Arthur Dayne vs. Robert Baratheon

In their prime who do you think would win? Arthur Dayne has superior skill, grace, and swiftness. Robert baratheon, is a berserker, with superior stregth, and reach (with his warhammer) If Arthur had Dawn, he is unbeatable, but with an ordinary, or even valyrian steel sword, it evens the odds out. I would still go for Arthur though, out of skill, and swiftness. Though Robert would be a very scary opponent, especially if he was angry.

In their prime who do you think would win? Arthur Dayne has superior skill, grace, and swiftness. Robert baratheon, is a berserker, with superior stregth, and reach (with his warhammer) If Arthur had Dawn, he is unbeatable, but with an ordinary, or even valyrian steel sword, it evens the odds out. I would still go for Arthur though, out of skill, and swiftness. Though Robert would be a very scary opponent, especially if he was angry.

During Robert's Rebellion when Robert was in a berzerker rage I would take Bob and his hammer even if Dayne had Dawn. The war hammer is just a better weapon in full plate.

Arthur would try to slash at Robert, then realize that Robert is wearing plate. Arthur would then think "wait wtf? why am I using a sword on a battlefield dominated by plate armored opponents?" before he could Finnish the thought tho roberts hammer would be in his skull.

I would guess at Rob, due to the aforementioned properties of plate armour and a hammer that a 6'6 meathead could wield. I'm guessing Rob would resemble Hulk Hogan or someone similar when he was in his prime.

Lol, if Robert could even lift it without spilling his wine.

OP: Dawn is essentially the same as Valyrian Steel - it may have magical properties we are yet unaware of, but for the purposes of a mundane fight against fat boy Rob, they are no different. Also, Arthur would slaughter him. Plate armour or no :P

Dawn is still the sword he is most comfortable and familiar with. GRRM said that Dayne with Dawn would be unbeatable.

This would look something like Krillin vs Super Buu.

The greatest knight vs an average warrior with unorthodox weapon.

Dayne would win even without Dawn.

Daemon, Aemon, Barristan, Jaime, Sandor, Cregan, Corbray - On top of my head would rolfstomp this fat ogre.

I think you guys are underestimating Dayne's skill. He is like the best knight to ever live. It would be like Oberyn and The mountain. Speed and Skill win over brute strength and size. (Oberyn could have easily won if not his need for a confession)

Robert also has speed and skill. The speed gap between him and Dayne would be much smaller than Oberyn and the Mountain.

There's that to take into account too I suppose, but what I mean is that Dawn isn't inherently better than a VS sword that we know of - the op gave me the impression it was.

It would not be like Oberyn and the Mountain. Oberyn only won because of the huge margin in terms of speed between him and Gregor, there's no reason to suspect those tactics would have won against a more regular sized human. Dayne is probably a big guy in his own right (to wield a greatsword), he wouldn't have that same advantage over Robert.

There would be a reasonable enough gap, if Dawn is anything like Valyrian steel, than it would be a lot lighter than an average great sword. PLus Robert is in full plate and has massive fucking warhammer.

I doubt anyone could have beaten Robert at the Trident unless they used magical means. A mighty warrior in his prime who felt as if he had right on his side. Even Arthur wouldn't have bested him.

The KG speech at the ToJ -- "woe to the Usurper if we had been" -- makes me think that if they had seen Rhaegar in danger, they would've done whatever was necessary to defend him.

Robert also has speed and skill. The speed gap between him and Dayne would be much smaller than Oberyn and the Mountain.

But it would still be present. Robert was a big man, plus being in full plate, and wielding a massive warhammer. I think The reasonable enough speed gap, and Arthur's superior skill would give him the advantage.

I think you guys are underestimating Dayne's skill. He is like the best knight to ever live. It would be like Oberyn and The mountain. Speed and Skill win over brute strength and size. (Oberyn could have easily won if not his need for a confession)

I believe the Mountain is overrated by his peers. His size scares most, but I don't think he was that skilled. I don't think he would be as skilled as Rob. Strangely the Mountain also uses a two-handed sword rather than a hammer, and the Viper used poison to help slow the giant.

I also sort of believe the theory that his over active pituitary gland probably gives him headaches that make him have psychopathic tendencies, and to lose his temper.

I think in a percentage system, Rob would probably win more than lose against Arthur.

Dawn is a greatsword likely over five feet long, and it would have more reach than Robert's warhammer. Dayne is more experienced than Robert, and a shrewd fighter, there is a chance he could have killed Robert.

I think if he was at the Trident, when he saw Rhaegar killed, he would ride up and try to kill a badly wounded Robert to avenge Rhaegar.

Arthur would destroy Robert no matter what.Arthur was a much better fighter than Rhaegar and Rhaegar fight with Robert was pretty even so Robert wouldn't have a chance against Dayne

Is the fight described as even in the books?

Archived