TWOW - 2015 release date

jaimereborn

And then there is this, for what it is worth, a release date of 2017 : http://www.ecumenicalnews.com/article/winds-of-winter-release-date-in-2017-george-r-r-martin-furious-at-people-saying-hell-die-before-completing-book-25567

And this, regarding page length, from June 2014;

As for his progress on the forthcoming book in the series, according to sources compiled by a fan community, Martin anticipates “TWOW” will be about 1,500 manuscript pages.2 In October 2012, Martin told a reporter that he had written about 400 pages, but he hasn’t commented on his progress since.

source: http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/predicting-when-game-of-thrones-author-george-r-r-martin-will-come-out-with-his-next-book/

While 2015 isn't officially confirmed by anyone, I still think it's a reasonable estimate given what we know. GRRM has been more optimistic about his work on TWOW than he ever was with ADWD. He hasn't given specifics of course but he has said that he isn't rewriting nearly as much as he was with the previous two books. I think that's a good sign that he's progressing a lot faster than he did with AFFC and ADWD. If you add in that he's back on track with his original story plans (the Meereenese knot/5 year gap issue has been resolved), I think that sometime in 2015 is a realistic estimate. Having the book get published before or around the same time as season 5 of the TV series starting would be a very good for publicity.

If I had to bet, I'd say, Comic Con - SD or soon after, they'll drop a publishing release date and it will be sometime in Jan-Feb, not before Christmas. But I also think there's a lot of other possibilities, but this one seems to make the most sense given all the information we've been given.

Or never... there's always never.

When asked when TWoW would be released a spokeswoman for GRRM responded:

"When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east. When the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves. Then the book will be published, and not before.”

The good news is that according to some apocalyptic cults, that will be 2015.

And then there is this, for what it is worth: http://www.ecumenicalnews.com/article/winds-of-winter-release-date-in-2017-george-r-r-martin-furious-at-people-saying-hell-die-before-completing-book-25567

And this, regarding page length, from June 2014;

As for his progress on the forthcoming book in the series, according to sources compiled by a fan community, Martin anticipates TWOW will be about 1,500 manuscript pages.2 In October 2012, Martin told a reporter that he had written about 400 pages, but he hasnt commented on his progress since.

source: http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/predicting-when-game-of-thrones-author-george-r-r-martin-will-come-out-with-his-next-book/

Whoever wrote that article seems confused. They mention 2017 in the headline, but not once in the article do they explain that date. Seems they just cobbled together a date they thought fit. And also, good on Martin for what he said. What kind of idiot tells someone they think they will die soon before completing xyz task? Honestly, some of these media folk are cockroaches.

Whoever wrote that article seems confused. They mention 2017 in the headline, but not once in the article do they explain that date. Seems they just cobbled together a date they thought fit. And also, good on Martin for what he said. What kind of idiot tells someone they think they will die soon before completing xyz task? Honestly, some of these media folk are cockroaches.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2014/06/16/predict-when-george-r-r-martin-will-finish-game-of-thrones-using-the-magic-of-geometry/

2017 was predicted by the Washington Post based on a 1500 page manuscript and GRRM's word per day output for the entire series. A little more rigorous than the endless number of "I think 2015 makes sense!!" predictions that westeros posters pull out of their asses.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2014/06/16/predict-when-george-r-r-martin-will-finish-game-of-thrones-using-the-magic-of-geometry/

2017 was predicted by the Washington Post based on a 1500 page manuscript and GRRM's word per day output for the entire series. A little more rigorous than the endless number of "I think 2015 makes sense!!" predictions that westeros posters pull out of their asses.

Thanks. That wasn't in the article I.was talking about. They just seemed to stick 2017 in the headline

If I had to bet, I'd say, Comic Con - SD or soon after, they'll drop a publishing release date and it will be sometime in Jan-Feb, not before Christmas. But I also think there's a lot of other possibilities, but this one seems to make the most sense given all the information we've been given.

Or never... there's always never.

Yeah, I agree. I'm not getting my hopes up regarding any sort of announcement at SDCC but if he's going to make an announcement this year, that would absolutely be the right place to do it. That said, I'm going to maintain a cautiously optimistic stance regarding a release date. I still think a 2015 release is reasonable but I'm not counting on it happening. It kind of has to happen if he wants to stay ahead of the show, though.

I gave the rationale for why I think 2015 makes sense. I didn't just "pull it out of my ass." It's a logical estimate based on what we know. At the same time, I'm not assuming a 2015 release. It'll be released when it's released. The reality is none of us know how far along he is with the book. He could be done or he could be halfway. We have very little real information to go on.

I looked into a fire, and R'hllor told me April.

I placed my hand on a tree, and Bran told me May.

I flushed the toilet this morning, and the Drowned God said March.

I'm going with March.

Have you guys seen this?

http://www.bookdepository.com/Winds-Winter-George-Martin/9780002247412

Full description:

Continuing the most imaginative and ambitious epic fantasy since The Lord of the Rings Winter has come at last and no man can say whether it will ever go again. The Wall is broken, the cold dead legions are coming south, and the people of the Seven Kingdoms turn to their queen to protect them. But Daenerys Targaryen is learning what Robert Baratheon learned before her; that it is one thing to win a throne and quite another to sit on one. Before she can hope to defeat the Others, Dany knows she must unite the broken realm behind her. Wolf and lion must hunt together, maester and greenseer work as one, all the blood feuds must be put aside, the bitter rivals and sowrn enemies join hands. The Winds of Winter tells the story of Dany's fight to save her new-won kingdom, of two desperate journeys beyond the known world in to the very hearts of ice and fire, and of the final clomactic battle at Winterfell, with life itself in the balance.

Have you guys seen this?

Full description:

Continuing the most imaginative and ambitious epic fantasy since The Lord of the Rings Winter has come at last and no man can say whether it will ever go again. The Wall is broken, the cold dead legions are coming south, and the people of the Seven Kingdoms turn to their queen to protect them. But Daenerys Targaryen is learning what Robert Baratheon learned before her; that it is one thing to win a throne and quite another to sit on one. Before she can hope to defeat the Others, Dany knows she must unite the broken realm behind her. Wolf and lion must hunt together, maester and greenseer work as one, all the blood feuds must be put aside, the bitter rivals and sowrn enemies join hands. The Winds of Winter tells the story of Dany's fight to save her new-won kingdom, of two desperate journeys beyond the known world in to the very hearts of ice and fire, and of the final clomactic battle at Winterfell, with life itself in the balance.

It's certainly an interesting piece of fanfiction (complete with some major spelling problems) I'll give them that.

Have you guys seen this?

Full description:

Surely this is an ADOS guesstimate. If not then gods bless Dany and her fiery teleporter.

Just checked George's blog - not a thing since June 26, which is a long time for him without blogging . . . not a blog

Nothing recent on the official site either: George R.R.Martin website

I'm going to be checking over the next few days to see if anything pops up.

Not really, he's on his summer convention tour. He does this just about every year, though he usually doesn't give his fans the middle finger when he's touring, lol

Lol. True. Just wanted to share it either way.

Actually it might have been a book blurb from before the 5 year gap was removed. Which may mean that Dany not only gets to Westeros in the next book but takes it. Also the wall will either fall or stop working at the end of TWOW. The greenseer and maester team up is interesting.

I am biassed. I like it because it supports my joiners vs individualists end game theory.

Surely this is an ADOS guesstimate. If not then gods bless Dany and her fiery teleporter.

Yeah, it sounds a lot more like a story description for ADOS. I really don't see how Dany could travel to Westeros, capture it, and begin to fight off the Others all in one book. I can see her making it to Westeros as part of the climax of TWOW. Perhaps a single chapter about the threat facing the realm. Assuming it isn't completely made up, perhaps it's based on GRRM's original plans for TWOW? It seems like those plans would no longer align with where the characters currently are and would be shifted forward a bit.

Lol. True. Just wanted to share it either way.

No worries. I didn't think you necessarily believed it to be legit. :)

Archived