Football LXXX: Transfers, preseason & ongoing seasons

Mexal

From the previous thread:

Yeah there's a lot of foreign players in Germany, but look at how many of the German World Cup players are at the top German clubs starting week in week out.

Starting week-in and week-out for the top German clubs is only part of it. Majority of the England team plays week-in and week-out for the top english clubs but that has meant very little at major tournaments. The key to the Germans success has really been the youth development strategy that was drawn up following their disastrous Euro 2000 campaign.

The DFB and the clubs decided that the development of more technically proficient homegrown players would be in everyone's best interests and this led to the creation of academies right across the top two divisions.The depth of Germany's coaching resources far exceeds that of England, as well as the DFB's close relationship with Bundesliga clubs, helps to make the programme. The FA's relationship with Premier League clubs otoh is strained and the FA is dependant solely on the clubs to develop youngsters.

Some stories around Liverpool are going to bid for Reus. It's almost certainly complete bollocks but, hey, it's fun to think it might happen for a couple of days before it's ruled out. If we got Reus and the title for some reason came down to a four by 100m relay race we'd be strong favourites.

Some stories around Liverpool are going to bid for Reus. It's almost certainly complete bollocks but, hey, it's fun to think it might happen for a couple of days before it's ruled out. If we got Reus and the title for some reason came down to a four by 100m relay race we'd be strong favourites.

What's the word going around about using Suarez's money? Obviously a bid on Reus is a use of it but I think it's unlikely that he leaves. What other options are out there?

What's the word going around about using Suarez's money? Obviously a bid on Reus is a use of it but I think it's unlikely that he leaves. What other options are out there?

Don't know really, if we get Markovic for about £20 million and Origi for about £10 million, both of which seem fairly likely, we'll have already spent somewhere in the range of £70 million. Apparently all of the money from the Suarez sale has been given to Rodgers to spend in addition to his original transfer budget so we may well have somewhere between £100 million and £120 million to spend so theoretically we could afford to make a big signing like bidding £45 million for Reus but if we want to get a left back and a centre back as well I'm not sure that's on the cards. I think something like £15-20 odd million on Bony or something at that sort of level is probably more likely.

Which I'm not too worried about really. Everyone likes to get a real big name signing but Sturridge, Sterling, Coutinho and Lallana is a pretty good front four with Lambert in reserve and Markovic is clearly someone they've done their homework on rather than rushed out to buy at the last minute so I'm hopeful he'll be a solid addition.

I never thought Bayern would let Kroos go, to Madrid even.

What were they thinking? Don't need the money and Madrid is only paying 25 million for him.

That's ridculous given how good he is, what a steal.

So I've been on holiday, and in the transfer market, which has been very active during that time we have signed

Gareth Barry. Who was on loan last season. Basically, that means we're still two players short of having last year's thin squad.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's great we've signed Barry. He was very good for us last year, and balances the midfield well, together with McCarthy. We should get a couple of strikers in, though (one is not enough, and you may choose whether Naismith or Kone is that one, or if they combined are one striker), we should get another DM as we'll be playing in the great competition that is the EL - possibly an AM as well - and I would really like to add a winger and a central defender as well (and lose Antolin Alcaraz - couldn't we just leave him at a hotel during pre-season?).

I never thought Bayern would let Kroos go, to Madrid even.

What were they thinking? Don't need the money and Madrid is only paying 25 million for him.

That's ridculous given how good he is, what a steal.

His contract was going to end next year, so it was either to sell him or let him go free next summer. Negotiations to extend the contract failed and he would have problems to be full time starter in Bayern's stacked midfield. Although, to tell the truth he'll have problems to be starter in Real too, unless DiMaria leaves and they won't bring Rodriguez to replace him.

His contract was going to end next year, so it was either to sell him or let him go free next summer. Negotiations to extend the contract failed and he would have problems to be full time starter in Bayern's stacked midfield. Although, to tell the truth he'll have problems to be starter in Real too, unless DiMaria leaves and they won't bring Rodriguez to replace him.

Wasn't he fairly unhappy at Bayern as well? There was tons of talk about that in January during the transfer window then.

Wasn't he fairly unhappy at Bayern as well? There was tons of talk about that in January during the transfer window then.

Yes, that's why those negotiations failed. Don't know the reason for his "unhappiness", but likely it was because Gotze, Muller and Thiago were in front of him in lineup.

Anyway, players who want to leave and have just one yer left are cheap. Rakitic is worth more than 18 mil. too, but he also had just one contract year left. Of course there are some teams that choose to keep those players anyway, if they are important for them (like Dortmund with Lewandowski), but Kroos wasn't key player for Bayern. Now at least they get something for him and ensure he won't be going to some Bundesliga team (unlikely, but still possible).

Some transfer gossip. Filipe Luis set to undergo a medical at Chelsea ahead of a proposed £20m move from Atletico. Di Maria has reportedly turned down a move to PSG and Cavani has instructed his agent to look into a possible move to the EPL. Reports also suggest that Arsenal's pursuit of Khedira has stalled due to the players wage demands.

Archived