NBA Offseason - LeBronapalooza

Trebla

So over the past 48 hours every one has waited with bated breath over what LeBron is going to do. The rumor mill has gone into overdrive that he was going back to Cleveland but now...

http://espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miamiheat/story/_/id/11201955/dan-gilbert-letter-issue-lebron-james

So now he's having second thoughts about going back to Cleveland because of the Dan Gilbert letter? Really? You lead Cleveland along, again, they clear cap space and then you start having second thoughts. Oh and don't say he doesn't control the rumor mill. All this stuff comes from his camp.

I give zero fucks about the whole process. People are allowing themselves to care too much though. Some of my friends camped outside his house out in Bath just in case he chose to show up and make a decision early morning. Yeah, the Cavs would be substantially better with him. But whether he comes back or he doesn't, fuck that guy.

I just wish there were more teams truly involved in the mix, thereby increasing the chances of a legitimate surprise happening. I don't think anyone would be shocked if he resigned with Miami or went back to Cleveland, but if he went to Houston, Phoenix, or the Clippers? Now there's a gamechanging shock.

http://espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miamiheat/story/_/id/11201955/dan-gilbert-letter-issue-lebron-james

So now he's having second thoughts about going back to Cleveland because of the Dan Gilbert letter? Really? You lead Cleveland along, again, they clear cap space and then you start having second thoughts. Oh and don't say he doesn't control the rumor mill. All this stuff comes from his camp.

Well, that article, like essentially everything written about this whole process, is a whole lot of nothing. An unnamed source says that the letter is a problem. Stunning news reporting there.

As for James "leading them on", I don't really know what else he could do. The Decision was a PR debacle, but this time he's been doing it the right way - don't talk to anybody until you make up your mind, then announce it. The teams and the news media get apoplectic having to wait, but he isn't leading anybody on. He didn't call up Gilbert and say "you better clear some cap space for me". Other than just straight up refusing the Cavs (and that would mean the decision is made) I don't know how he could lead them on any less.

I'm thinking that he already knows he wants to go back to Miami and the only reason he hasn't is because he can't figure out how to mend the heartbreak the Cleveland hopefuls will feel. Once he accepts there's nothing he can do for some people, he'll almost certainly re-sign.

One conspiracy theory I've heard is that the reason this has gone on for so long is that LeBron is playing chicken with Chris Bosh. He wants Bosh to sign with Houston so Melo can sign with him in Miami. If Bosh re-signs with Miami, LeBron jets to Cleveland.

I don't know how much sense it makes because trading Bosh for Melo doesn't solve the problems the Heat had in the finals...who guards the rim, who rebounds. Oh they will score for sure, though.

One conspiracy theory I've heard is that the reason this has gone on for so long is that LeBron is playing chicken with Chris Bosh. He wants Bosh to sign with Houston so Melo can sign with him in Miami. If Bosh re-signs with Miami, LeBron jets to Cleveland.

I don't know how much sense it makes because trading Bosh for Melo doesn't solve the problems the Heat had in the finals...who guards the rim, who rebounds. Oh they will score for sure, though.

I hadn't heard that, but it makes very little sense. Melo for Bosh is a lateral move at best. If anything, it exacerbates the Heat's weaknesses. Now, Melo for Wade would be a big upgrade, but I don't think that's in the cards.

Well, that article, like essentially everything written about this whole process, is a whole lot of nothing. An unnamed source says that the letter is a problem. Stunning news reporting there.

As for James "leading them on", I don't really know what else he could do. The Decision was a PR debacle, but this time he's been doing it the right way - don't talk to anybody until you make up your mind, then announce it. The teams and the news media get apoplectic having to wait, but he isn't leading anybody on. He didn't call up Gilbert and say "you better clear some cap space for me". Other than just straight up refusing the Cavs (and that would mean the decision is made) I don't know how he could lead them on any less.

Really, you don't think his agent and the Cavs front office have been talking? If the letter was an issue, it should have been made clear up front and he should never have started negotiating with them. His agent met with the Cavs last week.

You also need to know how this type of reporting goes. Take the recent case of A. J. Pierzynski. He was optioned to the minors by the Red Sox and then a story came out of a Boston newspaper chronicling what a bad teammate he was by several unnamed team sources. It was a hit job by the Red Sox. Teams, players, they use the media and they maintain relationships with them to get the information they want made public.

Really, you don't think his agent and the Cavs front office have been talking? If the letter was an issue, it should have been made clear up front and he should never have started negotiating with them. His agent met with the Cavs last week.

Of course they have been talking, he has been deciding between Miami and Cleveland. But I don't see how that is different from any other free agent ever.

You also need to know how this type of reporting goes. Take the recent case of A. J. Pierzynski. He was optioned to the minors by the Red Sox and then a story came out of a Boston newspaper chronicling what a bad teammate he was by several unnamed team sources. It was a hit job by the Red Sox. Teams, players, they use the media and they maintain relationships with them to get the information they want made public.

And? Yes, teams, players and hangers-on all use the media to get information out. But when there isn't any information out, the media doesn't just move on to actual news, instead they report nonsense like "things overheard in a cupcake shop". Sadly, that is an actual example, not hyperbole.

Of course they have been talking, he has been deciding between Miami and Cleveland. But I don't see how that is different from any other free agent ever.

And? Yes, teams, players and hangers-on all use the media to get information out. But when there isn't any information out, the media doesn't just move on to actual news, instead they report nonsense like "things overheard in a cupcake shop". Sadly, that is an actual example, not hyperbole.

a few days ago, someone on ESPN reported that Savannah's grandmother said LeBron isn't coming back.

LeBron's wife lol

I didn't even remember that Lebron was married. I really don't have a lot of skin in this game, but I am really glad I don't have to watch ESPN through this ordeal.

There's coming from a cupcake shop and there's coming from Chris Broussard, Yes, Broussard is a blowhard but he also has connections. If he says this is coming from LeBron's camp, I believe him.

One reason, if not the major reason, that LeBron James has taken so long to decide whether to play in Miami or Cleveland next season is the infamous letter Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert wrote about James after the superstar left Cleveland in 2010, sources said.

-----------

Sources close to James said Thursday that the four-time MVP wanted to speak with his family before making his decision. Many around the NBA have wondered what there was left to talk about, but James' concerns about the Gilbert letter is a plausible explanation

I didn't even remember that Lebron was married.

More than married, they've got a couple kids IIRC. Part of his dilemma could just be not wanting to uproot them from their school/preschool (if they're old enough), and being the best player in the world he gets to fully consider all the variables like that.

More than married, they've got a couple kids IIRC. Part of his dilemma could just be not wanting to uproot them from their school/preschool (if they're old enough), and being the best player in the world he gets to fully consider all the variables like that.

Yeah. One thing I'll say is that if LeBron want those boys to have the best education, he won't return to the Cavs. Akron Public Schools and Cleveland Metropolitan School District are terrible. I suppose he could send them to private school, though.

Archived