Makeup V: Inspired by a Diva

Fragile Bird

Any thoughts on using shampoos without chemicals like SLS? I have been reading some stuff about harmful chemicals, and then some brands purporting to be without SLS. Then there are people who say that such brand simply replace the SLS with other chemicals. Eh. I've tried Burts Bees, I think it's only ok.

Anyways I'm using Paul Mitchell. If you like your scalp to feel cool minty tingly, for shampoos, this one works most consistently for me. I will be desensitised some of the other tingly shampoos after using for a few times but this maintains the tinglyness. Has the side benefit of getting rid of light headaches. Got it cheaper from drugstore.com

That's part of the purpose of cowashing. There are actually lots of shampoos without sls or other strong surfactants. Some are from brands that don't use sls at all, some are shampoos from a line where some do some don't. Coco beteine is a pretty mild surfactant that is much milder. You may have to actually scrub your scalp more. I almost never use shampoo, but brands like Shea moisture, as I am, Giovanni's all have these types of shampoos, there are lots more too. Try googling things like "low poo cg" or "curly girl low poos".

I used to change shampoos often because either my hair would fall out, I would get dandruff, or some ominous mixture of both. First L'Oreal, then Pantene, and I probably tried a few others too..

I now use Tresemme Keratin Smooth shampoo and conditioner, have been doing so for about three years now. I have long, dark, really curly hair which gets extremely dry... but the shampoo and conditioner leaves it lovely and soft. And I usually massage in some coconut oil to give it some moisture. :)

I love my Lolita Lempicka perfume. Every time I wear it people ask me about it. I also like Channel No.12, whereas I don't like No. 5. When I was in Middle School, I fell for the whole Charlie thing. I wore it through High School.

Ok, thanks Xray & ES. I will go sniff those two perfumes to see what I think. But I was pretty much planning on doing what Xray suggested - getting some 'expert' knowledge out of those people who stand around in department stores looking desperate to interact with someone.

I'm not totally sure what I mean by sickly either. I don't like overwhelming perfumes...I only apply a single dab of my perfume. Some of my colleagues walk around all day in a cloud of scent and it's so opressive it hurts my head. Maybe by sickly I mean 'sweet'. Musky is ok so long as it's 'dry'. Um.

I know of a lot of work places in and out of the medical field that have banned their employees from wearing any kind of cologne or perfume. I quit wearing it when I worked in the hospital and now it almost always gives me a terrible headache.

I do sometimes wear mildly scented lotions and I've found that philosophy's Amazing Grace is generally inoffensive to most people and also the different Pacifica scents.

I have a question, has anybody ever used castor oil? Specifically with regards to stimulating hair growth. Not for inducing labour, I'm definitely not pregnant :leaving:

I've heard generally good things about it but was just wondering if anyone has experience of it. I have dark, long, curly hair that was once really thick, until I was about.. 14-15? (I'm almost 21 now) but while it is long, it's pretty thin especially at the bottom.

I use the UD Naked Flushed trio (blush, bronzer, highlighter).

I just bought Too Faced Boudoir Eyes set and have been rocking the crap outta it. I went in to buy the chocolate bar 2, but it was sold out. :( When life takes away chocolate bars, make bedroom eyes.

I have a question, has anybody ever used castor oil? Specifically with regards to stimulating hair growth. Not for inducing labour, I'm definitely not pregnant :leaving:

I've heard generally good things about it but was just wondering if anyone has experience of it. I have dark, long, curly hair that was once really thick, until I was about.. 14-15? (I'm almost 21 now) but while it is long, it's pretty thin especially at the bottom.

I use it on my skin, as I have hydratentits suprativa. Which is, in English, a skin condition which means I regularly develop sebaceous cysts. It's a good skin cleanser, and I've heard good things about it for hair too. You can get it on eBay relatively cheap (can't seem to buy it in shops in the UK, due to the whole inducing labour thing), and you only need to use a small amount at a time.

I really don't like perfume, it always has this weird edge to it to me and usually smells too strong. I use a body mist like I'm still 13 instead. :) I have one "perfume" (which is really just like a concentrated version of one of my BB&B sprays) that I wear for special occasions, and while I do like that one I can only handle it infrequently.

Maybe I just need to find better perfumes, but since my current strategy is cheap I think I'll stick with it. ;)

I was watching Norah Jones singing with Willie Nelson on Saturday, and decided to cut my bangs like hers.

Despite the fact that I have no experience or training, I did it. They're too short, but don't look nearly as bad as I deserve.

I'm wearing lots more eye makeup as well, so I'm feeling a tad bit Tammy Faye these days.

Nora - I felt the same about most perfumes but I was testing at duty free in London earlier in the year and found that the Jadore eau de toilette that just sang to me and I love it. Also fond of the a Channel No 5 brook got me as my first bottle but it is stronger.

Nora - I felt the same about most perfumes but I was testing at duty free in London earlier in the year and found that the Jadore eau de toilette that just sang to me and I love it. Also fond of the a Channel No 5 brook got me as my first bottle but it is stronger.

:kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

That's part of the purpose of cowashing. There are actually lots of shampoos without sls or other strong surfactants. Some are from brands that don't use sls at all, some are shampoos from a line where some do some don't. Coco beteine is a pretty mild surfactant that is much milder. You may have to actually scrub your scalp more. I almost never use shampoo, but brands like Shea moisture, as I am, Giovanni's all have these types of shampoos, there are lots more too. Try googling things like "low poo cg" or "curly girl low poos".

The keywords are very helpful, thank you! Haven't heard of these terms.

I have stopped shampooing so much for the past few years. Maybe once a week. I'm going to try the apple cider vinegar thing. Hope I won't smell. I think my cat will hate me.

There are a few hundred reviews here at makeupalley about castor oil. I generally trust this site's reviews when I want to research about beauty products, just pick out the reviews that apply to your situation.

In case anyone watched Agent Carter last night and wondered where they could get Peggy Carter's amazing red lipstick:

http://cleolinda.tumblr.com/post/107367833534/marvelsagentcarter-an-actual-peggy-carter

I hadn't heard of Besame before. Those colors are not for me but I like the aesthetic of the brand.

One of my favorite smells ever is Opium for Men because I love that dry, musky cedar quality. I've been thinking in the past few days that I'll seek some 'professional' advice for my next perfume purchase. I wonder if an expert can find me a musky, cedary perfume which isn't too sickly?

Do you mean this one?

Top notes are black currant and star anise;

middle notes are galanga and pepper;

base notes are tolu balsam, atlas cedar and bourbon vanilla.

There are a few different versions so go to the main page to get the right one. Try to identify which ingredient you like about this perfume, then find perfumes that use that ingredient.

That's how I discovered I prefer perfumes that has a lily smell. I didn't even realise it until I use this method.

In case anyone watched Agent Carter last night and wondered where they could get Peggy Carter's amazing red lipstick:

http://cleolinda.tumblr.com/post/107367833534/marvelsagentcarter-an-actual-peggy-carter

I hadn't heard of Besame before. Those colors are not for me but I like the aesthetic of the brand.

I haven't watched it, but I dvr'd it and was highly enthusiastic about that lip color. Thanks!

I don't look so great in reds either, but I wear them anyway. They make me feel feisty.

ETA: Am so happy to see karradin posting. <3 <3

I haven't watched it, but I dvr'd it and was highly enthusiastic about that lip color. Thanks!

I don't look so great in reds either, but I wear them anyway. They make me feel feisty.

ETA: Am so happy to see karradin posting. <3 <3

Because of my light, freckly coloring, I usually have a problem with reds too - which doesn't stop me from wearing them either. Hee-hee. I try to go for reds with a blue undertone, though. They cool the look down a bit. If I put on a yellow undertone red, well, it sure ain't pretty.

I watched Agent Carter and it was pretty good, but cartoonish, like all the Marvel movies. :)

Her colours, though, should work on me and I think I might order the lipstick, and the perfume out of curiosity.

I went to the local version of TJ Maxx looking for perfumes mentioned here, but there weren't any in any of the stores I visited. Lots of Beyoncé, Paris Hilton, Lady Gaga et al, even Justin Bieber's Girlfriend ( :stillsick:). But interestingly, they have a huge selection of recent Oscar de la Renta perfumes that I have never sampled - Mi Corazon, Live in Love, Granada, Santa Domingo, Coralina, Oriental Lace. Looking at that web site mentioned by DemiNymph they all came out in the last couple of years. I am going to see if any of them match the scents in my favourite perfumes. But, does anyone here wear them?

My first grown-up perfumes were Chanel No. 5 and Oscar de la Renta, but long ago I started to wear Lauren and wore it for years (I had been shopping for a good navy blue lawyer's suit in a nice shop and could not afford the best suits, and the saleslady said to me, try this suit by this young designer from New York, Ralph Lauren, they fit very nicely and are excellent quality. Then later I tried out the perfume. :) ). I stocked up on it when a saleslady told me it was being phased out, and then a few months later a saleslady tried selling something to me and I said thanks but no thanks, I wear Lauren, and she whipped out a bottle of Calvin Klein Euphoria, a new perfume, and said I'd like it if I liked Lauren. I instantly fell in love with it and have worn it ever since. But I'm open to trying something new, although some caution is indicated, I just went and looked at the bottles of perfume I tried for a while and gave up on, Dune, J'Adore, Red, Beautiful, all woodsy or floral. I put some of the Dune on and it works very nicely on me.

Archived