Absent Tysha

House Holter

Yeah, I'm glad I won't be hearing that mantra of the whereabouts of whores.

Also I didn't like that scene in the books, I much prefer Jaime and Tyrion's farewell in the tv series.

Tyrion has gone through enough in the last two seasons. Almost killed (at Cercei's orders) in the Battle of Blackwater. Having all the credit / glory taken by Tywin. Having to give up Shae. Being locked up and put on trial. Being refused by Bronn. Being betrayed by Shae. Being sentenced to death. Killing Shae and Tywin.

Is this not enough suffering for anyone? You enjoying seeing suffering so much that you must see more?

For me I'm glad there a little joy in Tyrion's story (if only a very little piece).

Yeah, I'm glad I won't be hearing that mantra of the whereabouts of whores.

Also I didn't like that scene in the books, I much prefer Jaime and Tyrion's farewell in the tv series.

Tyrion has gone through enough in the last two seasons. Almost killed (at Cercei's orders) in the Battle of Blackwater. Having all the credit / glory taken by Tywin. Having to give up Shae. Being locked up and put on trial. Being refused by Bronn. Being betrayed by Shae. Being sentenced to death. Killing Shae and Tywin.

Is this not enough suffering for anyone? You enjoying seeing suffering so much that you must see more?

For me I'm glad there a little joy in Tyrion's story (if only a very little piece).

i hated that change. made Shae and Tywins death pointless

Did it really?

Tywin does many things to Tyrion - on the show and in the books. He denies Tyrion CR when Tyrion claims it. Tyrion IS the rightful heir after all.

He threatens to have the next wh**e hanged he'd find in Tyrion's bed.

He's taking away the office of the Hand after the Battle of Blackwater.

I think that show Tyrion at least fell in love with Shae. Otherwise he wouldn't repeatedly remind her that they've come to a dangerous place.

Tyrion was more than disappointed to find the woman/wh**e he loved in his father's bed. Especially after that threat about hanging.

Tyrion's life was at stake after the trial by combat - and in the sight of the Seven he IS guilty. Tyrion couldn't be certain that his father wouldn't have him executed after his "confession".

I don't say that Tywin deserved getting shot in the privy, but Tyrion had to do some "justice" and the fact that Shae calls Tywin "my lion" just added to Tyrion's misery. That at some point was Shae's term of endearment for Tyrion.

Like I said above, I missed Tysha being mentioned. But for me that change makes sense.

We don't know what GRRM told D&D about the outcome of ASoIaF.

Because ultimately Varys traveling with Tyrion also changes quite a lot.

It's the one change they've made in the show that I'm really not good with. That one bugs me. It changes Tyrion, it changes Jaime, it changes their relationship, and that's one of the most important and compelling relationships in the series.

I also take it as a spoiler, because it makes me think that D&D know from their conversations with GRRM that Tyrion and Jaime will never see each other again. That's the only way you could make a change this big between them never have any repercussions from it.

Not to mention that it really took a lot of the oomph out of Tyrion's entire murdering spree. In the books, Tyrion is in a blind rage when he does that; he's been living his whole life full of rage at Tywin for what he had done - and now he discovers it was actually so much worse. That knowledge is unbearable for him, and it is why he chooses now to kill Tywin.

I had a similar thought, particularly given the line about Tyrion could forgive Jaime almost anything. Up until then (seeing the different scene in the show.) I thought that maybe they might see eachother again. Now I find it unlikely. I guess it would have been unlikley, anyway, for both of them to survive until the end where they might like hang out and get a beer, or something.

Sure thing, the guy who allows Cersei to manipulate his trial so he will look like the devil in KL (not allowing him to talk back to Meryn, allowing Pycelle to call Joffrey an innocent child despite knowing better etc.), has his first wife gangraped, constantly treats him like shit despite doing good things to protect his family, forces him to marry Sansa and threatens the woman who brought him a little happiness in KL.

Yeah, he has absolutely no reason at all to hate Tywin's guts. /sarcasm

The thing with removing Tysha isn't that is necessarily lessens Tyrion's motives for killing his father. At least not directly. He has plenty of motives to do that. I think finding out that Jaime lied to him for a very long time is what really pushes him over the edge. Now, does it work without that? Yeah, it does but I think it's a lot better with it. Bear in mind that Jaime was the only member of Tyrion's immediate family that gave a damn about him at all. He looked up to Jaime in a lot of ways and cared about him. Finding out that he lied really destroys that last support structure he has to his family.

Plus, I think Tyrion's story going forward makes more sense if he is angry at his whole family. I mean it still works but I think it lost a really powerful emotional beat to get there.

Archived