Absent Tysha

House Holter

Was anybody else annoyed about Tysha being leftout of the conversation between Tyrion and Jaime in the prison escape scene in the TV show? Dont get me wrong i loved the scene in the show and i thought it was really touching and perfectly acted by both the actors and actually bought a lump to my throat I just thought they way it played out in the book was better. It was the final blow to Tyrion and really must of hurt to find out the only family member that actually loved him truly did betray him in the most hideous way and was what i believe the deciding factor in him killing Tywin with Shae just being the icing on the top. Plus series 5 could of played on it a bit.

Does anybody else have any thoughts in this or any possible reasons as to why the producers changed it from the book?

Was anybody else annoyed about Tysha being leftout of the conversation between Tyrion and Jaime in the prison escape scene in the TV show? Dont get me wrong i loved the scene in the show and i thought it was really touching and perfectly acted by both the actors and actually bought a lump to my throat I just thought they way it played out in the book was better. It was the final blow to Tyrion and really must of hurt to find out the only family member that actually loved him truly did betray him in the most hideous way and was what i believe the deciding factor in him killing Tywin with Shae just being the icing on the top. Plus series 5 could of played on it a bit.

Does anybody else have any thoughts in this or any possible reasons as to why the producers changed it from the book?

My thinking is that it was changed in the show because in the books it does not end up significantly affecting Tyrion's arc.

If, in the books, Tyrion's relationship with Jamie is either no longer important or not significantly changed by the Tysha revelation, and if Tysha makes no appearance at any point in the story, the whole thing is ultimately extraneous.

Extraneous means that the show would have had to go to some effort to remind the audience about a character they had heard nothing about for quite a while and add to the list of Jamie's horrible deeds for something that serves no future purpose.

My thinking is that it was changed in the show because in the books it does not end up significantly affecting Tyrion's arc.

If, in the books, Tyrion's relationship with Jamie is either no longer important or not significantly changed by the Tysha revelation, and if Tysha makes no appearance at any point in the story, the whole thing is ultimately extraneous.

Extraneous means that the show would have had to go to some effort to remind the audience about a character they had heard nothing about for quite a while and add to the list of Jamie's horrible deeds for something that serves no future purpose.

My reading of it as well

By the time Tyrion makes it make to westeros (assuming he does) Jamie will probably already be dead. Tyrion had reason enough to kill Tywin in any case.

It's the one change they've made in the show that I'm really not good with. That one bugs me. It changes Tyrion, it changes Jaime, it changes their relationship, and that's one of the most important and compelling relationships in the series.

I also take it as a spoiler, because it makes me think that D&D know from their conversations with GRRM that Tyrion and Jaime will never see each other again. That's the only way you could make a change this big between them never have any repercussions from it.

Not to mention that it really took a lot of the oomph out of Tyrion's entire murdering spree. In the books, Tyrion is in a blind rage when he does that; he's been living his whole life full of rage at Tywin for what he had done - and now he discovers it was actually so much worse. That knowledge is unbearable for him, and it is why he chooses now to kill Tywin.

Don't forget "she's been f***ing Lancel, Kettleback and Moonboy for all I know"

Well yes, but neither Moonboy nor Kettleblack are in the show either and Lancel has not been seen for more than a full season. So similarly problematic.

I think D&D have opted to exclude Tysha's story for some reason but considering Tyrion's chapters in ADwD consists entirely of:

"Wherever whores go...Wherever whores go...Wherever whores go...Wherever whores go...Wherever whores go...Wherever whores go...Wherever whores go...Wherever whores go...Wherever whores go...Wherever whores go...Wherever whores go...Wherever whores go...Wherever whores go."

I'm not too fussed about that tbh

I think D&D have opted to exclude Tysha's story for some reason but considering Tyrion's chapters in ADwD consists entirely of:

I'm not too fussed about that tbh

It's funny, I was listening to the Cast of Kings podcast about The Children episode and the female host said the line Tyrion constantly repeats was so beloved by book readers. I actually yelled "What?!"

Although it was nice to see Tyrion and Jaime part on such good terms, Tysha really should have been in there as it is such a significant event/twist that drives Tyrion into rage. I'm surprised that it was omitted, given that she was mentioned regularly during the first three seasons, and I thought it was hinted at in this season when Tyrion told Jaime at the start of episode #8 - "yes I feel in love with a whore"; I was expecting him to add the word "again", and Jaime looking uncomfortable because he knows that the first one wasn't really a whore. Also, without the Tysha reveal, I can't see why Tyrion would want to go and confront his father, which is a risky business; I would have thought he'd be keener on killing Cersei, or most likely of all, make sure that he gets out of King's Landing by leaving immediately.

I take it that that means in the show, Tysha really was a whore.

Don't forget "she's been f***ing Lancel, Kettleback and Moonboy for all I know"

So? Literally ANY character in KL could tell Jaime that. Or he could figure it out on his own. That piece of information is not a big loss.

So? Literally ANY character in KL could tell Jaime that. Or he could figure it out on his own. That piece of information is not a big loss.

Exactly. Using that line in Tyrion's escape would have required setting up Cersei's infidelity first, which they did not do (much) in season 4. So it wouldn't have worked.

Instead they will show her sex life in season 5 building up to her arrest, which IMO makes a lot of sense. Jamie will find out about it some other way and it won't matter one bit.

Archived