G--DK-ND(BBHN)XI

BranTheBuilder

It just seemed odd that one would have to make exceptions for one thing and not others...

Wait, what am I saying? Of course there are exceptions. What was I thinking, looking for logical self-consistency in the writings of the Yeard? Things work the way they do because that's how they work, right?

Anyway, I think that peanut butter is about as American as something can be, however, and anyone criticizing it is itching for a fight.

Wolf Maid has become the very voice of reason on this thread. Listen to her and you shall receive moral celery. I personally think that moral celery tastes great with cream cheese.

As long as it's non-fat cream cheese. :D

If you smear moral celery with immoral peanut butter is the combined snack moral or immoral?

smearing moral celery with immoral peanut butter would create a contridiction. scince a contridiction cannot exist then the celery, the peanut butter, and several square miles surrounding groud zero of the unholy food concotion would be vaporised in a tremendous fireball.

You are correct, ME'. Contradictions do not exist in TG's (BBNC) world. I applaud you for your moral celery. :)

Terry Goodkind has now infected Deadwood. I don't know how many of you watch the show but tonight a character took a page right out of Kahlan's book on getting things done. She unbuttoned her top and her breasts were hanging out as she walked into a hotel where she wanted to murder one of the guests. Presumably everyone was staring at her chest rather then the gun in her hands. Then she knocks on the guys door and when he opens it she's got her skirt lifted up so he can stare at that too. Unfortunately this elaborate plan of attack must've affected her aim as she only hit the guy in the arm.

In case you've been wondering what Mystar has been up to... He gives tips on good prose, which he thinks he's qualified to do, as he's a published author.

EDIT - Trimmed down to make this post a little less stalkerish.

EDIT2 - and by the way, that particular blog belongs to Pat of Fantasy Hotlist fame, also known as a lemming of discord. He's writing a novel of his own and has posted long excerpts on the net. I bumped into Mystar's involvement by an accident. Apparently I'm not the only one who's been checking back on that site.

Interesting. Apart from being a lemming of discord, hiding amongst the weeds where I feel safe, what exactly is he saying I can't come close to? I'm not sure I get what he's talking about. And why am I trying to understand that troll in the first place?

Meh. Enough about mystar, lest we get modded. I think we should take on board his useful biological data about the habits of lemmings, discard the rest, and get back to the serious business of analysing the Works of TG (BBNC). If we can bring ourselves to stop hiding in the weeds for a moment, at least...

I think that was definitely too stalkerish Nerdanel and a Mod would tell you that we are not supposed to post personal insults about posters on other websites and all that. But my God, Mystar invites such outrage upon himself with his antagonizing writing style. The gall he has of posting comments like this on somebody's blog is just mind boggling. Mystar is the very model definition of a Troll. I for one am glad he does not post on this board very often, I would hate to see this thread degrade into a mass slanging match of insults.

How about we get back to business discussing the appalling literary quality of TG with another QotD. What do you have for us today MM?

Good morning and welcome to the Monday edition of the Terry Goodkind Quote of the Day. I had a blissfully Terry-free weekend, and I drank a lot to boot, hope everyone else here had an equally glorious time. Today’s QotD returns to Richard, Verna, and Du Chaillu’s escape from the lands of the Majendie. As they enter Du Chaillu’s land Verna tells Richard that Du Chaillu will try to have him killed and that there are thirty Baka Ban Mana surrounding them. Richard is not happy, so you know a lot of people are about to die.

“Thirty.†In frustration, he folded his arms. “How am I to defend against thirty, by myself?†<Verna’s magic doesn’t work against these people. Snip.>

She turned her brown eyes on him once more. “Richard, I have used my Han to seek an answer. The only thing my Han tells me is that you must use the prophecy to survive. You’ve named yourself the bringer of death, as the prophecy foretells. The prophecy is about you.

“You must use the prophecy if you are to defeat that many. The prophecy says the holder of the sword is able to call the dead forth, call the past into the present. Somehow, that’s what you must do in order to survive – call forth the dead, call the past into the present.â€

<I wonder what’s going to happen now that Verna’s mentioned the prophecy? Snip.>

“Are they good fighters?†he asked.

“The Baka Ban Mana are without peer. They have special fighters, blade masters, who train from sunup to sundown, every day. And then they train by the light of the moon. Fighting is almost a religion to them.

“When I was young, I saw a Baka Ban Mana blade master who had gotten into the garrison in Tanimura kill nearly fifty well-armed soldiers before he was taken down. They fight like they are invincible spirits. Some people believe they are.â€

“That’s just great,†he said under his breath.

<Big snip, he’s now surrounded.>

Richard could hardly believe this was happening. “Du Chaillu, I saved your life. Why would you want to murder us?â€

“The Baka Ban Mana are not here to murder you. We are here to execute you for stealing our sacred lands.â€

“Du Chaillu, I’ve never even seen your land before. I had nothing to do with whatever happened.â€

“Magic men took our lands from us. They laid down our laws. You are a magic man. You bear the sins of those magic men before you. You even bear their mark, to prove it. You must do as all before, who we could catch. You must face the circle. You must die.â€

“Du Chaillu, I told you the killing must stop.â€

“It is easy to proclaim the killing must end, when you are the one about to die.â€

<Snip>

“The killing cannot end because of what you have done. It can only end when the spirits dance with us.â€

“What does that mean?â€

“It means we must kill you or what has been spoken will be brought to pass – the Dark Spirit will escape his prison.â€

Richard pointed with the spear. “Du Chaillu, I don’t want to kill any of you, but I will defend myself. Please stop now, before anyone else is hurt. Don’t make me kill any of you. Please.â€

“Had you tried to run, we would have put spears in you back, but since you choose to stand, you have earned the right to face us. You will die anyway, as have all before whom we have caught. If you do not fight us, it will be made quick, and you will not suffer. You have my word.â€

<Snip>

“Don’t do this, Du Chaillu! Stop it now, before anyone else is hurt!â€

“Do not fight us, witch man, and we will grant you a quick death. I owe you at least that.â€

Richard’s chest heaved; the muscles in his jaw flexed as he gritted his teeth. The chanting increased in speed, and the circles of men moved faster.

Richard glared at Du Chaillu as she stood on the rock. “I disavow responsibility for what is to happen, Du Chaillu. It is you who presses this. What happens is your responsibility. You bring it!â€

She spoke softly, her voice filled with regret. “We are many. You are but one. I am sorry, Richard.â€

“Only a fool would have confidence in those odds, Du Chaillu. They are not what they seem. You cannot all come at me at once. You can only attack one, or two, or at most three at a time. The odds are not what they seem to your eyes.†Richard wondered dimly where his own words had come from.

He could see her nod in the moonlight. “You understand the dance of death, witch man.â€

“I’m not a witch man, Du Chaillu! I am Richard, the Seeker of Truth. I’m not going with this Sister to learn to be a witch man by choice. I’m a prisoner. You know that. But I will defend myself.â€

Du Chaillu watched him in the moonlight. “The spirits know I am sorry for you, Seeker Richard, but you must die.â€

“Don’t be sorry for me, Du Chaillu. Be sorry for those of you who are going to die this night, for no good reason.â€

“You have not seen the Baka Ban Mana fight. We will not be touched. Only you will taste steel. Dismiss your concern; we are safe. You will have no killing to regret.â€

Richard loosed the sword’s magic, the rage.

The two circles moved and chanted faster, spun their weapons faster. The storm of the sword’s anger thundered through the Seeker. Even in the grip of the rage, the wanton need to kill, he knew it wasn’t going to be enough. They were too many. And he had never seen anyone handle weapons the way these people did.

Heedlessly, he pulled more of the magic to him. Pulled until the mercilessness of the hate pounded in his head and nearly made him sick. He drew it into the depths of his soul.

Richard stood still in the center of the moving circles. He touched the gleaming blade to his forehead. The steel was cold against his hot skin, against his sweat.

“Blade, be true this day.†<snicker>

He called the magic onward. Before he even realized what he was doing, he pulled off his shirt and threw it aside, to be free of any hindrance to his movement. Why would he think to do that? It seemed the right thing to do, but he had no idea where the thought came from. He drew the blade up straight before him. His muscles flexed and tightened, glistening with sweat.

He found the center of himself, that place of quiet, of focus. He sought his Han within the white-hot center of his rage.

Use what you have, a voice win him said. Use what is there. Let it loose.

<Snip, Richard starts to figure it out.>

Suddenly, he knew what the prophecy meant.

<snip>

Others had used the Sword of Truth’s magic, and in the bargain, the magic retained a memory of their talents at fighting, of every move in which it had ever been used. The talent of untold hundreds who had wielded this blade, men and women alike, was there for the taking. The skill of both the good and the wicked was bound into the magic.

In his stillness, he saw the first come from the left.

Be a feather, not a rock. Float on the wind of the storm.

<Snip. Richard defends himself but does so by trying to disarm the Baka Ban Mana without killing them. It proves to be a stupid thing to do. He gets a nasty cut on his ribs from one of them, so now they’re in deep trouble.>

His own blood being drawn summoned the sword’s magic to his defense – the rage, the skill of those who had held it before him. Their essence seared through him, and he couldn’t hold it back. There was no choice anymore. It overwhelmed his restraint. He had given them every chance. He was beyond retrieval, now.

Bringer of death.

The swordsmen rushed in a deadly wave.

He loosed the magic with a vengeance. The stalling was over. The barriers down, he danced with death, now.

The night erupted in a warm mist of blood. He heard himself screaming and he felt himself moving; he saw men and women falling, as disembodied heads tumbled across the ground. The lust for it raged through him.

No blade touched him again. He countered every strike as if he had seen it a thousand times before, as if he had always known what to do. Every attack brought a sure and swift death to the attacker. Bone fragments and blood exploded through the night air. Gore sluiced across the ground. The horror of it all melted together into one long killing image.

Bringer of death.

<Snip, they’re all dead, all thirty of them. Richard goes to Du Chaillu, quite pissed off.>

Richard, his rage burning hotly, strode to her. He lifted Du Chaillu’s chin with the sword’s point.

Her dark, eyes started up into his. “The Caharin has come.â€

~Terry Goodkind, Stone of Tears

I am finding that increasingly, I finish reading QotD and then think to myself "that's just stupid". Maybe I need to lower my expectations and realise that it's always going to be stupid. It's not even like hmmm well he could of killed 30 men I suppose but it's not very likely. No. It's just so ridiculous there is nothing to say other than :bs:

“Only a fool would have confidence in those odds, Du Chaillu. They are not what they seem. You cannot all come at me at once. You can only attack one, or two, or at most three at a time. The odds are not what they seem to your eyes.â€

:lmao:

Terry Goodkind does it again. Odds count for nothing if you have writen yourself in the novel and you want to win. Nothing as powerful as ignorance in Goodkind's mind, as if three against one weren't already terrible odds. The moral: if you are in trouble, just be angry.

:lmao:

Terry Goodkind does it again. Odds count for nothing if you have writen yourself in the novel and you want to win. Nothing as powerful as ignorance in Goodkind's mind, as if three against one weren't already terrible odds. The moral: if you are in trouble, just be angry.

What's even better to me then this is how when Richard is letting his treasonous sympathies get in the way of slaughtering 30 people, he is unable to fight well and gets cut. Of course when he realizes the truth that he must butcher all 30 of these people for the violence to end then the night turns into "a warm mist of blood".

It's all so predictable at this point though.

Richard glared at Du Chaillu as she stood on the rock. “I disavow responsibility for what is to happen, Du Chaillu. It is you who presses this. What happens is your responsibility. You bring it!â€

He should use this one more often. If only he had disavowed responsbility before kicking Violet in the jaw or killing a bunch of peace protestors we lemmings of discord would have no leg to stand on when we criticized these parts.

Good morning and welcome to the Monday edition of the Terry Goodkind Quote of the Day. I had a blissfully Terry-free weekend, and I drank a lot to boot, hope everyone else here had an equally glorious time. Today’s QotD returns to Richard, Verna, and Du Chaillu’s escape from the lands of the Majendie. As they enter Du Chaillu’s land Verna tells Richard that Du Chaillu will try to have him killed and that there are thirty Baka Ban Mana surrounding them. Richard is not happy, so you know a lot of people are about to die.

“I disavow responsibility for what is to happen, Du Chaillu. It is you who presses this. What happens is your responsibility. You bring it!â€

~Terry Goodkind, Stone of Tears

Is TG(BBHN) a married man? I am curious because any married man would know that this sort of shit would never go over in an argument with a spouse. If I tried that I'd get slashed to ribbons like Richard facing off against the Segulah First.

For what purpose did these incredibly capable fighters dance around in circles for what must be 10 minutes of conversation, presumably exhausing themselves as a result?

The part where Richard lectures about how 30 people can't technically attack him at once was the best. I always enjoy having obvious facts explained to me through contrived dialogue.

well, once again the Yearded one has shown his total and uttel lack of uinderstanding of how combat works.

it is EASY to have more than three people attacking a single foe... in fact with good fighters it is Essential; the best fighte I know can only be beaten if you attack with at least 3 friends... and yes, we do not get in each other's way....

eejit.

I'll once again offer to tech him, all he needs do is come to Scotland and I'll feed him, buy him a pint and show him the error of his ways... one afternoon's training with us and he'll undserstand...

eejit.

I think he is married...

Why is Richard calling DuChaillu by name everytime he adresses here? Is he sfraid that he'll forget who he's talking to in mid-sentence?

I hear that people recruiting new people to sects always use first names. Is DuChaillu a first name?

well, once again the Yearded one has shown his total and uttel lack of uinderstanding of how combat works.

it is EASY to have more than three people attacking a single foe... in fact with good fighters it is Essential; the best fighte I know can only be beaten if you attack with at least 3 friends... and yes, we do not get in each other's way....

eejit.

I'll once again offer to tech him, all he needs do is come to Scotland and I'll feed him, buy him a pint and show him the error of his ways... one afternoon's training with us and he'll undserstand...

eejit.

But Bran you are overlooking one crucial fact in all this:

"I am a war wizard, remember?"

- Richard Rahl

:D

I hear that people recruiting new people to sects always use first names. Is DuChaillu a first name?

Apparently, "Du Chaillu" is her name. There are no "first names" and "last names" in the Baka Ban Mana. This confused Richard as well. It was a few QOTDs ago.

“I’m going to get you out of this. My name is Richard. What’s yours?â€

Her eyes narrowed. “Why do you wish to know?â€

“Well, if I’m going to take you out of here, I need to know what to call you. I can’t call you ‘woman.’â€

She surveyed him silently for a moment. “I am Du Chaillu.â€

“Do I call you Du? Or Chaillu? Or Du Chaillu?â€

Puzzlement wrinkled her brow. “Du Chaillu. That is my name.â€

Archived