Arthur Dayne vs. Robert Baratheon

You CAN'T CUT PLATE just like you are saying.

Actually, a hammer is a hundred times better if you're gonna fight against someone with plate. Although I think Arthur would win (he would behead him easily, Robert seems like the kind of guy who doesn't watch his defense), he could destroy Arthur with just one blow, something Arthur wouldn't be able to.

With a gorget and great helm I doubt it, I think Bobby B would win this through grappling and hooking with his hammer.

Arthur Dayne probably is the more skilled fighter, but too many people are overrating him and underrating Robert(as well as Rhaegar). Realistically, Robert would win. He's bigger, stronger, and has a far better weapon suited for taking out men in armor. But since this is a fantasy, Arthur would win.

That said, Robert would most definitely not get destroyed by Arthur as some people are saying. Robert was far more experienced than Arthur. He has the second best combat feats in the entire series, only behind Barristan. He is not slow or unskilled, as proven in his fight against Jon Connington. Robert actually does have a chance to win.

I love people that don't know what they are saying..Really Robert more experienced than Arthur?gosh

By the time Robert's Rebellion has ended they would be about the same and I would give Robert the edge since he was fighting actual soldiers, if you add in the Greyjoy Rebellion then Robert almost certainly has more. Dayne fought outlaws, had no role at all in Robert's Rebellion, and might of fought in the War of the Ninepenny Kings, I'm not sure how the timeline adds up but I don't remember any mention of him, only Barristan.

But a possible fight between them would be in RR and by that time Arthur is more experienced

Depends if Dayne is like Rhaegar and just shows up at the Trident, by then Robert has fought in 6 or so battles, and won 5 of them.

By the time Robert's Rebellion has ended they would be about the same and I would give Robert the edge since he was fighting actual soldiers, if you add in the Greyjoy Rebellion then Robert almost certainly has more. Dayne fought outlaws, had no role at all in Robert's Rebellion, and might of fought in the War of the Ninepenny Kings, I'm not sure how the timeline adds up but I don't remember any mention of him, only Barristan.

Bob's also a fan of the melee, we don't know how much experience he may have gained in tournaments in his 20 years leading up to the rebellion.

But a possible fight between them would be in RR and by that time Arthur is more experienced

Go through and list every battle dayne has fought in, then go through and list every battle Robert fought in during the rebellion.

Who really has the experience?

I love people that don't know what they are saying..Really Robert more experienced than Arthur?gosh

From what we know, Dayne participated in the battle with the Kingswood Brotherhood. That's the extent of his actual military experience we know. Robert has fought what, 10 times as many battles? Even by the time they would have met in combat at the Trident Robert has fought in five major battles and come out tops of 4 of them, and survived the other. And if you're just talking about combat training, what do you think Robert spent most of his time doing when he wasn't banging bitches and getting money? Smashing teeth for fun. I think Robert certainly was more experienced* than Dayne in actual combat. Not to mention Robert loved melees at tournies, which is closer to real combat than jousting, which was Daynes forte comparatively

*I'm not equating experience to skill or talent, but actual battles fought.

From what we know, Dayne participated in the battle with the Kingswood Brotherhood. That's the extent of his actual military experience we know. Robert has fought what, 10 times as many battles? Even by the time they would have met in combat at the Trident Robert has fought in five major battles and come out tops of 4 of them, and survived the other. And if you're just talking about combat training, what do you think Robert spent most of his time doing when he wasn't banging bitches and getting money? Smashing teeth for fun. I think Robert certainly was more experienced than Dayne in actual combat.

He definitely WAS more experienced, that much is fact. Robert has stormed a castle in which he was FIRST over the walls(gulltown) fought three pitched battles in one day, fought the vanguard of the reach, and then emerged from a brothel in the batttle of the bells and almost killed jon con. Dayne has nothing on that.

It is weird for someone so famed as Arthur to have only fought in one war, does having a fancy sword and killing one great warrior really all it takes to make you that much of a legend?

According to what we know so far, yes. Barristan makes no mention of Dayne being in the War of the Ninepenny Kings, and other than the Kingswood Brotherhood and the Duskendale Defiance there's nothing major that happened. Maybe Dayne put down a rebellion in Dorne that we don't know about, or maybe took out some other rebel dude in a low key type thing before becoming KG, but we don't know. What we're told is he's a great swordsman, participates in tournies, and fought the Smiling Knight.

It is weird for someone so famed as Arthur to have only fought in one war, does having a fancy sword and killing one great warrior really all it takes to make you that much of a legend?

What makes the smallfolk wetter, a guy with a magic sword that helps the commoners and does his duty, or a lush that whores around and uses a warhammer?

As far as I am concerned Robert is the best warrior in the series, and has the highest chances of beating any given opponent.

What makes the smallfolk wetter, a guy with a magic sword that helps the commoners and does his duty, or a lush that whores around and uses a warhammer?

As far as I am concerned Robert is the best warrior in the series, and has the highest chances of beating any given opponent.

Wow wow E-Ro...although I agree with 99% of yous posts, and especially the "warfare" ones, don't you think that statement is a little...exaggerated?

Robert, at his prime, is a 2 m (6'6 ft) and 100kg (220 pounds) guy with an extraordinary physical form and a dangerous hammer...but he strikes me as the kind of warrior who doesn't watch his back. Yes, if anyone (Arthur, Selmy, etc) gets smashed by his hammer, he's done. But I'm pretty sure there are faster fighters out there who could just made him a version of the Mountain...

Wow wow E-Ro...although I agree with 99% of yous posts, and especially the "warfare" ones, don't you think that statement is a little...exaggerated?

Robert, at his prime, is a 2 m (6'6 ft) and 100kg (220 pounds) guy with an extraordinary physical form and a dangerous hammer...but he strikes me as the kind of warrior who doesn't watch his back. Yes, if anyone (Arthur, Selmy, etc) gets smashed by his hammer, he's done. But I'm pretty sure there are faster fighters out there who could just made him a version of the Mountain...

Isn't this a 1v1 scenario tho? Why would he need to watch his back? If someone tried to circle around him in a 1v1 he would just... turn around?

The smiling knight was a great fighter, being an outlaw doesn't make you weak.

No but as we see they try to avoid fighting pitched battles, are probably poorly armed(comparatively), and a squire, albeit a very skilled one, was able to hold off the Smiling Knight.

an innate swordsman against a dude with an enormous warhammer... If both on their prime I will go for Robert. He isn't just very strong, he also has the reach and the advantage of heavy plate on his side.

In his prime, I guess even Jaime would fear Robert.

Isn't this a 1v1 scenario tho? Why would he need to watch his back? If someone tried to circle around him in a 1v1 he would just... turn around?

Sorry I didn't really say what I wanted to say...it's a bit late here in Spain...I meant that Robert is the kind of guy who doesn't watch his defense, always going straight forward. A faster rival could just surround him, attack the joints and weaknesses, ala Oberyn with The Mountain.

Archived