Football LXXX: Transfers, preseason & ongoing seasons

Mexal

I don't know, it seems more so to be all talk from his agent/ press so far. Except for Sport and Marca, who said a fee has been agreed, only for his agent to categorically deny the reports. Furthermore, El confidencial claim that Khedira has apologized to Madrid and is willing to re-enter contract negotiations, though madrid still want to sell him. My feeling is that he probably won't be coming ( which is fine by me) though who knows how much is really happening behind the scenes :dunno:

Edit: Evening Standard is reporting the same with regards to Khedira's contact talks.

I expect we'll see some movement on the Khedira situation within a few days. Looks like the ball is in the player's court, though I can't see the Chelsea stories as anything else but an attempt by Khedira's agent to force Arsenal's hand re the huge salary demands. I mean, he's got the choice of coming to Arsenal to play beautiful football with his WC winning team mates, BFF Mezuit Ozil included, or he can go to Stamford Bridge to play cuntish football with a load of cunts. :leer:

Pretty sure he'll come to Arsenal.

I guess you're not a fan of 19th century football.

So Monaco have placed a 90m price tag on James. If madrid go ahead and sign him that would make him the third most expensive player behind CR7 & Bale. Its insane to think that we could potentially have a team with the 3 most expensive players of all time in their starting 11.

I like the kid. He had a great cup. But 90 Mil for a great cup? That seems a bit much. He had 10 Goals and 12 Assists in 38 appearances for Monoco last season, not shabby but not Ronoldo/Bale type numbers. Taking his age into consideration, I think that 45 million would be a lot for the kid. Suarez just went for 85 mil. Granted James is younger but Suarez is a proven producer.

So Monaco have placed a 90m price tag on James. If madrid go ahead and sign him that would make him the third most expensive player behind CR7 & Bale. Its insane to think that we could potentially have a team with the 3 most expensive players of all time in their starting 11.

Is he still the third most expensive if you add up all the fees (licit and illicit) paid for Neymar?

I like the kid. He had a great cup. But 90 Mil for a great cup? That seems a bit much. He had 10 Goals and 12 Assists in 38 appearances for Monoco last season, not shabby but not Ronoldo/Bale type numbers. Taking his age into consideration, I think that 45 million would be a lot for the kid. Suarez just went for 85 mil. Granted James is younger but Suarez is a proven producer.

This is all true, it's definitely too much for him, but Monaco of course doesn't need the money *and* doesn't want to sell him. So only for a truly ridiculous amount of money will they do it, something like twice of what the player is worth.

This is all true, it's definitely too much for him, but Monaco of course doesn't need the money *and* doesn't want to sell him. So only for a truly ridiculous amount of money will they do it, something like twice of what the player is worth.

Ahh.. That makes sense. They should be careful, Madrid might be crazier than they think.

Barca have made a 'marquee' signing so it is now Real's turn. Money seems to be no object when it comes to Real so I don't think they will gawk at paying a hefty sum for Rodriguez. Plus the guy looks to be an extremely marketable figure so Real will probably end up making a profit on the transfer in the long run.

eta. LVG confirms Carrick has picked up an injury and will be out for a long time. Speculation is that it is a serious ankle injury that will keep him out for 10 weeks.

I don't know, it seems more so to be all talk from his agent/ press so far. Except for Sport and Marca, who said a fee has been agreed, only for his agent to categorically deny the reports. Furthermore, El confidencial claim that Khedira has apologized to Madrid and is willing to re-enter contract negotiations, though madrid still want to sell him. My feeling is that he probably won't be coming ( which is fine by me) though who knows how much is really happening behind the scenes :dunno:

Edit: Evening Standard is reporting the same with regards to Khedira's contact talks.

I think he's going to come. It's clear Arsenal is a consideration, Honigstein said he wants to come to Arsenal and he's pretty reliable, plus as Spookydog said, his BFF is here plus Podolski/Mertesacker. Marca is the most reliable for Madrid news more than anyone and every other tends to just piggyback off news, plus in every situation, there are always media outlets throwing up articles saying the opposite in an effort to generate clicks. We'll see. I do think he comes and I think he's paired with Ramsey and plays deeper, similar to what Schweinsteiger did for Germany. He'll also be a back up for Ramsey and play the B2B CM role when Ramsey isn't starting, getting his rest from Arteta/Flamini. Or they could play Flamini behind Ramsey/Khedira. Who knows. Lots of options Khedira offers the team that a traditional DM doesn't, assuming Khedira is capable of playing disciplined football which I assume he is.

Plus, I love the vine going around where he was asked about his future and he said "I don't know" while Podolski yelled Arsenal in the background. This is obviously something they're all talking about and it looks like Madrid is open to it.

eta. LVG confirms Carrick has picked up an injury and will be out for a long time. Speculation is that it is a serious ankle injury that will keep him out for 10 weeks.

Speculation is that Van Gaal has hidden Carrick's body in a grit bin to be dispersed across Stretford when it gets icy in a few months.

Plus, I love the vine going around where he was asked about his future and he said "I don't know" while Podolski yelled Arsenal in the background. This is obviously something they're all talking about and it looks like Madrid is open to it.

Reminds me of when Reina & co threw a Barca jersey on Cesc when he was still an Arsenal player

Reminds me of when Reina & co threw a Barca jersey on Cesc when he was still an Arsenal player

Yea. That's the hypocrisy of Arsenal fans. I don't really care, but there are fans who hated that and now love what Podolski did. There are obviously differences in the situations and the love of the player among the fans (Cesc was homegrown and a hero whereas Khedira arrived a few years ago and has been replaced more or less) but still...

A product of spending 3 continuous years there from the age of 16. Don't think there's any argument that Arsenal made him into the player he is. if Pogba comes back to England he counts as homegrown as well.

A product of that famous Arsenal institution, La Masia?

Uh he was there for 8 years from age 16. If you don't think Arsenal had anything to do with his development then I don't know what to tell you.

So Carrick has undergone surgery on his left ankle ligaments and will be out for 10-12 weeks. The addition of another CM should now be top priority. If a deal for Vidal is dead in the water then we need to start looking elsewhere. Koke perhaps although that seems unlikely since he recently renewed his contract.

Uh he was there for 8 years from age 16. If you don't think Arsenal had anything to do with his development then I don't know what to tell you.

I'm not saying that Arsenal had nothing to do with his development. I'm suggesting that claiming a kid from Spain who spent six years (from age 10 to 16) at another club's academy as 'homegrown' is stretching the term somewhat: to do so rather suggests you don't think Barcelona had anything to do with his development, and if you do think that, I don't know what to tell you.

Homegrown for the premier league means the player has to have trained at a club in England for 3 years before his 18th (might be 16th, can't remember) birthday - so technically Fabregas isn't far off.

Homegrown for the premier league means the player has to have trained at a club in England for 3 years before his 18th (might be 16th, can't remember) birthday - so technically Fabregas isn't far off.

He absolutely fit the definition as does Ramsey, Walcott and so on even though their very young football was at other academies. I don't get how anyone can push back about calling Fabregas an Arsenal homegrown player. Oh well, different strokes for different folks. I'm claiming him.

He's homegrown by the PL rules, I believe the age limit is before his 21th birthday.

ETA: 3 years before his 21th birthday

Archived