most dangerous woman in ASOIAF

It doesn;t really matter if anybody else was, I am allowed to state my opinion regardless of what anyone else says. By your logic, if someone says green we all have to say green.

As far as criticisms of characters go, well people just need to get over themselves.

Er, no, I am not saying that. I don't know where you pulled that from....

I thought you might be better off not setting your stall up on a premise that no one else shared and then fighting tooth and nail to defend it. Sometimes it's better to agree to differ rather than take on all comers.

I did find that difficult to read and as you are now in the thread about "Bad Writing" talking about how you despise Dany I do feel you would be well advised to tone it down a bit and give it a break. Trust me: we get your opinion and you are entitled to it, we just don't need you venting about one character in every thread.

Er, no, I am not saying that. I don't know where you pulled that from....

I thought you might be better off not setting your stall up on a premise that no one else shared and then fighting tooth and nail to defend it. Sometimes it's better to agree to differ rather than take on all comers.

I did find that difficult to read and as you are now in the thread about "Bad Writing" talking about how you despise Dany I do feel you would be well advised to tone it down a bit and give it a break. Trust me: we get your opinion and you are entitled to it, we just don't need you venting about one character in every thread.

"Even though I despise Dany for various reasons, it follows that Martin's ability to create a character that can inspire disgust or love from his fan-base is something that should not be taken lightly. There are very few things that I have read that I can honestly say I really dislike that character or really like this character. Most of the time, I am rather neutral. I think this is probably the greatest strength of his work as a whole despite some shortcomings. All of us have personal experiences that allow us to be drawn to certain characters, and this doesn't happen if the characters are not written well. Joff, for example, is written perfectly. How could we hate such a repulsive character if the words don't match the crime? In that sense, Martin is nearly flawless"

Here is the quote I assume you are referring to? I don't see what is wrong? I wasn't bashing Dany. Since the thread is a discussion of "Bad Writing" I made the point that a bad writer, at least not from my experience, has the ability to create characters that we loath and love, at least not in the same way aSoIaF does. I was using this as an example to show that Martin is a tremendous writer. For example, many love Dany, and again they would not love Dany if Dany wasn't written so well. That was sort of my point there. I would buy your argument if I went on a rant calling the character a myriad of names, etc, but that isn't the case ever. Sometimes it is useful to point out where you stand. This is one of the cases. My feeling towards this particular character is a testament to Martin's ability as a writer. If I would have said, Martin is a great writer, his character's are wonderful. That is a bland statement that says very little. By suggesting that I loath a character, and do so because of Martin's ability to write characters, I think makes a stronger point.

Context is every man....or lady...sorry... :dunno:

"If you try and frame the discussion in a particular way (when no one else is) and adopt an unpopular argument you will get strong disagreement" - this is from you.

The reason I said, if you see green, we must all see green is because of this^. In other words, because everyone took the discussion one way, I had to follow the set path or receive strong disagreement because I has a different pov. I am used to an academic setting (not classroom, but conferences) where several different discussion, or varieties, of one take shape. SO I find it a bit troubling to just stay within the grain, when there could be alternate pov's.

I would agree with the tooth and nail comment, but when I am told that my logic is ridiculous because said character will never be alone fighting, well I sort of feel obliged to respond. Perhaps that is my downfall here, but it is the environment I work in outside of here.

Archived