Character's not to be F*cked with - Top 3

A guy who has over 4,700 posts on a forum related to a fantasy series is going to call this conversation geeky :dunno:

In all fairness, very few people generate thousands of posts talking fantasy series... Most of that stuff comes down here in General Chat. I haven't been north of Miscellaneous in years. That way lies madness.

You speak true, Rhom, and I apologize for the lack of quoting but the option isn't working on this piss-poor computer. I suppose all chat about pop culture can be labeled as geeky. I like to embrace it :cool4:

Professor Flitwick-don't let his kind nature fool you, he can beat most wizard ass(former duel champion).

Hagrid- He half Giant and can tame some of the most dangerous creatures. He also Strong.

Bard- He was the man that kill Smaug

Of all the bad asses in all things pop culture? I can think of about 32 I'd throw on there before I'd mention anyone in the hp universe.

I just realized how fucking geeky this conversation is.

Fuck it. I'm going to go throw some ladders.

What are you talking about? Even Dobby the House Elf could wreck anybody on your list. This is a world where 17 year olds can learn in school how to torture, control or kill somebody by saying one or two words and pointing a stick.

1. Kvothe. He fucked a goddess, killed a king (it's the kingkiller chronicle), used some badass magic, killed a freaking dragon, and generally dicked around for years. At like 16. I shudder to think what he does in book 3.

2. Rand al'Thor, pre-book 12. When Rand was going crazy, he was freaking CRAZY. He basically blew up a city at one point to kill one person. He can use insane amounts of magic and can do basically whatever he wants. Dont mess with him.

3. Hoid. We know nothing about him, except that he has appeared on multiple worlds in the cosmere. I really would not want to mess with him.

Honorable mention: Dany. She has 3 dragons. Enough said. But, Kvothe could kill them, Rand wouldn't even flinch against them, and Hoit has probably been to her world at some point, played with a dragon, then got bored and left.

In all fairness, very few people generate thousands of posts talking fantasy series... Most of that stuff comes down here in General Chat. I haven't been north of Miscellaneous in years. That way lies madness.

Madness is but the beginning of the suffering and horrors that lie outside our safe boarders. Shit, I read the entertainment thread like, once, and I woke up naked on my roof howling at the moon.

Also, whoever said Ellen Ripley wins the thread. You fuck with Ripley, SHE KILLS YOUR SPECIES.

Also it probably doesn't even need to be said, but CONAN THE MOTHERFUCKING BARBARIAN.

Of all the bad asses in all things pop culture? I can think of about 32 I'd throw on there before I'd mention anyone in the hp universe.

Well, I obviously didn't pick any HP chaps or chappeses and probably wouldn't, but even though it's a kid's story the nature of it does mean some of the characters have to be pretty badass. Particularly Dumbledore, Snape, and Neville L. Ongbottom.

Nothing wrong with a bit of unashamed geekery, in moderation...

ETA: Squirrel Girl.

1. Count of Monte Cristo.

This guy is the ultimate character. He goes from being a relative innocent to a soul chugging spirit of vengeance that makes ghost rider look like a bag of broken dicks. His revenge is slow burn, a true long game. He finds where each of his enemies is weakest and then slowly tears there world apart, sitting so close to them as they are destroyed that he is literally drinking their tears and using their fear musk to rub on his balls. He is terrifying. And he drives some of his enemies near to madness.

Oh nice, I have not read The Count of Monte Cristo in years and totally forgot about him. Same goes for d'Artagnan, Athos, Aramis, and Porthos. I have not read Alexandre Dumas sense college. I had thought about some of my favorite Hemingway and Twain characters, but they don't really fall into this category.

I do not venture far into fantasy, just can not seem to get into many of them. I am addicted to ASOIAF (and come from the north, the general chatter about the books, it can get scary, just venturing down here to Literature and Entertainment on occassion) as well as Lord of the RIngs, but not a lot else has hooked me. I tried Wheel of Time and just could not get into it. I have stayed with the Political Thriller genre, but with the passing of both Tom Clancy and Vince Flynn, I have been trying to expand my interest as I find many of the other author not up to their caliber.

snip

I have stayed with the Political Thriller genre, but with the passing of both Tom Clancy and Vince Flynn, I have been trying to expand my interest as I find many of the other author not up to their caliber.

Off topic, but have you tried Robert Ludlum and James Patterson? They can be hit and miss, but when Patterson is on form he's brilliant.

Off topic, but have you tried Robert Ludlum and James Patterson? They can be hit and miss, but when Patterson is on form he's brilliant.

Robert Ludlum no, James Patterson, a little but the lawyer stuff never really appealed to me. Maybe Spy Thriller would be a better description. I'd be more interested in more books like ASOIAF, fantasy, but not over the top. Where the names are pronounceable and magic and whatnot are more a side note then the large, over arching theme. If that makes sense.

Robert Ludlum no, James Patterson, a little but the lawyer stuff never really appealed to me. Maybe Spy Thriller would be a better description. I'd be more interested in more books like ASOIAF, fantasy, but not over the top. Where the names are pronounceable and magic and whatnot are more a side note then the large, over arching theme. If that makes sense.

Patterson has a series of books called 'Private', I think that would be the sort of thing you're after. And Ludlum wrote the Bourne books, they're much deeper than the films.

For casual fantasy you should try Brent Weeks, he almost writes at the pace of a thriller but with a fantasy background, really good author IMO.

1. Gollum - I mean he gets cheated in one game of riddles and proceeds to devote the next 80 years of his life or so trying to get payback.

2. Jack Torrance from The Shining... you know even the smallest things can set him off...

3. Jadis - The Chronicles of Narnia; she beat up some rozzers with a pole she bent off a lamppost..

That is an interesting list. I like the case you make for Gollum. I do not remember Jadis, though I only read the first book in the series after the movie came out.

Patterson has a series of books called 'Private', I think that would be the sort of thing you're after. And Ludlum wrote the Bourne books, they're much deeper than the films.

For casual fantasy you should try Brent Weeks, he almost writes at the pace of a thriller but with a fantasy background, really good author IMO.

I will definitely look into the "Private"series and Brent Weeks. I do recognize Ludlum now that you mention Bourne. I remember reading that the author, Kyle Mills, who just agreed to finish The Survivor, the book Flynn was working on when he passed, and then 2 more, also took up the Bourne Series after Ludlum passed. I think I tried reading a Bourne Identity after the movie came out, but given the vast differences, I do not think I enjoyed it and did not get to far into it.

That is an interesting list. I like the case you make for Gollum. I do not remember Jadis, though I only read the first book in the series after the movie came out.

Jadis is the real name of the Ice Queen if I remember correctly. One of the books deals with her origin.

But to kinda of bring some of this back around to the original topic. I, personally, excluded some of these other character's because while they may be badasses, they are fucked with all he time. Bourne has his memory erased, Jack Ryan (my favorite fictional character) is fucked with big time in Patriot Games and Sum of All Fears. Mitch Rapp was really only fucked with once, when his wife was killed, um, spoiler, but the build up to that and the aftermath made it clear, that it was a very very stupid thing to do. My point for this debate was not just about fictional (and I love that people put God, Satan, and Jesus on their lists under fictional character) character is the most powerful, because then sure, its going to come down to the likes of Superman, Apocalypse, Hulk, Thanos, and some of the weird names from fantasy/anime where they have swords made out of stars and stuff like that.

The Count of Monte Cristo, hell that is basically a novel about how people fucked with the wrong person and the consequences.

The Doctor, does not carry any weapon really, yet can look at hoards of enemies, yell "do you know who the fuck I am? Do you really want to mess with me?" and the enemies shit themselves and leave.

Batman (going with limited knowledge here, but why not) no superpowers, but is able to defeat any of the other members of the Justice League if it came to that and is not going to take shit from any of them. I, personally, feel that this is where the writing crosses that fine line where now the writers are building Batman up so much because of his fan popularity, but if you were to be a little more realistic (and I know how weird that sounds when talking about purely fictional characters) that the likes of Superman could and would tear Batman in half before he could reach for his utility belt.

The Red Viper of Dorne , I saw his on someone's list. An utter bad ass and not afraid of anyone really. Yet he was killed on the cusp of victory because of his arrogance and because he was fucking with the Mountain to much. I had thought of several ASOIAF characters, but dismissed them because in the world GRRM created, I think he made it clear that any and all characters can be fucked with in a variety of ways. Though thinking about it, I might put Little Finger in this category. Sure you could defeat him in a fight with relative easy, but this isn't about who would win in a fight, I think it really comes down to who you would not want to cross.

Which leads me to the one that has been so controversial

Minerva McGonagall. Not the most powerful character, but proven to hold her own against Snape and Voldemort. Aside from that though, it is her physical presence. The point was to make this a debate, and quite frankly, had I not been drinking OJ and watching the Harry Potter marathon all weekend, I probably would not have added her. But what can I say, Maggie Smith is awesome. I will have to think about a new number 3 maybe.

Archived