Makeup V: Inspired by a Diva

Fragile Bird

If I don't like it I will send it to you free of charge in exchange for a handicorn. How's that? :P But I bet I like it - it's gotten terrific reviews on Sephora.

Does anyone have experience with Shiseido skincare products? I have a sample of Ibuki refining moisturizer and I'm thinking about trying out their starter kit.

http://m.sephora.com/product/P393009

I've been using philosophy products for over a year but I really like the Ibuki so far.

So, I ordered it to give it a spin. Sephora was still acknowledging my birthday (It was two weeks ago) and I scooped up my gift which was a set of mini Nars lip pencils in Rikugien and Cruella. I also used some of my Sephora points to get a sample of Lancome Hypnose Drama mascara which if I recall has mixed reviews from the ladies of the board.

Hello ladies! I'm almost out of my face moisturizer. I got it from a lady who does facials, but I don't want to go back to her. It's organic and it's an "arctic berry Peptide cream." I don't know about the whole berry and Peptide thing, but what I really like is that it's very Cuando refreshing. It has the consistency of Sour Cream. I prefer that to other lighter creams. Does anyone currently use a face moisturizer that has that consistency?

I use the moisturizer after I use a Retinol cream so I don't need a moisturizer with Retinol in it. Any suggestions? Thank you!! :)

Bai, give Colleen Rothchild's line a try. I like her nighttime recovery cream. Beautyhabit carries the line, or you can go to her website. The cleansing balm is nothing short of amazing.

You all have more money in your makeup budget than I do! I just have to go to the drugstore, or make my own stuff.

Witch Hazel with a few drops of pure tea tree oil makes a good astringent toner. Tea Tree oil can often be found in the drugstore and it is expensive but it's highly concentrated and will last for months. It's good for hair and skin.

Pure Vitamin E Oil can also be purchased at the drugstore and is good for cuticles, lips, skin, you can eat it.

You all have more money in your makeup budget than I do! I just have to go to the drugstore, or make my own stuff.

Witch Hazel with a few drops of pure tea tree oil makes a good astringent toner. Tea Tree oil can often be found in the drugstore and it is expensive but it's highly concentrated and will last for months. It's good for hair and skin.

Pure Vitamin E Oil can also be purchased at the drugstore and is good for cuticles, lips, skin, you can eat it.

Part of the great thing about being 46 is that I can afford some nice stuff once in a blue moon. Unfortunately, wrinkles come with this. :D

Alba makes great stuff that I use all the time, and it's cheap. I also still use Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap and lavender soap. I use them on my face and body, and I use them to clean my house! Good stuff and good for the environment.

Bai, give Colleen Rothchild's line a try. I like her nighttime recovery cream. Beautyhabit carries the line, or you can go to her website. The cleansing balm is nothing short of amazing.

We have no Beautyhabit in these parts. so I'll check it online. I'll have to try Dr. Bronner's soaps. I love L'Occitane soaps but they are so expensive!

Does anyone have experience with Shiseido skincare products? I have a sample of Ibuki refining moisturizer and I'm thinking about trying out their starter kit.

http://m.sephora.com/product/P393009

I've been using philosophy products for over a year but I really like the Ibuki so far.

I used their cleansing foam and sunblock for a while. This brand seems to have more sillicon than I like, but it's no biggie. I've since switched to Korean brands.

We have no Beautyhabit in these parts. so I'll check it online. I'll have to try Dr. Bronner's soaps. I love L'Occitane soaps but they are so expensive!

Girl, you know I don't have a Beautyhabit in my neck of the woods. I always order online.

I just bought a new lipstick, Rimmel Kate Moss Lasting Finish Matte Lipstick. I got the bright red, I think the number is 111. I love this, it's matte but not dry or flaky, it goes on very smooth, and smells nice. I only tested it once at home and then wiped it off, so I haven't given the "lasting finish" claim a true test drive. Under $6, they're a fair deal.

Do you use makeup sponges to blend your makeup? I usually use my fingertips or a brush.

I never quite understood how you were supposed to use sponges for foundation when instructed to "apply with a damp sponge" because it seems as if that would compromise the makeup by smearing it with water, making it more difficult to apply, and that the sponge would do more absorbing of the makeup off your face rather than applying it.

I do have some shadow applicator sponges with a round and a pointed tip, which are useful for smudging shadow, but they're in a little plastic baggie in a drawer in the bathroom, so most of the time I don't bother to get one out.

I actually prefer drugstore skin care to the more expensive products for the most part. I've found that they're the most gentle and effective for my skin type (dry + sensitive + retin-user). After trying a number of products, I've had the best luck when I'm using Cetaphil/ CeraVE and not much more.

Do you use makeup sponges to blend your makeup? I usually use my fingertips or a brush.

I never quite understood how you were supposed to use sponges for foundation when instructed to "apply with a damp sponge" because it seems as if that would compromise the makeup by smearing it with water, making it more difficult to apply, and that the sponge would do more absorbing of the makeup off your face rather than applying it.

I do have some shadow applicator sponges with a round and a pointed tip, which are useful for smudging shadow, but they're in a little plastic baggie in a drawer in the bathroom, so most of the time I don't bother to get one out.

You're referring to something like the beauty blender, right? You hold it under water, squeezing a few times. Then remove from water, squeeze the excess, and using dabbing motions, blend in your foundation. You don't mix the water with your makeup. Rather, the point of wetting it is so that the sponge doesn't absorb your makeup during application. And try not to "smear;" it's a tapping motion.

You're referring to something like the beauty blender, right? You hold it under water, squeezing a few times. Then remove from water, squeeze the excess, and using dabbing motions, blend in your foundation. You don't mix the water with your makeup. Rather, the point of wetting it is so that the sponge doesn't absorb your makeup during application. And try not to "smear;" it's a tapping motion.

Hey thanks! I think you know what I'm referring to, it's usually found in a wedge shape. Tapping, you say? I'll have to give this another try. I gave up those sponges years ago.

I got 3 NYX lipsticks at Ulta over the weekend, each for less than $3 each. I really like them, too.

Ooh ooh which colors?

I just got two MAC lipsticks (my first foray into MAC products) - Ruby Woo (a must have for everyone) and Hot Tahiti. Ruby Woo is my first real matte, and I'm sold. Long lasting, it doesn't crack, and it smells terrific.

Hey thanks! I think you know what I'm referring to, it's usually found in a wedge shape. Tapping, you say? I'll have to give this another try. I gave up those sponges years ago.

oh-- i do know of those wedges, but I don't think I've ever used one (though, I do know you tap with those too, otherwise you get streaks). I thought you meant one of these. If you're getting uneven application of face makeup, and/ or need a more seamless blend to your concealer, the beauty blender I linked could be a good investment for you. I think sephora makes it's own version for less money.

Ooh ooh which colors?

I just got two MAC lipsticks (my first foray into MAC products) - Ruby Woo (a must have for everyone) and Hot Tahiti. Ruby Woo is my first real matte, and I'm sold. Long lasting, it doesn't crack, and it smells terrific.

They are glossy, natural colors. I love them! I can't remember but one, which is #550.

I haven't tried out the full complement of items in the kit but I have used the ULTIMUNE Power Infusing Concentrate and I really like the way it makes my skin feel. I'm curious to see what will happen if I use it under a non-Shiseido moisturizer.

Archived