Makeup V: Inspired by a Diva

Fragile Bird

So my skin has decided to break out in a massive disgusting bout of cystic acne. I'm almost 23, my skin was never this bad when I was a teenager. Grumble.

I tried toothpaste, which seemed to dry them up, and castor oil to treat them, but I need a skincare regime to stop the little blighters flaring up like this again.

Welcome to acne in your 20s. That is what it was like for me in my 20s. At this point there is a good chance your acne is hormonally caused and the best topical skincare regime and products in the world are not going to prevent acne from appearing. They will only be good for getting rid of it once it has appeared.

So most likely you need to tackle the hormones. Some women use the pill to deal with acne in adulthood. No one kind is perfect for everyone. One product that helps control acne for one woman might cause acne in another. So sometimes there is trial and error for many months before you find the one that works best for you. So if you are on the pill already, you could see your doctor about switching to another kind. Or if you aren't on it, consider doing so.

I had a couple of years when I turned thirty when I suddenly started getting nasty hormonal acne - big painful lumps, mostly - along my jawline. The oil cleansing method is what worked for me, and I don't get them at all anymore. My skin is a ton better.

I know it doesn't work for everyone, but it did help me, so maybe worth a look?

Drac, a friend of mine starting washing her skin in garlic water after many troubles with it and it is much better. She doesn't smell like garlic; might be worth a try?

I'm guessing you can probably buy garlic water, but do you know if it's easy to make? Logic suggests it's just garlic and water, but you never know. I also heard about potatoes being good for cystic acne. I did try them when I had big cysts come up, but I was trying all sorts of things, so I'm not sure how effective they were.

Narcissa - I've been on so many pills. I'm currently on Cerazette which is a POP. My skin has definitely become worse since going on it, but it's the best pill for my erratic, horrible periods. I could try going back to the doctor and seeing if there are any others I can try.

I currently have a cluster of 6 on my chin and jaw area, with little spots too, and another cystic one on my temple. I have never had such bad skin - the odd spot, one or two big cysts every few months, but these are new.

I had a couple of years when I turned thirty when I suddenly started getting nasty hormonal acne - big painful lumps, mostly - along my jawline. The oil cleansing method is what worked for me, and I don't get them at all anymore. My skin is a ton better.

I know it doesn't work for everyone, but it did help me, so maybe worth a look?

Sorry for DP, can't multi-quote on my phone. Which oil do you use? I've heard castor oil is good for washing with, as well as treating cysts, but it's kinda pricey to be washing with every day.

Narcissa - I've been on so many pills. I'm currently on Cerazette which is a POP. My skin has definitely become worse since going on it, but it's the best pill for my erratic, horrible periods. I could try going back to the doctor and seeing if there are any others I can try.

I totally sympathize. I have endometriosis and did suffer from severe pain and ovarian cysts when I was in my 20s so my priority was to find the pill that best dealt with that. The skin had to be secondary. But in switching from pill to pill to find the one that worked for the first priority I did notice the vastly different results on my skin.

Since you have noticed a change since starting cerazette, you should at least talk with your doctor about this and see if they have any other suggestions. A quick google on "cerazette and acne" does result in a few comments from women who found it caused more severe acne for them. At the same time some women seem to be prescribed it for their acne. But like I said, what clears up acne for some, causes severe acne for others. You have to find the one that works best for you.

I totally sympathize. I have endometriosis and did suffer from severe pain and ovarian cysts when I was in my 20s so my priority was to find the pill that best dealt with that. The skin had to be secondary. But in switching from pill to pill to find the one that worked for the first priority I did notice the vastly different results on my skin.

Since you have noticed a change since starting cerazette, you should at least talk with your doctor about this and see if they have any other suggestions. A quick google on "cerazette and acne" does result in a few comments from women who found it caused more severe acne for them. At the same time some women seem to be prescribed it for their acne. But like I said, what clears up acne for some, causes severe acne for others. You have to find the one that works best for you.

Damn. I was diagnosed with hydradentitis suprativa (sp?), which basically causes recurring sebaceous cysts, and is exacerbated by Cerazette*. But I've never had cystic acne before - over the past few days, more and more have popped up. I shall have to go back to the doctor, and try to find a pill that helps both my skin and my periods. (It's even more frustrating because I'll never have children anyway, and I'm too young for them to do anything permanent, but that's another discussion.)

I'll do a Google search and see if there's any mention of another POP pill that might help my skin as well.

*I was on Cerazette, but last month I was told that they became too expensive for the NHS, so I'm on a cheaper alternative called Cerelle. I was told it's exactly the same, but now I'm wondering. I have too much oestrogen, so a POP pill is best for me.

Dracarya,

The US only has one formulation of POP available (though in different brands as it's generic), I don't know about the UK, but sometimes the fillers and other inert ingredients can cause reactions, I had problematic side effects with one brand of the combo pill before when I still took those before they decided women with migraine with aura can't take the combo pill, switching to a different brand with the same formulation fixed my problems. I also have endo and have spent a lot of time trying to find the best treatment or any treatment. So one idea, and I don't know how this goes with NHS, but have you considered a hormonal iud like mirena? It often causes one to stop having periods, or if they come they're lighter and less painful (copper IUDs make periods heavier That's been the best thing I've done for endo symptoms since surgery, I do still have to take POPs, but it's been really good for me overall.

Dracarya,

The US only has one formulation of POP available (though in different brands as it's generic), I don't know about the UK, but sometimes the fillers and other inert ingredients can cause reactions, I had problematic side effects with one brand of the combo pill before when I still took those before they decided women with migraine with aura can't take the combo pill, switching to a different brand with the same formulation fixed my problems. I also have endo and have spent a lot of time trying to find the best treatment or any treatment. So one idea, and I don't know how this goes with NHS, but have you considered a hormonal iud like mirena? It often causes one to stop having periods, or if they come they're lighter and less painful (copper IUDs make periods heavier That's been the best thing I've done for endo symptoms since surgery, I do still have to take POPs, but it's been really good for me overall.

I did try last year, but just measuring my womb caused me immense pain. I wimped out of having the procedure finished. I tried the implant (Implanon I believe) about 6 years ago, but had very, very bad side effects.

So Cerelle could be slightly different to Cerazette? I think it's worth a conversation with my doctor anyway, regardless of the skin thing. What about acne treatments - creams, etc? The doctor told me to take Lymacycline (antibiotic) every day for the big cysts, but due to the whole antibiotic resistance thing, it didn't seem like the best solution. Castor oil usually gets rid of the big cysts pretty easily, as long as I catch them early enough. I need a long-term solution really, and if changing my contraception is the answer, then I'd better get on to it.

I bought a pot of clay mask thingy on Amazon today, so I'll try that when it turns up on Sunday. Tonight I'll use toothpaste as a topical treatment, and see how that works.

Thanks everyone for the advice, I really appreciate it. And while I know I'm not the only person in the world this affects, it makes me feel better to hear it. Maybe a tad superficial, but there it is. Having bad skin suuucks. My SO gets the same thing, strangely enough, though not as often. Maybe there are some lifestyle changes we can make too.

Oh having the IUD inserted is awful (I've never had children either), I almost passed out, but once it's in and settled and the cramping stops it's great. It's supposed to be less painful if done during menses and maybe you can get them to prescribe something for you to take to be able get it inserted. Definitely ask about the POP brand because inert ingredients can make a difference (but unfortunately some doctors and pharmacists don't want to hear this). For me, when that happened, I stayed on the same formulation pill and changed from one generic to another and then I was ok.

About the acne, I have oily skin, I still get breakouts too sometimes, but through trial and error found things that help/make it worse. I use a gentle cleanser (though I used to use a slightly stronger one), witch hazel and then it's counterintuitive, because I don't really need it much and definitely didn't when I started to use it, but it actually helps me to use a lightweight moisturizer formulated for sensitive skin with no sunscreen, I put it on with a light hand. I don't use products with sunscreen (I'm allergic to chemical sunscreen and zinc etc clogs my pores and makes me break out, fortunately I don't burn) and I rarely wear foundation, powder etc, when I wear make up too frequently (and since most lines don't have a color that matches my skin my choices are limited, but I have found something that's ok to wear for a few days without problems) I break out. I did experiment with oil cleansing for a little while, but I don't know maybe I used the wrong kinds of oil, but I got really terrible breakouts, huge ones, so I stopped.

I love my IUD. Best thing ever. (I have the Mirena.)

Re: acne. I've found that a mild cleanser + salicylic acid lotion is the best way for me to avoid breakouts. I use a mild clay masque to help with general pore issues a couple of times a week. I've always been prone to acne. BC pills were great to keep that in check, but I can't take them now due to bad interactions with my anti-Herman drugs. It has been a learning process to deal with my skin issues all over again, in my late 30s, after years of everything being peachy.

I took my friend makeup shopping. Bought her a lipstick (early birthday present) and picked out eyeshadow that she'll buy herself. Had a blast, then we went and drank beer. Because why not?

I'm debating whether to buy Vera or Kelly Audacious lipsticks from NARS. Vera looks gorgeous on me, but I already have two lipsticks in that color family. I think I need to amble down to the NARS store next week and try out Kelly (and other deal-closer lipsticks).

Xray, I remember discussing the Mirena with you at length last year, and I still think it's a good idea. I just couldn't deal with the pain - I thought my womb was being scraped out. :( Salicylic acid has come up before on my searches, so that may be worth a go.

Summah - my pill stops my periods completely, so I guess any time will be painful time. I wonder if there is something they can give me for the pain. After everything you guys have said, I'm definitely going to make an appointment with my doctor on Monday.

I smothered my face in toothpaste last night and I think they're better. Might try a castor oil wash today, then the clay mask tomorrow.

Sorry for DP, can't multi-quote on my phone. Which oil do you use? I've heard castor oil is good for washing with, as well as treating cysts, but it's kinda pricey to be washing with every day.

I use a mix of castor oil and jojoba oil, with a bit of tea tree mixed in, usually. You don't need much, so a bottle tends to last a while.

Some people do find it breaks them out more, so you might not want to chance it, but if castor oil already helps, it might be worth a shot. My skin feels better all round - not just that I don't get the acne, but my skin also feels far more supple and even. It feels far tighter and drier if I have to use commercial stuff for any reason now.

I use a mix of castor oil and jojoba oil, with a bit of tea tree mixed in, usually. You don't need much, so a bottle tends to last a while.

Some people do find it breaks them out more, so you might not want to chance it, but if castor oil already helps, it might be worth a shot. My skin feels better all round - not just that I don't get the acne, but my skin also feels far more supple and even. It feels far tighter and drier if I have to use commercial stuff for any reason now.

Yeah, castor oil is my miracle cure. It works 9/10 times when applied topically on cysts, so I think it's worth giving it a go today. I just ran out of tea tree oil, damn. I'm currently washing my face with a Simple (that's the brand) exfoliating face wash - are these any good? My skin always feels cleaner and refreshed, but I'm not sure they do anything either way for the acne.

Yeah, castor oil is my miracle cure. It works 9/10 times when applied topically on cysts, so I think it's worth giving it a go today. I just ran out of tea tree oil, damn. I'm currently washing my face with a Simple (that's the brand) exfoliating face wash - are these any good? My skin always feels cleaner and refreshed, but I'm not sure they do anything either way for the acne.

Get some sort of carrier oil to go with the castor oil, I'd suggest. Castor oil on its own can be pretty drying. I use jojoba because it's pretty light and moisturising as well, but I think you can try a whole lot of different things. There's advice online for the best types for different skin types.

I imagine the Simple stuff is fine. If it makes your skin feel better, then use it. I've started exfoliating using just bicarbonate of soda and a bit of water to make a paste, and that's pretty nice too. And cheap. And I use tea and lemon as a toner sometimes.

... basically my skincare routine comes out of my kitchen cupboards these days. But it works for me, at least!

Get some sort of carrier oil to go with the castor oil, I'd suggest. Castor oil on its own can be pretty drying. I use jojoba because it's pretty light and moisturising as well, but I think you can try a whole lot of different things. There's advice online for the best types for different skin types.

I imagine the Simple stuff is fine. If it makes your skin feel better, then use it. I've started exfoliating using just bicarbonate of soda and a bit of water to make a paste, and that's pretty nice too. And cheap. And I use tea and lemon as a toner sometimes.

... basically my skincare routine comes out of my kitchen cupboards these days. But it works for me, at least!

At least you know exactly what's in everything you use! Somewhere else suggested baking soda too. I should make a list :laugh:

I have very oily skin on my face, so it could do with some drying up! I'll look into jojoba oil though. I'm allergic to lavender, so I have to avoid anything with it in. Which is frustrating, because a lot of healing products - like the ones given out by my tattoo shop - contain lavender.

Even oily skin needs hydration, as far as I know, excess sebum can be caused by skin dehydration, the skin tries to compensate by producing more oil.

I have a great baking soda cleanser, it's by a Korean brand, Etude House. I bought it through ebay. It feels really cleansing, if that makes sense, :lol: my skin looks matte and feels a bit dry after using it, so I usually apply some hydrating lotion or jojoba oil (which is right now my favorite) afterwards.

I should be more constant when doing my skin care routine, when I've been doing it for some days in a row, my skin looks and feels great, and then I get lazy and it goes back to being dry in some parts and oily in others.

Same here!

Honey is also really good for skin, it has natural antimicrobial properties. So are cinnamon and nutmeg. I use a witch hazel and lavendar oil toner on my skin every morning. When I'm feeling dull, I'll make a paste of coconut oil and baking soda, leave it on 10-15 min then scrub it off. It leaves my skin glowing with no oily residue. Plain aloe is good as a moisturizer if your skin tends to be oily.

While I have been fortunate enough to have had pretty decent skin my whole life, I did go through a spell in my late 20's where I had recurrent cystic acne on my chin and jaw line. I was started on Yaz birth control pills, which helped tremendously. I also went as natural as possible in my skin care and makeup routines.

I cleaned my face with the Simple scrub earlier, then cleansed my skin with a dab of castor oil, before moisturising with an aloe vera product from The Body Shop. My skin - touch wood! - seems to be improving. The blemishes I had are looking better, and I can't see any new ones attempting to appear. I'll wash my face again before I go to bed, and maybe use toothpaste again. I'm excited to try the clay mask once it arrives.

I really should take better care of my skin. I wash it every day with a face wash of some description, but I'm terrible at taking my make-up off at night, and only use face wipes when I do take it off. I really should start cleansing properly. I like my Body Shop one, but if anyone has any good (preferably cheap) alternatives, I'd appreciate it. :)

Eta: Other than baking soda, which I am definitely going to pick up, along with some more tea tree oil.

Archived