Most evil characters?

In contrast to most other people on the list, however, Euron's atrocities are largely a matter of either hearsay, rumor or fairly creative interpretation of the text: They are mutilated, sure. By him ? Not necessarily. Technically only once, when seducing his brother's wife. According to him, she was willing. And according to Vic as well. Too bad we can't get her side of the story. Wild speculation. A tale told by Euron, and not so much for pleasure as a response to the warlock threatening him. Again, we haven't heard the warlocks side of it (or even seen them). Supposedly is indeed the word. It's a forum theory, nothing more, nothing less. He didn't usurp anything, he was elected at the Kingsmoot. As for lies and deceit, well, that depends. We still haven't gotten to see whether the dragon horn works or not. Finally, untold horrors are well, untold. Until they become told horrors, I'll go with people we've seen do terrible stuff (there certainly isn't a lack of those). Exactly, we don't know. Could be his endgame is to save the world, and all this is just necessary, which is the excuse many posters

use for Melissandre's cruelties.So yeah, Euron is POTENTIALLY right up there, if everything about him checks out terrible. Until it does, though, he'll rank below the ones we've seen do all the terrible stuff, like Ramsay and Gregor.

OTOH, we get his proud boast "I have fertilised their screaming women with my seed.". He revels in the torture, rape, and humiliation of his enemies.

He may not yet be "the shit of the shit" but he's definitely a contender.

The thing for me that I'd put the basis on is the pleasure they take in their deeds.

Ramsay, Lorch, Joffrey, Hoat, Euron, Gregor.

You can argue the likes of Roose, Tywin, Sandor, Victarion do evil things but they dont get (or at least display) any sadistic pleasure out of it.

Of course its still killing, raping etc but there is just something more evil about Ramsay in that he gets enjoyment out of it.

Baelor Blacktyde was executed for treason in a terrible way. Which makes Euron about as bad as Stannis.

Hmm, I would ask Aeron Damphair, who it is hinted at was molested by Euron, how bad Euron is.

The sound of a door opening, the screaming of a rusted iron hinge. Euron has come again.

For me:

1. Ramsay Snow - Totally sadistic. He is not just capable of doing horrible things, he enjoys doing them.
  2. Gregor Clegane - Not only killing children, but raping and killing Elia just because he wasn't told differently.
  3. Aerys Targaryen - Also enjoyed being sadistic, and was willing to kill everyone in Kings landing.
  4. Utt - False priest of the Seven a pedophile and child killer
  5. Vargo Hoat - There are a couple of other Brave Companions on my list and could easily be more. he is their leader.
  6. Rorge - Only Jaqen was ever able to keep him in check, once on his own he brutally sacked the Salt Pans.
  7. Craster - Sacraficing all of your male children is about as bad as it gets.
  8. Euron - Discussed in previous postssome say including him might be "Wild Speculation. I say you don't get his reputation on accident. I also don't think he was sneaking into Aeron's room to tell him bedtime stories.
  9. Joffrey - He would have been higher on the list I'm sure if he had made it to adulthood.
  10. The Tickler - Tortures individuals for a living. Why he may do it on Gregors orders, he is good enough at it to have a nickname.

I disagree with several on LordArryn's list.

• Viserys Targaryen. He was cowardly, cruel and abusive and likely had the potential to be another Aerys. However he simply hasn't done the things others on the list have done.
  • Cersei Lannister - Show too much love for her children, She isn't a good person but not as evil as some
  • Yezzan - He is actually one of the better slavers (yes that is an oxymoronic term)
  • Littlefinger - He wants power and will do almost anything for it. He is ruthless not as evil as many.

@ Theotherprince:

1. Viserys: The only reason he hasn't done any huge atrocities yet, is because he had neither the power nor money to do them. Living in near poverty with people hunting him has made him more cautious and wary, but whenever he has even the tiniest bit of power ( like over Dany) he is a monster. He is pretty much Joffrey without any money or power ( vicious prick with a massive sense of entitlement.)

2. Cersei I think may be most evil of all. All her apologists point out the fact that she loves her children. Perhaps, but it is a selfish, immature, possessive sort of love, not "real love" as in wanting what is truly best for them. If she truly loved Joffrey she would have wanted to raise him as a proper gentleman, and have him face consequences for his misdeeds over the years. And apart from her children, she doesn't really love anyone, and noone really likes her. She doesn't have any real authentic relationships with anyone. Its almost like if she can't dominate/control another person, she isn't really interested.

3. Yezzan's relationship with Sweets was fairly abusive Imo.

4. Your probs right about littlefinger. I just put him there because he is such a selfish, cold schemer, who cares about noone but himself ( and Sansa). You could definitly do worse.

@ Theotherprince:

1. Viserys: The only reason he hasn't done any huge atrocities yet, is because he had neither the power nor money to do them. Living in near poverty with people hunting him has made him more cautious and wary, but whenever he has even the tiniest bit of power ( like over Dany) he is a monster. He is pretty much Joffrey without any money or power ( vicious prick with a massive sense of entitlement.)

2. Cersei I think may be most evil of all. All her apologists point out the fact that she loves her children. Perhaps, but it is a selfish, immature, possessive sort of love, not "real love" as in wanting what is truly best for them. If she truly loved Joffrey she would have wanted to raise him as a proper gentleman, and have him face consequences for his misdeeds over the years. And apart from her children, she doesn't really love anyone, and noone really likes her. She doesn't have any real authentic relationships with anyone. Its almost like if she can't dominate/control another person, she isn't really interested.

3. Yezzan's relationship with Sweets was fairly abusive Imo.

4. Your probs right about littlefinger. I just put him there because he is such a selfish, cold schemer, who cares about noone but himself ( and Sansa). You could definitly do worse.

1. We are in agreement overall about Visery's. Given the time and means I think he would have been as bad or worse then anyone. It really just comes down to opportunity.

I can see your argument for Cersei, I just think that the fact she shows love (even if it is selfish) and she doesn't seem to enjoy hurting others (not always any way) keeps her off the list for me. I am certainly not arguing that she is a good person by any means.

Again I agree completely, but if I remember correctly (I don't have the book with me right now) Tyrion remarks that out of the other slavers Yezzan was one of the better ones.

As someone already mentioned: we have to separate between individual "evil" (sick sadistic psychopath type) and "evil" in the grand scheme of things (our Hitler / Stalin / Pol Pot type kind of evil). IMO it is not useful to mix those two categories unless a character belongs into both.

For category one all the candidates have already been mentioned.

IMO the most disturbing character in the Series is Euron as he easily fits into both categories, sadistic and psychopath on personal level and in the grand scheme of things (maybe Roose too but we dont know how screwed up he is on a personal level, Joffrey died too young so he doesnt count and Aerys I dont consider because he is not an active character).

I have to say that the scene on the Shield Islands is for me one of the most disturbing ones in the whole series. Pure Terror and humiliation but also very calculating on Euron's part. Euron reaches a level on the "sinister scale" which the likes of Ramsay, Joffrey, Gregor or Vargo will never reach because they are IMO just too simple minded.

As someone already mentioned: we have to separate between individual "evil" (sick sadistic psychopath type) and "evil" in the grand scheme of things (our Hitler / Stalin / Pol Pot type kind of evil). IMO it is not useful to mix those two categories unless a character belongs into both.

For category one all the candidates have already been mentioned.

IMO the most disturbing character in the Series is Euron as he easily fits into both categories, sadistic and psychopath on personal level and in the grand scheme of things (maybe Roose too but we dont know how screwed up he is on a personal level, Joffrey died too young so he doesnt count and Aerys I dont consider because he is not an active character).

I have to say that the scene on the Shield Islands is for me one of the most disturbing ones in the whole series. Pure Terror and humiliation but also very calculating on Euron's part. Euron reaches a level on the "sinister scale" which the likes of Ramsay, Joffrey, Gregor or Vargo will never reach because they are IMO just too simple minded.

I'm not sure that a person like Hitler (granted Evil) is any "more" evil than someone like Albert Fish (warning don't look him up unless you are not easily upset) just because they have the means to commit bigger atrocities. I understand the impact is greater, but I don't agree they are "less" evil because they impact fewer people. The OP asked for the most evil person, not the person who is responsible for the most harm

I'm not sure that a person like Hitler (granted Evil) is any "more" evil than someone like Albert Fish (warning don't look him up unless you are not easily upset) just because they have the means to commit bigger atrocities. I understand the impact is greater, but I don't agree they are "less" evil because they impact fewer people. The OP asked for the most evil person, not the person who is responsible for the most harm

I did not say anything like that. Just two different kind of evils. One on a individual level the other on an abstract level.

I did look him up. Fish would have been right at home in the Brave Companions.

1. Ramsay Bolton

2. Aerys II Targaryen

3. Gregor Clegane

4. Littlefinger

5. Vargo Hoat

6. Cersei Lannister

7. Walder Frey

8. Euron Greyjoy

9. Joffrey Baratheon

10. Roose Bolton

Runners ups: Tywin, Viserys, Polliver, Crastor

Cannot get why people are putting Joffrey on their list without Cersei having a place, when she has committed worse crimes and she is responsible for how he is environment wise.

Archived