Makeup V: Inspired by a Diva

Fragile Bird

Not used Sleek, so I can't really compare. The packaging for the MUA makeup is quite flimsy, but the quality of the makeup itself has been pretty good, of the stuff I've tried so far. You can't really go wrong for the price.

I'm running low on Hope in a Jar so I bought a sampler pack of Renewed Hope in a Jar from Ulta to see if the new formulation is as awesome as all the emails from philosophy claim. I also snagged the Urban Decay Ammo palette for 16 dollars! And some Rimmel mascara. I don't need either but the prices were right.

That looks like a great palette of colours, Kair.

I was also out and about today, and stopped off at Sephora to have a look a round. They had a great mascara display, but everything was $25 or $30 or $35. Since I only get a couple of uses out of mascara before my eyes start to hurt (from contamination, I assume) I wandered off to the drug store in the mall and found Maybelline Lash Sensational on sale for $8.99. I assume it will do all that I need.

I also picked up some Vichy face cream, Aqualia Thermal, a hydrating day cream. I tend to try new products, since the companies are always claiming some great breakthrough in skin care.

I like Maybelline Greatlash as much as the super expensive stuff. I do like Smashbox and Lancôme, but I'm not sure I'm going to buy them again. They're too expensive.

Kair, I wish I liked Hope in a Jar. My skin hates it. I have tried it several times.

I'm on my second bottle of SK II facial essence and never plan on being without it again. My skin has never looked better. This stuff, combined with my regular skincare, is dynamite.

I put a ton of eye makeup on today and felt like 100 bucks. No, that's not much, but it's better than the 10 bucks I felt last week.

I'm back to wearing tons of war paint and quite enjoying it.

I wish I could feel like a $100. Right now, I feel like a lump of month-old city snow. But fuck it, I have an OPTIMUS PRIME sweatshirt (gift from MuthaHydra) and the snow is melting. Can't wait to wear warpaint again!

Nice! I have taken to wearing my sandals inside at night because I can't wear them outside. I am dying for spring. I bought two pair of wedge sandals that are so flipping cute it's a crime.

I put on sunscreen for the tailgate on Saturday. That's something! To be outside and stuff.

I could do with some highlights but at the same time I'm liking the visible roots. I think the snow may have finally sent me over edge.

I'm still strengthening an injured ankle, or I'd be wearing hussy shoes inside as well.

I think I need to go shopping with Judith for some blush.

:( hopefully you'll be healed up soon.

Do you or any of you other lovelies have a recommendation on a nude lip color for pale/fair skin complexion?

ETA. Kair, there are times when I love my roots. Remember those Tuesday dolls that had the flip around hair that could be brunette or blonde, but was never really either? That's how I feel with roots. And Tuesday was a hottie.

:( hopefully you'll be healed up soon.

Do you or any of you other lovelies have a recommendation on a nude lip color for pale/fair skin complexion?

ETA. Kair, there are times when I love my roots. Remember those Tuesday dolls that had the flip around hair that could be brunette or blonde, but was never really either? That's how I feel with roots. And Tuesday was a hottie.

Dolce Vita by NARS

or

Pink Truffle Lip Butter by Revlon

both are at least worth a swatch test. Nude without being colorless (at least on me).

I'd settle for feeling like $1. I'm spending 99% of my time for the last >2months in bed, on the few occasions I get myself out of bed I want to look fabulous, so I put some nice clothes on at least, even if whats underneath isn't that special. Sadly sitting up to do make up is out of the question still >_>

Karaddin, I haven't had the intense surgery that you've had, but I can tell you as a person who has been forced to be patient while my body healed; just accept and be kind to yourself. I pushed too hard after my mastectomies. I was miserable and wanted to get back to life as usual. Looking back, I should have been much gentler with myself. I eventually healed up (but good Lord, it took a year and half. Gahhhhh) but it takes time.

Hang in there. I know it's so hard, and so frustrating. If I lived next door I would make you some brownies and homemade fudge sauce. ❤️❤️❤️

Karaddin, I haven't had the intense surgery that you've had, but I can tell you as a person who has been forced to be patient while my body healed; just accept and be kind to yourself. I pushed too hard after my mastectomies. I was miserable and wanted to get back to life as usual. Looking back, I should have been much gentler with myself. I eventually healed up (but good Lord, it took a year and half. Gahhhhh) but it takes time.

Hang in there. I know it's so hard, and so frustrating. If I lived next door I would make you some brownies and homemade fudge sauce. ❤️❤️❤️

I know it probably looks from everything I say that I'm chomping at the bit to get back out there and trying to do stuff, but in all honesty I'm close to a perfect patient that does what my doctor tells me because my OCD dictates that I do. Even on Saturday night for Sydney's equivalent of pride which I had been looking forward to for months, planning Brooks outfit (for some reason I left off my own), dreaming of doing rainbow eyeshadow, I got to the afternoon and just said "I can't do this, my body isn't ready and if I come out I'll be heading home almost immediately and it will be worse than if I just don't come.

Healing is my #1 priority and right now that means staying in this bed as much as possible. I'm actually also very good at not doing much, so I'm as good a person to be in this condition as possible really. I'll survive, just as long as I have the pain management I need.

I know it probably looks from everything I say that I'm chomping at the bit to get back out there and trying to do stuff, but in all honesty I'm close to a perfect patient that does what my doctor tells me because my OCD dictates that I do. Even on Saturday night for Sydney's equivalent of pride which I had been looking forward to for months, planning Brooks outfit (for some reason I left off my own), dreaming of doing rainbow eyeshadow, I got to the afternoon and just said "I can't do this, my body isn't ready and if I come out I'll be heading home almost immediately and it will be worse than if I just don't come.

Healing is my #1 priority and right now that means staying in this bed as much as possible. I'm actually also very good at not doing much, so I'm as good a person to be in this condition as possible really. I'll survive, just as long as I have the pain management I need.

You're a better woman than I am. I am a terrible patient. I think part of my problem was I just wanted to put the whole experience behind me and pretend that it never happened. Which doesn't ever really work. :/ Live and learn.

I want pics of the rainbow eye shadow.

I've fallen in love with a sea-green Mally eyeliner I got from Ulta. So when I want more than mascara I wear a thin line of it on my upper lid. Today I was in a rush and the pencil was dull and I made a much thicker line on one lid so I thickened up the other. Didn't like what I was sewing so I tried to blend it in with one of the greens from my Ammo palette. I fear I'm straight out of the Emerald City but no time to fix it. Off to see the wizard!

• 2 weeks later...

Kair, I meant to post that I wanted to see an example of the Emerald City eye, but never did it; I'm sorry. I wish you would send me one next time you do it. I know it will be stunning with your hair and complexion.

Okay, Makeup Thread; I'm about to blow you up. Please forgive me, but I need to get this stuff of my chest, it sort of applies to this thread, and I don't want to make a topic on this in GC.

So, I have a friend who is 10 years younger than me who got Botox last week (not judging - I love her and she's a dear friend and whatever makes her happy and all that jazz) because she wanted to do something nice for herself. She wanted me to go to a 'girls' night out' thing at the doctor's office/spa where they sip wine and nibble on whatever and you find out about all the ways you can get more attractive and defy age and gravity. I opted out. But the episode has sort of made me realize that I'm having to work hard to 'stay me'. The cancer, then the last 3 years in PTSD/bipolar spouse territory, and then the subsequent divorce have left me with a giddy feeling of freedom, but I can easily see why people lose their minds after a divorce. So I'm trying hard not to lose myself, while at the same time enjoying my new freedom. I'm spending more time and money on myself, indulging in some hobbies, and making travel plans. But I don't want to forget that I am still basically the same human being I was 2 years ago. I don't want to turn into Paris Hilton because I'm suddenly single again after 23 years.

I guess the reason why I wanted to post this here, is that it feels safe here, and I know so many of you personally, and you are lovely inside as well as out, which sort of reminds me of this thread. So, I'm just going to continue focusing on the things I hold dear, like my friends and family, my church, my sobriety, and also enjoying a little selfish fun stuff without going nuts. Any advice you have on this is welcomed and appreciated. If you prefer to pm me, that's great.

And if selfish, fun stuff includes a lovely green eyeliner, all the better.

P.S. In order to make this post on-topic, I have rediscovered the Naked 3 palette with the rosy hued shadows - it's my new favorite thing. It really makes green eyes pop. I bet it would be gorgeous on brown, blue, and grey as well, though.

Archived