Guillermo Del Toro's The Strain on FX

Maester Llama

I think you're being too hard on them, Relic. It was only the first show. Give them time to relax into their roles... if they're around that long.

ETA: Oh, and the writers for the pilot were Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan.

It wasn't the dialog that made my wife and I stop watching the first episode, it was the absolutely cliched one dimensional characters. AVClub gave this episode a C+ and I think they might have been generous.

Currently watching the first episode and so far I'm not to impressed (this is coming from someone who disliked the books. Nice idea, bad strory). I don't understand why the changed the beginning. I don't like that they showed the plane and the creature. It seemed to work better when the book just started with the plane on the runway.

Instead of building any suspense or intrigue they seem to just be going for the shock and gore value. I understand the reasoning, but I just don't like the beginning. Hopefully it will get better and can at l;east make a fun action vamp show.

It wasn't the dialog that made my wife and I stop watching the first episode, it was the absolutely cliched one dimensional characters. AVClub gave this episode a C+ and I think they might have been generous.

Yeah, the dialogue and cliched characters are a bit much. The camera work and special effects kind of make up for it, though, and there's nothing else on that I'm really loving right now. So we're watching it.

So far, the whole show seems to be a riff on Bram Stoker's Dracula. Yeah, it's more modern/science-y, but the plane = Dracula's ship, and the coffin with soil in it is spot on Dracula. And Filch's character seems to be an amalgamation of Van Helsing/Jonathan Harker. I suppose that's a Mina Harker-esque character's heart that's in the jar....I dunno.

I like it even though it's not very original. And that creepy French kid in the bathtub scared the crap out of me. :O

Yeah, the dialogue and cliched characters are a bit much. The camera work and special effects kind of make up for it, though, and there's nothing else on that I'm really loving right now. So we're watching it.

So far, the whole show seems to be a riff on Bram Stoker's Dracula. Yeah, it's more modern/science-y, but the plane = Dracula's ship, and the coffin with soil in it is spot on Dracula. And Filch's character seems to be an amalgamation of Van Helsing/Jonathan Harker. I suppose that's a Mina Harker-esque character's heart that's in the jar....I dunno.

I like it even though it's not very original. And that creepy French kid in the bathtub scared the crap out of me. :O

Who's Filch?

HAHA - I can't believe you don't know who Filch is. I almost envy you, because I have a hard time watching this show, I'm so used to Bradley being Filch. I keep looking for Filch to run up on the Weasley twins and start berating them for getting mud somewhere.

I really enjoy this show! I love the eerie quality to so much of it. The fact that the lead character, Eph, basically told his son to lie in a custody hearing was unexpected, but true to life.

Is it the best written, best acted, most innovative show on television? No. But then neither is The Walking Dead, and I enjoy the hell out of that too.

BTW, what the hell is up with those TONGUES??

I really enjoy this show! I love the eerie quality to so much of it. The fact that the lead character, Eph, basically told his son to lie in a custody hearing was unexpected, but true to life.

Is it the best written, best acted, most innovative show on television? No. But then neither is The Walking Dead, and I enjoy the hell out of that too.

It's not a bad show at all. A show doesn't have to be innovative, uniquely written, or obscure to be a good show and I've never undestood why people seem to think this way. Some of the most boring or uninteresting shows to me have been well written and very innovative.

It's not a bad show at all. A show doesn't have to be innovative, uniquely written, or obscure to be a good show and I've never undestood why people seem to think this way. Some of the most boring or uninteresting shows to me have been well written and very innovative.

I've gotten more genuine creeps from just the two episodes that have been on so far than from the entire last season of American Horror Story.

BTW, David Bradley (Abraham) has some pretty good acting chops in this. He certainly schmoozed that judge nicely. :P And as much as it's said that there's no small parts, only small actors, his talents were woefully underused as Filch.

I don't mind the show, but I'm not watching anything else AT ALL right now so that may have a lot to do with it. I've given up on the Leftovers, and don't mind this show at all. Can't judge a character's story arc three episodes in.

There's a weird 80s-90s fantasy-horror quality to it. Makes me think of Ladyhawk, Willow, NE Story, Labyrinth, all that jazz. I can't tell if it's intentional, but it actually makes the whole thing more compelling.

Has a bit of the Hellboy vibe, though I liked that franchise more than this one.

I really enjoy this show! I love the eerie quality to so much of it. The fact that the lead character, Eph, basically told his son to lie in a custody hearing was unexpected, but true to life.Is it the best written, best acted, most innovative show on television? No. But then neither is The Walking Dead, and I enjoy the hell out of that too.BTW, what the hell is up with those TONGUES??

Gahhhhh....I hate those things. I seriously am hiding under a blanket when the tongues show up for screen time. Gahhhhh.

There's a weird 80s-90s fantasy-horror quality to it. Makes me think of Ladyhawk, Willow, NE Story, Labyrinth, all that jazz. I can't tell if it's intentional, but it actually makes the whole thing more compelling.

Has a bit of the Hellboy vibe, though I liked that franchise more than this one.

Yeah. It's filmed with a gritty, almost grainy filter or something. It's very clinical/austere in the way it looks. I really love that.

I'm watching it. It's not great, but it's not bad either, although I'm starting to fear that it may end up as one of those shows where I like every other character more than the main character. I don't know, the whole custody battle arc seems forced in what is otherwise a hokie vampire show. Still, as someone above said, the show has a nice 80s-90s fantasy horror quality. I'll stick with it simply because it looks like it can be fun. Is it the next great show? Not at all. But it's enjoyable if you like the horror genre, cliches and all.

Archived