Barristan sent to inhibit Dany's rise to power

Trogdor Targaryen

But they had no way of predicting what Dany was going to do with Jorah. In fact, she's ready to forgive him when he get back from the sewers; it's Jorah and his refusal to own up to his mistakes that causes Dany to send him away. They couldn't possibly predict that Jorah wouldn't fall to his knees and beg forgiveness. Actually, you almost expect him to because of how devoted he is to her. He doesn't, under any circumstances, want to leave her side. So even if they did send Selmy to break up with dynamic duo, they can't predict how Dany will react to the news because Dany is...unpredictable. Hence not going back to Pentos.

I think that it is actually likely that if someone was familiar with Jorah and his values that it is actually predictable that he would act like that. Jorah didn't grovel for forgiveness because from his perspective he hasn't betrayed her. When he agreed to inform on the mad kings offspring he didn't know Dany yet, so how could he betray her? If anything, he feels she should be thanking him for abandoning his own cause in to save her, which is an obvious display of devotion. In fact, we see that Jorah is still operating under the mindset that he just has to display enough devotion and Dany will just let him back in by how he took Tyrion just to impress her. I think it's possible to look at Jorah's past and know that his values would lead him to react this way (perhaps this same narrow sensibility could have attributed to his marriage falling apart, but he doesn't see it).

I think it is also notable how Barristan probably knew it was Jorah who was informing, but didn't try to get him away from Dany until his own secret came out. If he was so concerned with protecting her from Jorah then why wouldn't he mention it before she took his strategic advice? Because keeping his secrets is more important than protecting the queen. It's not more important than his "honor" though. He couldn't be knighted as he'd already been knighted, but since the secret is out he's gotta brag that he's a better knight than Jorah. It must be hard to pretend to be nobody and never get the props you feel you deserve for sooo long.

I think that it is actually likely that if someone was familiar with Jorah and his values that it is actually predictable that he would act like that. Jorah didn't grovel for forgiveness because from his perspective he hasn't betrayed her. When he agreed to inform on the mad kings offspring he didn't know Dany yet, so how could he betray her? If anything, he feels she should be thanking him for abandoning his own cause in to save her, which is an obvious display of devotion. In fact, we see that Jorah is still operating under the mindset that he just has to display enough devotion and Dany will just let him back in by how he took Tyrion just to impress her. I think it's possible to look at Jorah's past and know that his values would lead him to react this way (perhaps this same narrow sensibility could have attributed to his marriage falling apart, but he doesn't see it).

I think it is also notable how Barristan probably knew it was Jorah who was informing, but didn't try to get him away from Dany until his own secret came out. If he was so concerned with protecting her from Jorah then why wouldn't he mention it before she took his strategic advice? Because keeping his secrets is more important than protecting the queen. It's not more important than his "honor" though. He couldn't be knighted as he'd already been knighted, but since the secret is out he's gotta brag that he's a better knight than Jorah. It must be hard to pretend to be nobody and never get the props you feel you deserve for sooo long.

I see what you're saying and I agree--Jorah's downfall is his own arrogance, he believes his and Dany's mutual affection for each other will save him. But like I said, it's DANY you can't predict. She is, by and large, unpredictable. Something Illyrio mentions to Tyrion in ADWD; she was supposed to be a good girl and get on the ships he provided and sail home. But she chose to listen to Jorah and go to Slaver's Bay and to say "to hell with Illyrio." They might be depending on Barristan outing Jorah but they're taking the risk that Dany will react in a way they want her to; something she has yet to do in any capacity.

Archived