannister anything but a hostage?

Advisor, dragon rider, Hand?!?!? Why should Dany give anything to a Lannister? Or better question, what makes so many people certain that she will?

Thoughts?

I'd imagine what Tyrion is better suited than anyone else to do for Dany is to sort out the loyalties of the people she has surrounded herself with. Think about the way he quickly secured his own power in KL. I think Tyrion will talk his way into a trial run as her hand, probably helped by the Second Son's contribution to the defeat of the Yunkai. Then she will see how valuable he is as he quickly subdues Meereen despite Barristan and her own misgivings.

Can someone explain to me why Dany is going to make Tyrion Lannister anything but a hostage?

Advisor, dragon rider, Hand?!?!? Why should Dany give anything to a Lannister? Or better question, what makes so many people certain that she will?

Thoughts?

Because Tyrion has some thing Dany wants, and because Dany has no real political adviser around her, in order to get back her throne, she does need someone like Tyrion to help him. Though Tyrion is almost universally disliked by virtually everybody in Westero, but that whould be OK, after Dany won the war, after Tyrion is no longer useful to her, she can simply get ride of Tyrion.

By the time Dany returns to Meereen, Tyrion will already be ensconced on Barristan's council in Meereen, Victarion and Moqorro will have arrived, and perhaps also Marwyn. The situation she will find will be quite different from what she is expecting. She will have to listen first, before she does anything about Tyrion. After that, learning about Aegon et al, about the drastically altered political situation in Westeros since Barristan left, and---if Marwyn has arrived---about the situation at the Wall, about Aemon, &c, she will have rather more to concern her than the fact that Tyrion is a Lannister.

Let's not overlook the fact that Dany trusted Daario Naharis. We can argue whether a reasonable person would trust Tyrion, but that's not really the question. Tyrion is ugly. She probably won't trust him.

She does not have to trust Tyrion, she only needs know that he is useful and he needs her as much as she needs a good advisor, that would be enough.

By the time Dany returns to Meereen, Tyrion will already be ensconced on Barristan's council in Meereen, Victarion and Moqorro will have arrived, and perhaps also Marwyn.

This could be the answer. Or there could be some other answer related to finding Dany. Maybe they won't find her at Meereen at all. Maybe she will be with the Dothraki, perhaps leading them, perhaps enslaved by them. Maybe Tyrion will win the Dothraki over with promises like he won the mountain clans over. Or maybe he and Jorah will figure out a way to rescue her, getting both of them into her good graces at once.

There are a million things that could happen once you factor in how unsettled Dany's situation is.

A hostage???

And whom would she bribe with him? To which of her antagonists is he of any value alive?

She is the only power to whom this particular Lannister could be useful alive, the point is when and how she will find out.

Exactly. I can see her keeping Tyrion as a prisoner, but not as a hostage. The only potential person who might bid for Tyrion without malice is Jaime, the man who killed Dany's father. A life for a life, Jaime might do it. Otherwise, nobody is going fear losing the Twisted Monkey Demon.

She does not have to trust Tyrion, she only needs know that he is useful and he needs her as much as she needs a good advisor, that would be enough.

Tyrion is a very overrated politician, he got played by LF twice, the Tyrells once and threw the only person who is 100% House Lannister in the black cells. He also gave Dorne a free hostage for no good reason.

By the time Dany returns to Meereen, Tyrion will already be ensconced on Barristan's council in Meereen,

The question is would Barristan accept Tyrion, don't forget Tyrion is a notorious Kingslayer and Kinslayer, and Barristan is a man with honor and is not that flexiable

Thoughts?

Tyrion was only a child during Robert's Rebellion so it's not like he fought against her family, and it's pretty clear that no one hates the Lannisters as much as he does. If Dany could accept Barristan (who by her lights was a betrayer when he served the usurper), she would definitely give Tyrion, the key to King's Landing, a chance.

The question is would Barristan accept Tyrion, don't forget Tyrion is a notorious Kingslayer and Kinslayer, and Barristan is a man with honor and is not that flexiable

This is a good point. I could see Barristan basically arresting Tyrion and waiting for Dany to return to decide what to do with Tyrion.

Tyrion's first conversation with Griff lays it out quite succinctly.. Both excerpts below from ADwD, Tyrion III (Chapter 9)

"... Why does he imagine that Her Grace would welcome the service of a self-confessed kingslayer and betrayer?” A fair question, thought Tyrion, but what he said was, “The king I slew was sitting on her throne, and all those I betrayed were lions, so it seems to me that I have already done the queen good service.”

And then slightly later:

“And how do you propose to serve her?” “With my tongue.” He licked his fingers, one by one. “I can tell Her Grace how my sweet sister thinks, if you call it thinking. I can tell her captains the best way to defeat my brother, Jaime, in battle. I know which lords are brave and which are craven, which are loyal and which are venal. I can deliver allies to her. And I know much and more of dragons, as your halfmaester will tell you.”

By the time Dany meets Victarion and Tyrion, they will both be dragonriders. She will also learn that they destroyed the Yunkish army and defeated the incoming Volantene Fleet. Also they will be ruling Meereen in her name. What else she can ask for?

It's very simple. There's an old saying that applies here. "The enemy of my enemy is my friend." And if that doesn't convince you, how about "politics makes strange bedfellows?" Tyrion can be useful. She doesn't have to like him. She doesn't have to want him around. She doesn't have to trust him. He can help, and she needs help. More than likely she'll see it as a temporary compromise that can be reversed later. She'll also have him watched 24/7 so he won't be able to pull anything.

He may be best buddies with Viserion by the time she flies back to Meereen anyway. She won't summarily dismiss anyone one of her babies likes.

The Jaime point is a good one. If she wants to get the Kingslayer, she might be able to do so by threatening to kill Tyrion if Goldenhand doesn't give himself up. Another possibility is Tyrion's wife. Sansa has no power at the moment, but she's moving up in the world. She might decide saving her husband's life is the least she can do given how kind he was, and how very unLannister-like about the whole marriage thing.

Again for those who didn't listen. How is Tyrion a good political asset for Dany?

He got owned almost as bad as the Ned did in KL

He's public enemy #1, anyone who helps him is going to be despised by Westeros.

He's untrustworthy, a kinslayer, and pretty vile at this point.

I guess he has current Westerosi info...but then again so did Quentyn

I don't think "I'm a kinslayer, work with me" is the way to start out.

Dany -- whose husband killed her brother (ie his own goodbrother) -- should be the last to shun kinslayers. And yes, I know Dany didn't do it herself, and she might not have been able to stop Drogo, but still...

Dany -- whose husband killed her brother (ie his own goodbrother) -- should be the last to shun kinslayers. And yes, I know Dany didn't do it herself, and she might not have been able to stop Drogo, but still...

But nothing. She didn't do it, she tried to stop, but couldn't. Nowhere near kinslaying. :P

I guess he has current Westerosi info...but then again so did Quentyn

Quentyn's failure was that he wasn't able to get Dany's attention, nor offer her anything she needed at the moment. Tyrion is a bit more apt at the job of making himself useful.

I guess by the time Tyrion and Dany finally meet, she's already on her way to Westeros, when whatever info he has is going to be very valuable. Just for starters, he knows something Quentyn didn't: that Aegon is alive and waiting for her.

Archived